Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Week 1 2021

Week 1 2020

Weeks won - 2021

First week of the new ratings year.

All bulletins were up from the final week of 2020 that included low rating Christmas Day with Nine closing the gap significantly on recent results.

Adelaide was a highlight for Nine were the bulletin won three out of five days plus the 6.30pm segment; though Seven News finishes at 6:45 on four nights due to BBL commitments.

In Sydney Nine’s bulletin beat the new presenting team on Seven and performed comparability better than week 1 of 2020.

4 Likes

Very close in Adelaide.

Nine have massive problems in Perth. Terrible numbers over there. How is the local 5pm news hour going?

2 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking, and definitely shows improvement after Nine Adelaide struggled to make a dent on these charts for probably a few years!

@TV.Cynic Did 10 Brisbane and Adelaide have YOY growth at any point during the year? Up until the last quarter?

2 Likes

Up until the change - during the ratings period - Brisbane was down 6% but Adelaide was up 2%.

4 Likes

Week 2 2021

Weeks won - 2021

Week 2 2020

That didn’t take long :grinning: - Nine wins its first week since January 2018. Big wins for Nine across the east coast to an over 10% improvement on week 2 of 2020. That was led by Brisbane up 23% and Adelaide up 25%, though in Perth the bulletin was down 5%.

Seven dropped in Sydney, Melbourne as well as Adelaide that was down 16%.

2 Likes

Huge probs to Nine! Winning Adelaide is certainly close with their momentum. If this continues, these ratings wars between Seven News & Nine News will be interesting for 2021.

Come on Nine! Step up your game in Perth.

And come on 7, claim back Brisbane!

2 Likes

I’m reasonably confident that in 2021 we’ll be talking about another successful year in the ratings for Nine News Sydney.

Seven needs to relaunch its entire news service (right up to the general reporting style, etc.) if they’re to gain any longterm momentum in this market. With the way things seem to have been going recently, it actually surprises me that ABC News at 7pm hasn’t yet overtaken Seven in the Sydney ratings.

2 Likes

Nationally? I don’t see that making much sense - especially when they do so well in Perth and in Adelaide (for now)
It’s probably just the lack of content towards the east.

Would you not think more people would still traditionally watch at 6pm compared to 7pm?

Obviously not tacky and tabloid enough in Brisbane!

Week 3 2021

Weeks won - 2021

Week 3 2020

After last week’s win, Nine dropped 55,000 across the 5 city markets; the biggest change was a drop from the previous Friday’s result where Nine was boosted by Brisbane lockdown news, however Sydney and Melbourne also slipped by 10k each. Brisbane and Adelaide proved the closest results.

19/01/2021 Updated to final numbers.

4 Likes

Seven seem to have started off better in Brisbane. Adelaide will be interesting this year though.

3 Likes

I assume that is due to the cricket

Week 4 2021

Weeks won - 2021

Week 4 2020

In preliminary numbers for the week both Seven (34,000) and Nine (23,000) gained viewers across the five cities. The stand out performers were Seven Melbourne (up 45,000) and Nine Brisbane (up 25,000).

In Brisbane the return of the main reading duo on Seven was easily beaten on every night by Nine’s stand in Paul Taylor who AFAIK isn’t even part of the Brisbane news team. Time to consider some changes there I think.

Updated 25/01/2021

3 Likes

Got no doubt the cricket helped, but its also clear the return of Peter Mitchell helped bring 7 Melbourne numbers back up. I believe he is Seven Melbourne’s longest serving weeknight presenter? Not bad for all the criticism he gets.

4 Likes

IMO Mitch is the best anchor at HSV-7 and they’d be silly to axe him.

The issues at Seven Melbourne are not with presenters, but the content of the bulletin. I also believe they’d have a better chance of winning if they got a publicity and sales team back in Melbourne, which they dumped at the end of 2019.

At the end of the day, promotions/publicity/sales/advertising etc. are beneficial.

It would also help if they restored a local travel show to lead into the Sunday news.

2 Likes

Do you mean beneficial?
I agree Seven needs a local travel show. It axed Melbourne Weekender too soon. Problem is, such a travel show can only be shown when live sport (such as AFL) is not on air.

2 Likes

Oops my bad, I meant beneficial.

I also recall that after Melbourne Weekender was axed, they launched a show called something along the lines of “The Great Weekend” with Brian Taylor, Jane Bunn, Jack Riewoldt and Brooke Hogan as presenters, before it was axed at the end of 2019.

1 Like

It wasn’t a bad show, but didn’t attract the same attention. Maybe those four can be part of a refreshed Melbourne Weekender or some sort of other show to rival Postcards?