Seven News Presenters and Reporters

Is there any chance I could possibly ask you to take a photo of the article please?

1 Like

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/annette-sharp-rebecca-gibney-bares-her-belly-for-her-birthday/news-story/9eed1912ec5c0a9b622d6859046ae468

Here’s the link:

Not sure about others here, but I’m only going to believe that Seven News Sydney are actually moving on from Mark Ferguson if and when a network press release comes out.

There’s probably been speculation about Fergo’s future every year since he took the main chair and so far, it has resulted in nothing even if most of the on-air people around him (sports presenters, weather presenters, secondary newsreaders and a boatload of reporters) have changed since 2014.

2 Likes

The major difference this year is the addition of Ange and the double header. I’d say that is worthy of discussion as opposed to every other year there’s been no evidence of a change, this time there is.

1 Like

Clearly Seven does not dominate the 6pm news market in Brisbane, after going backward with respect to Nine this year.

The difference in audience between Seven and Nine in Sydney averages 25,000 across the hour - so that’s about 10% difference. Hardly a total repudiation of Seven’s product. Ratings results for this year:

I think she wrote that “story” after reading speculation here on Media Spy. :rofl:

4 Likes

“Angie Asimus bringing some old school blonde glamour to the weather bulletin” - had a male journalist wrote something like that, they’d (quite rightly) be called sexist!

The problem isn’t that Seven News Sydney is slightly behind Nine in the ratings.

The problem is that Mark Ferguson has not won one of the 7 ratings years he’s been in the main chair for and has only experienced limited ratings success (a few weeks here and there) during this time. Nine moved on from Fergo as their main Sydney 6pm newsreader after he lost 4 ratings years!

I don’t think it’s unfair to say that after nearly three quarters of a decade, Seven News Sydney would benefit from a new main presenter of their bulletins who can better compete with Peter Overton (and in his absence Georgie Gardner, who outrated Fergo this week) on Nine. For all I know Mark Ferguson might be a perfectly fine person in real life but as a newsreader, he’s just not clicking with Sydney viewers…and it’s kind of important that newsreaders do form some level of connection with their audience if they’re to do well in the ratings.

He’s still got a bit of QTQ left in him by the sounds of it.

4 Likes

Yes, yelling is a very Wally Lewis thing to do.

Saturday: Chris Reason presenting in Sydney

5 Likes

Saturday: Joel Dry presenting again in Brisbane, which is great.

2 Likes

Saturday (19.12.2020) - Sunday (20.12.2020): Joel Dry is presenting in Brisbane this weekend. Pat Welsh is on sport and Paul Burt is doing the weather.

5 Likes

Joel Dry vs. Adam Hegarty is quite an even match-up and it will be interesting to see the ratings. I feel like Joel has better diction than Adam though, as Adam sometimes can be a bit hard to understand when reading.

3 Likes

Yeah- they are both meh. Joel is more fluent, doesn’t smile during the news and doesn’t gesture excessively (or at all), so he is slightly better. He needs to work on the shouting though.

2 Likes

And poor old Wally has the worst intonation. He reads like a Year 2 student reads their home reader. lol

with Mel McLaughlin presenting sport from the Adelaide Oval, and Samantha Brett presenting the weather.

This weekend in Melbourne (Sat 19 Dec-Sun 20 Dec): Blake Johnson is presenting, with Sean Sowerby presenting sport and Estelle Griepink presenting the weather.

2 Likes

Incorrect. Seven News Melbourne really has only made a weak comeback at the most, and continues to trail their counterpart.
I’m not sure where Sydney being the only problem came from, they’ve trailed in the two eastern states for a long time now…

They are likely to regain momentum in 2021 though.

1 Like

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/truecrimeaustralia/police-courts/the-snitch-channel-7-reporter-robert-ovadia-arrested-after-filming-in-courthouse/news-story/666743a4ea4ed1f49267de3fc3109ffa

Will Rob be stood down, or even sacked, by Seven?