Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

On Alice Monfries Instagram post you can see Channel 9 have a screen up comparing both Nine News Sydney and Seven News Sydney ratings. Interesting that they have it up on the main news area.

(3 images zoomed in)

5 Likes

Week 48 2020

Weeks won - Ratings Year

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 48 2019

This brings to an end the 40-week official ratings period.

And in the last week, Seven Sydney takes out a surprise win to break Nine’s winning streak in that market. Nine Brisbane was the only other bulletin to improve, thanks to no early pre-SOO Wednesday bulletin.

The biggest change was Nine Sydney dropping 38,000. Adelaide viewers interest in Nine’s bulletin during the lockdown lessened with the bulletin dropping 23,000 week-on-week though Seven was also down by 10,000. 85,500 for Nine is still up 65% on the same week last year.

In the 5-city market, Seven was down 39,000 and Nine 64,000 from the previous week. Numbers are starting to settle back to pre-COVID numbers for most markets.

Still to come, after the break, average audience numbers and comparisons to 2019.

4 Likes

It was neck in neck after Seven’s victories on Monday & Tuesday night, Nine won Wednesday & Thursday but it probably would’ve been last night’s stuffups during the Opener on Nine which got Seven over the line.

While I’ll be quick to point out that it wasn’t a huge weekly win for Seven News Sydney, after a fairly dismal year in the ratings (aside from that brief period of 2010-like ratings in April, particularly during the first half of the bulletin) I think the Martin Place newsroom will happily accept a win which prevented Nine from making a clean sweep of the 6.30pm hour & overall hour ratings.

4 Likes

Surely you’re taking the piss, right? I just had a look at the minute-by-minute ratings for the Sydney bulletin last night, and there was no viewer switch off during the ‘stuff-up’, or the minutes that followed.

1 Like

Do you work for one of the networks?

If not, how do you access the minute by minute ratings?

1 Like

2020 Ratings Year

Average audience - overnight, preliminary, unofficial

I’ve included the weekend numbers to reflect some markets where the news shifts are not Mon-Fri.

Percentage change from 2019

ABC showed the biggest increase year-on-year in the 5-city market plus for three individual bulletins. Nine had the biggest improvement in Melbourne, while 10 surprised by improving the most in Perth. 10’s Brisbane and Adelaide and Nine’s Perth bulletins rated lower despite COVID pushing news ratings higher in general.

6 Likes

I wonder how much of the collapse in ratings for 10 News First Queensland & Adelaide happened after the presentation of bulletins was centralised interstate? :thinking:

Pretty good year for ABC News at 7pm - let’s hope they continue to challenge ACA in the ratings in 2021!

2 Likes

Nice to see Katrina Blowers maintaining Seven’s lead over Nine on weekends in Brisbane after Kay McGrath retired.

3 Likes

Now it’s just to figure out what’s happening on weekdays - but as far as I can tell, I still don’t get why Nine Queensland seems to win those days (although there has been a trend of late with Seven winning the first half hour slot).

1 Like

In terms of weeks won, Seven News had really went backwards in both Melbourne and Brisbane. Seven News Melbourne did not win a single week in the 6pm-6.30pm segment during official ratings, and the second half of the bulletin won half the number of weeks it got in 2019. COVID-19 (which caused a huge disruption to the AFL season) and the revival of Hot Seat were the main factors. Still, Melbourne news director Shaun Menegola has his work cut out to improve the bulletin’s ratings in 2021.

1 Like

He seemed to do well within his first year as news director in Melbourne. This year has been a big set back. His from Perth yes?

Yes, Shaun is from Perth.

1 Like

It’s bizarre to see that Seven Melbourne did so well in 2019 then completely crash and burned this year.

I think their sensationalist approach and too many changes to the set have driven viewers away.

If Ten decide to go to a national bulletin and axe Jennifer Keyte, then it would be in Seven’s best interests to bring her back to the network.

2 Likes

With the Andrews Government having an almost 70% approval rating in Victoria , I think Seven have miss read the Melbourne audience and the structure of their news stories through Covid and the resent lockdowns.

I’m inclined to think Sunrise falling in Melbourne is also playing a part on the nightly bulletin and the 7 news brand as whole. If I’m not mistaken Sunrise was winning Melbourne in 2019, now it’s 3rd behind News Breakfast and Today.

The local Melbourne Afternoon News which was a ratting winner for the station, has also fallen to 2nd spot behind Nines products.

HSV7 local publicity department was also axed last year along with local sports based shows. This all plays a part on the bigger picture. Shame.

5 Likes

I think you have hit the nail on the head

1 Like

Week 49 2020

Weeks won - Full Year

Week 49 2019

The first week of summer ‘no-ratings’ period and there were come close contests. Seven narrowly won Brisbane and at 6pm in Sydney. Overall Seven dropped 29,000 while Nine gained 100 extra viewers from last week.

3 Likes

Wow 200 viewers apart from Nine and Seven in Sydney. Very close.

4 Likes

Worth noting that in 2018, Seven News won its only ratings week in Sydney by just 100 viewers - and it just happened to be the biggest news week of the year (when Malcolm Turnbull got deposed as Prime Minister by Scott Morrison).

3 Likes

Now Seven need to look at the 6:30pm half hour in Sydney where sport and weather are key features.

Looks like some Sydneysiders turn from Seven to Nine at 6:30pm as perhaps they’d rather have Cam Williams and Amber Sherlock present their sport and weather, as opposed to Mel McLaughlin and Angie Asimus on Seven.

It’s pretty obvious how Seven News Sydney could instantly improve the sports segment - by replacing Mel McLaughlin with Matt Shirvington.

From a weather coverage perspective I’d personally like to see Seven News Sydney bring in a new meteorologist, but realistically think we’ll see them stick with Angie Asimus and Sally Bowrey for the foreseeable future.

2 Likes