Seven Tennis Coverage

Has anyone uploaded Seven’s in-studio interview with Federer/is it available anywhere? (I haven’t seen/found it.)

Sad to hear the doyen might call it quits on the Australian Open, but respect his decision, he does virtually everything for Seven Sport and with a busy few years ahead at 63 years of age, I can understand it :slight_smile:

Until his end of contract / retirement, I wonder if he could choose to do the Australian Open sporadically (if he feels like it)?

Far worse than losing Bruce is possibly being stuck with Hamish.

7 Likes

###Fed Cup

‘Dasha’ and Barty to lead Australia at the Fed Cup on 7TWO

Starts Saturday 10pm AEDT LIVE on 7TWO and PLUS7 Live app

Aussies Dasha Gavrilova, Ash Barty, Arina Rodionova and Casey Dellacqua will head to Ukraine’s Palace of Sport ‘Lokomotiv’, aiming to secure a win to progress to the World Group play-off ties.

Captain Alicia Molik will lead the Australian team in the first round aiming to even up the score against the Ukraine team of Elina Svitolina, Lesia Tsurenko, Olga Savchuk and Nadiia Kichenok.

The two teams have met three times in the Fed Cup, with Ukraine leading 2-1 including the last encounter back in 2011.

Australian doubles greats Todd Woodbridge and Rennae Stubbs will host the 7TWO coverage.

TV BROADCAST TIMES

Saturday 11 February
Sydney 10pm LIVE on 7TWO
Melbourne 10pm LIVE on 7TWO
Brisbane 9pm LIVE on 7TWO
Adelaide 9.30pm LIVE on 7TWO
Perth 7pm LIVE on 7TWO

Sunday 12 February
Sydney 10.30pm LIVE on 7TWO
Melbourne 10.30pm LIVE on 7TWO
Brisbane 10.30pm LIVE on 7TWO
Adelaide 10.30pm LIVE on 7TWO
Perth 6pm LIVE on 7TWO

Sydney, Melb, Brisbane and Adelaide getting games delayed?

Probably just join the coverage at that point.

Seven did not want to pre-empt both episodes of Escape to the Country (even though they are repeats) in eastern states. The scheduling means viewers miss out on part of the first match.

1 Like

Seven up to their old tricks again. I thought we left this shit in the past. Joining mid game is unacceptable.

5 Likes

Bruce McAvaney has told the Sunday Herald Sun he has quit tennis commentary for good after calling 26 Australian Opens. He will concentrate on the AFL, Olympics, horse racing and some other sports.

3 Likes

Like all legends age does catch up with you.
I think Bruce is 63 this year

2 Likes

That’s sad to hear, Bruce never even got a farewell from the tennis, with a special highlights package or something :cry:

But a great innings, he’s THE legend, congrats :clap:

(He could change his mind, yes I know, doubtful)

2 Likes

When he actually retires he will no doubt get a farewell.

3 Likes

No kidding, they should dedicate an entire prime-time hour for his farewell package :grin:

He turns 64 this june.

This is my all time favourite Bruce McAvaney quote, about interviewing Carl Lewis in 1993, from The Age:

[quote]“It was the most stimulating interview I’ve ever been involved in. Exciting. I knew I was in the presence of someone very special, and that’s not a cliche, that’s the truth. I was saturated when I finished, with sweat.”

Because of the nervous tension involved with interviewing a man with a notorious distaste for the media? “No, I think I was turned on, I think I really, really got a lot out of that interview. I’ve been a fan of his.”

http://newsstore.smh.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac?page=1&sy=smh&kw=&pb=all_ffx&dt=selectRange&dr=entire&so=relevance&sf=text&sf=headline&rc=10&rm=200&sp=nrm&clsPage=1&docID=news930908_0237_4587
[/quote]

It was for a high-end sports magazine program Seasons. Seven should repeat the series if it still exists. I couldn’t find it on the NFSA collection database.

Seven’s Davis Cup Tennis: Australia to face USA

Australia will battle traditional rival the United States in a high stakes Davis Cup quarterfinal tie on the outdoor hard court at Pat Rafter Arena starting Friday April 7.

Captained by Lleyton Hewitt, the in-form livewire Nick Kyrgios will lead the Australian team alongside Sam Groth, Jordan Thompson and John Peers, following the quartet’s triumph over the Czech Republic in the last round at Kooyong.

Tennis great Jim Courier captains the US team that includes world no. 17 Jack Sock, John Isner, Sam Querrey and Steve Johnson.

The US beat Australia last year in the first round at Kooyong and leads Australia 26-20 in their overall Davis Cup meetings.

The winner of this tie with face either Italy or Belgium in a semi final, with the winner to then play off in the Davis Cup final.

Todd Woodbridge will host Seven’s coverage with expert commentary from John Fitzgerald.

TV Broadcast times:
Friday 7 April
Davis Cup Day 1 – Australia v United States (Queensland Tennis Centre)
Syd 12pm LIVE on Channel 7
Melb 12pm LIVE on Channel 7
Bris 12pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adel 11.30am LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 10am LIVE on Channel 7

Saturday 8 April
Davis Cup Day 2 – Aust v USA
Syd 1pm LIVE on 7TWO
Melb 1pm LIVE on 7TWO
Bris 1pm LIVE on 7TWO
Adel 12.30pm LIVE on 7TWO
Perth 11am LIVE on 7TWO

Sunday 9 April
Davis Cup Day 3 – Aust v USA
Syd 12pm LIVE on 7TWO
Melb 12pm LIVE on 7TWO
Bris 12pm LIVE on 7TWO
Adel 11.30am LIVE on 7TWO
Perth 10am LIVE on 7TWO

1 Like

Why are some broadcast times missing from next week’s Davis Cup? (Friday in Perth and Sunday in Sydney) Is Seven still finetuning its schedule due to its commitments to the US Masters golf and the AFL?

Davis Cup graphics

2 Likes

Beautiful caps, crystal clear :ok_hand:

Todd Woodbridge hosting with John Fitzgerald in the Seven Sport studio at BCM.

Amanda Abate courtside in Brisbane.

1 Like

By the looks of it, the match between Nick Kyrgios and John Isner could go to four or five sets. Seven will be hoping the match will finish before 7.30pm AEST when Better Homes and Gardens is scheduled to air in Melbourne and Adelaide on 7TWO, otherwise it will have to switch to 7mate or 7tennis app.

1 Like