Seven Tennis Coverage

I feel it’s time the poor guy got a break! He covers almost all of 7’s sport and has done for years. Eventually this takes a toll on you - so must have wanted a break and I believe well deserved!

5 Likes

Seven are taking the ‘world feed’ for the Hopman Cup produced by Tennis Australia so they wouldn’t have control over that

A newer design Sponsor Billboard. Possibly a hint of wider changes to the On-Air Presentation package for Seven Sport in 2017?

This older one (SD only!) was still being used today as well:

2 Likes

Is there a chance one of the sponsor billboards came in-house (from the tennis production) & the other was a network sponsor billboard into/out of an ad break from BCM?

Also Johanna Griggs won’t be part of the Australian Open either due to House Rules filming (as the case in 2015)

Former player Kerryn Pratt will not be a commentator at the Australian Open nor its lead-up tournaments after she resigned from Tennis Australia board in early 2016, ending a 15-year media stint. She told the Herald Sun her commentary contract with TA was terminated, as a retribution for speaking out on “difficult issues” while serving on the board, one of which included the 2015-19 media deal with Seven.

3 Likes

What’s happening at the hopman cup? Australian ties would usually sell out at the burswood dome and the early years at Perth arena. Tonight’s tie crowd looks half full. Is the tournament on the wane?

I think it’s more about who is representing Australia and the state of tennis in the country.

1 Like

Big Bash has eaten into some of the ‘summer of tennis’ - more for lead in tournaments. But I agree, Kyrgios needs to do A LOT to get any public affection back. Federer was a sell out last night so I think the tournament is doing ok

3 Likes

Thank god for that.

It would be nice if Seven put the current tennis content on 7mate ahead of 7TWO given 7mate is HD in regional areas (Prime7/GWN7, & last I heard Seven West Media-owned 7 in regional Qld too).

They had the biggest crowd, 13,500, in the tournament history on Monday when Federer was playing.

1 Like

As if cricket is so much better. I would rather watch any tennis match than watch even 5 minutes of cricket.

1 Like

Well it looks like way more people enjoy watching the cricket (BBL, test matches) than tennis according to the ratings over the past couple of years. Can’t argue against facts in afraid. And I personally prefer cricket (I love it) but I don’t mind a bit of tennis especially during the Australian Open

1 Like

I cant argue with that but isnt it better to have more choice on TV rather than 1 sport being on all the time. I am also pretty sure that the Australian Open averages more viewers overall than the cricket.

2 Likes

Well the BBL rated higher than the tennis last year.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/tennis/twenty20-big-bash-league-hits-australian-open-for-six-in-television-ratings/news-story/640d1da898c87249d7a794a9be779f47

2 Likes

I did say overall, those ratings are for two nights only.

I’m pretty sure BBL beat the tennis overall as well

1 Like

It’s comparing apples with oranges (so to speak). They are presented and consumed very differently. Cricket is on one channel at any one time. There is never any overlap (as far as I am aware) with another match - even test matches and BBL are scheduled to not overlap. Tennis on the other hand is on two channels. Airs all day and most of the night straight for two whole weeks (+lead in tournaments) and now you can select to watch ANY televised court on the 7Tennis app further fracturing the market but providing more overall consumers.

Overall cricket will get the headlines as the highest rated on any one night, but overall the reality is they are both EXTREMELY valuable to their respective networks. Just in different ways

6 Likes

There’s no doubt BBL cricket has created strong competition for the Australian Open over the last couple of weeks of January, which I’m not sure is necessarily a bad thing.
Most people always think cricket, but everyone seems to love tennis just as much (possibly more women) & Seven (similarly to Nine with test cricket) have had the rights since 1975.

But Seven still dominate the shares over the 14 day period & the finals attract huge ratings (2005 Men’s Final for example - OzTam record to this day).

More importantly, Seven promote the hell out of MKR which usually gives them the yearly win.

I wouldn’t call it dominating - of the 14 days of the Open last year, Seven won the night on just 7 days. 6 of those days were over 30% but Nine also rated over 30% on 4 days (and Ten on 1).

1 Like