Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

I agree Seven News Melbourne’s team is strong (lots of veterans).

However, Seven News Sydney is too. Chris Reason, Robert Ovadia, Paul Kadak to name a few.

1 Like

###Week 32 - Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

1 Like

###Week 33 - Very Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Wins not given for 6.30 in Adelaide and Perth. Subject to more than the usual adjustment.

1 Like

…and Seven News Sydney has officially won it’s first ratings week of 2016. But of course, I would not be terribly surprised (although I don’t personally agree with the tactic) if Nine thinks that this Olympics week ratings win shouldn’t count towards the final tally at the end of the year. Let the spin begin! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was actually always under the impression that Olympic TV didn’t count towards official ratings lol

Which proves Mark Ferguson has to stay :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“Wade, post:109, topic:514, full:true”]
I was actually always under the impression that Olympic TV didn’t count towards official ratings lol
[/quote] It probably shouldn’t TBH.

2 Likes

Great week for Seven News.

###Week 34 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Wins not given for 6.30 National, Adelaide and Perth. Subject to more than the usual adjustment.

2 Likes

So, Seven News has won 4 weeks (3 weeks officially) in Melbourne so far.

Is that the best result since 2011 @TV.Cynic?

###Week 35 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

1 Like

###Week 36 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Lots of red this week.

1 Like

It’s very interesting in Sydney and Melbourne at the moment.

The gap in Sydney = 27k
The gap in Melbourne = 18k

2 Likes

And in Brisbane too as 7 is just about to draw level with 9… I think they’ve won the last 11 weeks in a row.

2 Likes

Nine News has declined this year, many nights not even rating 1m nationally now?

Also wondering why Nine News is no longer rating ay least 300k+ in Sydney?

But yes, very interesting.

Thoughts @SydneyCityTV?

There are several factors that may explain the current ratings. Viewers liking The Chase Australia and not so much Hot Seat? Seven News’ gradual branding refresh throughout 2016? Backlash from automation at Nine?

Personally, I think we’ll see a major promotional push and/or a branding refresh of Nine News sometime in the not too distant future. If that doesn’t work, that’s when I think Nine might have to think about the lead-in program and unfortunately, possibly even some newsroom cutbacks further down the track like we’ve seen at the newsrooms of Seven and Ten in recent years.

But in the meantime, I definitely think it’ll be very interesting to see what the ratings are like for Nine News Sydney during NRL finals time…

1 Like

I think that is probably one of the main reason for ‘making the switch’ to Seven News. From night to night, Seven often loose ground in the 6.30 section, which to me says that the flow over from The Chase helps Seven News for half.

I also think Seven’s recent ‘improvement’ of the presenting line-up (with Mel McLaughlin and more David Brown) has helped their appeal.

1 Like

###Week 37 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Rather interesting to see a near sea of red in Sydney and a near sea of green in Melbourne. Weather related, possibly?

…and this week the gap continues to decrease.

The gap in Sydney = 24k The gap in Melbourne = 14k

Seven will number No 1 in both these markets by Christmas. Shows you what a lead in can do, along with constancy. 2017 will be interesting.

As well as the lead-in program*, one has to wonder if the implementation of automated studio control and/or the 60 Minutes child kidnapping scandal have also harmed the ratings of Nine News much this year.

*Yes, the lead-in program can often determine the luck that a news bulletin has but if one 6pm news bulletin was particularly popular (or not) over the other, you’d see that reflected in the ratings regardless of any lead-in program.

Only time will tell whether or not you’re right with that prediction, but I won’t be surprised to see more regular ratings wins (including possibly some weeks) by Seven News Sydney during those awkward 4-6 weeks or so for Nine between the football and cricket seasons…

Especially if Seven eventually appoints a certain refugee from 60 Minutes to be their main Sydney 6pm newsreader.

Personally I still think it’s nothing short of mind boggling how network defects get better treatment by Seven News Sydney than longtime presenters (even if it’s probably ingrained within the culture at the network), but I’m digressing here…

1 Like