Seven Tennis Coverage

Wow the HD moved that early? Someone at 7 scheduled it thinking there was zero possibility of a 3rd set?!

1 Like

Tennis Australia president Steve Healy has defended its 2015-2019 rights deal with Seven. He told the Australian Financial Review that Harold Mitchell and then-CEO Steve Wood recommended the deal and the board unanimously supported it, and the deal brought the TV production in-house in order to increase the revenue, which it did.

2 Likes

SUNDAY 29 JANUARY

Australian Open Men’s Final
Roger Federer (SUI) [17] v Rafael Nadal (ESP) [9]
Sydney 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Melbourne 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 5.30pm-6.30pm LIVE on 7TWO, 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 6pm–6.30pm LIVE on 7TWO, 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 3.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

Australian Open Mixed Doubles Final
Abigail Spears (USA) Juan Sebastian Cabal (COL) v Sania Mirza (IND) Ivan Dodig (CRO) [2]
Sydney 4pm LIVE on Channel 7
Melbourne 4pm LIVE on Channel 7

Note: schedule for other cities provided by Seven was not correct, but I’m sure you can work it out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seven execs right now won’t believe their luck.

3 Likes

THIS. IS. EPIC.

3 Likes

Great game!

Well done to the Fed Express.

I was a bit surpised that none of the sets were close eg. there were no tiebreakers, yet it was a pretty close game overall.

3 Likes

Finally a close final after 2 years of Djokovic smashing Murray! Well done Roger! Legend.

7 Likes

Magnificent match. Tennis is so good to watch when either Federer or Nadal are playing and watching them go head to head is just breathtaking. I can’t remember the last time a 6-1 set went for over 40mins. Some of the points were astonishing. I think it will crack 2m.

7 Likes

What a match! Outstanding! Great to watch. Congratulations Roger.
Thought Todd Woodbridge was quite good, I bet Bruce would have loved to have been calling that!

4 Likes

Hamish was salivating in the studio with Fed :wink:

Telecast ended at 12:14am [AEDT] & indeed ends Seven’s Australian Open for another year.

Wonderful coverage, amazing 2017 tournament & a fairytale week, topped by the UNBELIEVABLE five set epic & win for the ages tonight :ok_hand:

Federer… Sporting legend.

5 Likes

Hamish is atrocious. No idea why Seven inflict him on viewers. The cleaner would do a better job.

4 Likes

Didnt get to see the interview in perth
Went to news i like Hamish’s comment "sorry to do this to perth viewers but you are off to news "

1 Like

Even Hamish knew that was a dog act. Hope somebody gets fired for that decision.

2 Likes

Are you telling us BCM didn’t even switch the coverage to 7Two in WA :open_mouth:

That’s terrible!

Hearing Federer LIVE in the host network’s studio at the end, was one of the highlights of the night for me, Fed was so open and raw.

Maybe his older brother being CEO of the biggest sporting organisation in Australia has something to do with it :hushed:

(They even showed Gillon McLachlan sitting next to MKR’s Pete Evans tonight… That in itsself made me sick)

5 Likes

Ratings predictions?

Well done Federer and Serena Williams! Loved having the 2003 Woman’s final rematch and 2009 Men’s final rematch. Pretty epic tournament that turned out pretty much exactly how I wanted it too (apart from Djokovic leaving so early).

What an amazing Australian Open it was this year. The buzz this tournament gives Melbourne is fantastic and it’s always my favourite time of the year. Definitely one of my faves years of the Open I can remember. I went in twice this year including Djokovic’s first round Rod Laver match, plus spent Australia Day on the hill along Birrarung Marr watching the big screen. Not sure what I’m going to do with myself now that it’s over!

Always hard to predict… I will say 2.4million but possibly a bit higher.

1 Like

2017 Davis Cup

Livewire Nick Kyrgios will lead the Aussie Davis Cup charge against the Czech Republic alongside Sam Groth, Jordan Thompson and fresh from his Australian Open doubles title John Peers.

The Australian team, headed by captain Lleyton Hewitt, will take confidence into this tie as they enjoy a 7-1 winning record against the Czechs, including their last meeting in Ostrava when the Aussies triumphed 3-2.

The Czech squad will include Jiri Vesely, Radek Stepanek, Jan Satral, Zdenek Kolar and be led by captain Jaroslav Navratil.

Australia defeated Slovakia in a play-off last year to maintain its World Group status, while the Czechs reached last year’s quarter finals going down to France.

Todd Woodbridge will host Seven’s coverage with expert commentary from former Davis Cup star John Fitzgerald.

TV Broadcast times:

Friday February 3
Davis Cup Day 1 – Australian v Czech Republic (Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club, Melbourne)
Syd 11am LIVE on Channel 7
Melb 11am LIVE on Channel 7
Bris 10am LIVE on Channel 7
Adel 10.30am LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 8am LIVE on 7TWO, 9am LIVE on Channel 7

1 Like

I’m was surprised Hamish was still part of the coverage when it finished past midnight, as he had a breakfast radio show beginning at 6 am

Hamish McLachlan from last night saying that unfortunately WA viewers will not see the after-party of the Australian Open. Instead, he cited that people should stand by for the news. Most of other states have watched the interview about Federer’s win in Aus Open with Jim Courier

McAvaney likely to step aside from Australian Open for good after missing epic men’s final

The 63-year-old has also revealed that after 27 years he is likely to call it quits from tennis altogether in the Australian summer.

6 Likes