Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Nine News with Peter Hitchener has been the highest rating bulletin in Australia for a few years now, with previous averages of over 400k.

Are we seeing Seven News with Peter Mitchell, making a massive crack at it? :open_mouth:

@SydneyCityTV

7 just pipped by 9 in Brisbane. Itā€™s going to go down to the wire I think!

2 Likes

Should be fairly self-explanatory - these are the results for the full one hour (incl TT in Adelaide and Perth).

3 Likes

3 Likes

I take it the Olympics was on when Seven News spiked above Nine News in Melbourne & Sydney?

Also, why was Nine News so high in Melbourne around Week 25?

Yes

Monday afternoon football - Queenā€™s Bā€™day

1 Like

That doesnā€™t make any sense?

Nine News (not Seven News)?

###Week 37 - Final

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Adjustment from preliminary numbers for week 37 - In Brisbane, Seven at 6pm had more viewers (197,200 to 196,800) but after OzTAM rounding it was a tie.

1 Like

###Week 38 - Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Lot or green this week, except Brisbane. It seems that have the rights to football codes isnā€™t having any flow on effect to weekday news numbers for either Nine in Sydney or Seven in Melbourne despite it being finals time.

1 Like

In saying that though @TV.Cynic, last Friday (leading-in to AFL final btw Geelong & Hawthorn), Seven News had one of their highest rating Friday bulletins of 2016, around 1.1m?

It was also the ā€˜technical issuesā€™ night in Melbourne, but did nothing to the ratings.

But a good result on one day was not enough to see Seven News Melbourneā€™s ratings last week lower than the week before as indicated by the red in the table.

1 Like

###Week 39 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

9 News Perth up by an average of 600 over the previous week!

Otherwise school hols in a couple of states leading to lots of red.

3 Likes

Quite the sea of red this week. I wonder why every bulletin in Sydney was down this week, I thought that the school holidays here in NSW didnā€™t start until next week?

Anyway, Iā€™m sure that both networks will be hoping that AFL/NRL Grand Final fever (especially if it manages to become a ā€œSydney vs Melbourneā€ affair in one or both games) will give the news ratings an increase next week!

2 Likes

Are the Brisbane figures correct? They seem different to TVT which gives 9 an overall winā€¦ If Iā€™m reading it correctly.

I am standing by my numbers at the moment. I think that Seven made a coding error and coded Seven News Saturday as a Mon-Fri bulletin. Happy to adjust if proven wrong though :slight_smile: Perhaps some more info will come to hand.

1 Like

I believe Nineā€™s news set in Sydney hasnā€™t been changed sinceā€¦ Forever.

###Week 40 - Final

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Despite Adelaide news bulletins recording 0 or 1,000 on Wednesday, the ratings for Thursday were approx double the usual result so there was little affect on the weekly average - at 6pm Seven News was down just 3,000 and Nine News actually was up 9,000 on the previous week.

Elsewhere a rare win for Seven in Melbourne and Nine in Brisbane closing in on a win for the year (19 weeks won at 6pm)

5 Likes

###Week 41 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Nine News Brisbane now with 21 weeks won at 6pm. Elsewhere, mostly red with a couple of green spots representing some very small increases from the previous week.

1 Like

The start of Daylight Saving and warmer weather definitely made an impact on those Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide ratings.