Seven Tennis Coverage

Was widely speculated back then this was off. Stunk of some sort of corruption.

1 Like

I’m of that same mindset because that article which littlegezzybear linked to has no (from what I read) substantive information/details about the potential conflict of interest and which board member/s would have such a conflict

It’s odd enough to not go to market to raise questions.
There’s a difference between conflict of interest and corruption (it’s possible to not own shares in a broadcaster but take a backhander; not suggesting any such thing happened).
It may have been that Seven presented a great case for sticking with them and Tennis Australia was happy to do so.
Broadcast rights revenue isn’t everything; sometimes the better coverage a sport would hope to achieve with a particular partner is worth it, plus there is a cost in running a tender process, the evaluation, and how do you structure it? Tender for a single partner or split events?
For example each broadcaster will (want to) have exclusive contracts with commentators (including former high profile foreign players), so such splits could result in some of the events broadcast having better/worse commentary than others, and TA would lose the cohesive ‘summer of tennis’ thing Seven has advertised, which I imagine TA would also like.

1 Like

I see Hamish McLachlan returning to Fromt the Brisbane International likewise to Basil Zempilas with the Hopman Cup.

Quite clearly yes.

I think the exposure (and the quality of the coverage) is amazing what tennis gets with Seven and honestly sacrificing a bit of money to keep that is good for the game.

1 Like

This is interesting. According to the Sunday Herald Sun, Bruce McAvaney will have a holiday instead of commentating matches at the Australian Open. However he will call the Davis Cup tie between Australia and the Czech Republic the weekend after the Open. Lleyton Hewitt will be calling more matches now he has retired from competitive tennis.

2 Likes

Hopman Cup

1 Like

Regional Queensland has an HD bug

2 Likes

No ‘HD’ add-on in Canberra (where 7mate is HD).

As I like the Hopman Cup & while it’s on 7mate HD right now, I guess I don’t yet mind the lack of Prime7HD, but it’ll be bad if the main 7 channel everywhere isn’t HD by the time the AusOpen starts.

Here during the coverage it’s already reported a BNE Int’l in-progress score and a few minutes ago (13:52 AEDT) a commentator said viewers could ‘switch to Channel 7’, but the BNE Int’l won’t start on Prime7 Canberra until 14:00 AEDT (if the TV guide’s correct, the same applies for 7HD Sydney).

BTW I’m not liking the new MasterCard logo. It seems like it’s too generic (so couldn’t be trademarked) and they’ve given up on having almost no one spell it correctly (single word but with a capital C). Like most Aus TV logos, I’d ask what was wrong with the previous logo/how is this better? (Or was it change for change’s sake?)

Live and not free :slight_smile:

7 Tennis app

2 Likes

Brisbane

2 Likes

I’m surprised so much appears to have gone to air without the 7 channel logo… or are these caps from the internal/clean feed?

This is from Prime7, who haven’t put a watermark up (yet).

Hopman Cup was without watermark for abit, but then it appeared. Nothing on main channel yet.

Ah thanks; I see what you mean, it’s still missing now that the BNE Int’l has started on Prime7 Canberra.
Perhaps someone at MediaHub is a bit worse for wear after last night/too busy with ensuring their co-owner’s mappy horror is big enough! LOL

Edit:
Oh, actually in the past (when playout was in Canberra) Prime7 used the dirty feed with the 7 logo, I bet they didn’t prepare a plain 7 (not-Prime7) logo for this!

There was a small prime7 at the start of the Sydney to Hobart that was on top of the 7 live and free for about 1 minute so they do have one

Ah thanks I’d missed that, so no real excuse for MediaHub then?
Interesting that the WIN-co-owned outsourcer still hasn’t done anything to get their competitor’s branding on-screen (even just changing to the fully-dirty ATN7 Sydney feed with the logo).

The timing was a bit off on Prime7; it looks like they’re using a partially-dirty feed from ATN7 as the 7News Sydney tonight promo was shown then a tiny snip of another 7 promo before a late cut-over to a local ‘The summer of tennis is brought to you by…’ sponsor board (without any 7/Prime7 branding, nor mention; I’d expected the voice over would’ve said “Prime7’s Summer of Tennis…”)

Metro coverage

2 Likes

I’m surprised Ch 7 let Bruce take leave during one of his biggest events for the nework.

I imagine Rio 2016 had something do do with it.

It will be very strange not having him commentate

Given the Hopman Cup is based on country teams it’s a shame Seven are using abbreviated player names in the scorecards (e.g. VAN/SOC) rather than country codes (e.g. USA).
Did they have the countries or names last year? (I didn’t watch much last year so I don’t remember.)

Prime using a watermark on 7Two:

They used to use country codes on the scoreboard for Hopman Cup. I think this lasted until ABC stopped doing it and Ten took over.

3 Likes