Seven & Ten News (SCA)

They don’t measure ratings out there, because SCA runs 100% of commercial TV.

Pretty sure they have the old style diary system in place in those markets where Regional TAM does not have their panels.

1 Like

They could all do with some (additional) training and extra resources, but you have to remeber these bulletins aren’t expected to be as polished as the metros, or even WIN. They have always been a bit of a ‘play ground’ for ‘green’ journalists to get a taste and feel for broadcast journalism and to build a resume and showreel. Without these bulletins, there would be less opportunities for young journalists to get a foot in the door.

4 Likes

There is also no reason why WIN or even Seven Regional formally Prime Television couldn’t do the same in the regions they don’t already have bulletins.

1 Like

The reason is money. There’s no money to be made in producing news in those regions.

Making the news isn’t free, the affiliates aren’t in a position to piss their ever-dwindling finances away. TV everywhere is on a slow decline in the age of streaming, regional areas more so.

It’s heartbreaking, but it’s the unfortunate reality.

3 Likes

What does the bulletin achieve?

1. We’re the ONLY local TV News service for the Spencer Gulf and Broken Hill

2. We provide a vital service in times of disaster and emergencies (re my reporting on the Port Augusta floods a few months ago)

3. We are able to travel around a region that is very isolated and doesn’t get as much attention

4. We provide jobs and experience for Journalists who have (and will) go on to great things

5. People WATCH us, our audience cares about what we do and we care about them

7 Likes

On the topic of the Spencer Gulf bulletin, it does need to be said, and this isn’t a criticism of anyone on here but the camerawork isn’t up to scratch. I can appreciate that they VJ’s have a fair bit going on and do their best, and should prioritise the storytelling over cinematic shots, but it really couldn’t hurt to have some improved footage over there, even if it’s stock.

SCA should get a camo over there, even if it’s only for a few weeks to help out the VJ’s or at least teach some of them how to do some of the basics, can’t say I’ve ever seen a 3 point lighting set up shot or a nicely lit/exposed Vox Pox on a bulletin for example.

2 Likes

There’s no doubt about that DJ, but from a business standpoint why do they continue?

You’re seriously complaining about Maddie’s end of year message?

She said thank you and remarked about loving reporting on the stories for the region and that we’ll be back “bright eyed and bushy tailed”.

You continuing assumptions about how we work and calling for our news to be axed can be very upsetting to the news team and management who DO provide support, who DO care about the bulletin and how we work as Journalists.

I regularly ask for feedback from Maddie and the editors in Hobart and they make suggestions and changes to scripts, or suggest a different shot with the equipment we have (which is being progressively replaced).

Myself, Eddie, Annabel, Henry, Josh, Maddie all work together and come up with truely local and professional program in a format that not many other bulletins do and I’m very proud to be working alongside them.

When I move on, I will remember my days at 7 Spencer Gulf News very fondly and it’s thanks to the wonderful management and co-workers that are able to do what we do.

As for graphics…just wait.

11 Likes

Advertisers and sponsors are keen to be seen during the news commercial breaks, we have a full sales team working hard months in advance for big events and SCA’s own sponsorships too.

We’re also a local news service we have a very close relationship with the communities we cover and the viewers who watch us.

2 Likes

“some of the basics”? That’s quite an unkind thing to say.

Remember us at SCA News do read these forums and many of the comments have been deeply hurtful and nasty towards us.

Saying things like you’ve never seen a “3 point lighting set up shot or a nicely lit/exposed Vox Pox on a bulletin” is incredibly inaccurate and unfair on the news team, sometimes we have issues with lighting, but most of our shots are decent.

1 Like

Not that I have made these comments but be assured mate that there is no malicious intent behind these comments. They are not personal attacks, merely criticisms of the product not the people.

1 Like

Good on you @DJPizarro. Even know the bulletin has not much cash put in compared to WIN or 7 etc, you and the other reporters make the best possible product with limited resources. Just because something has less resources doesn’t mean it is worse, it can still be good and inform the local community, the whole purpose of local news.

As for people wanting the news bulletin axed it is very rude to the staff working on the bulletin. Just because it may not have much cash doesn’t make the reporters lazy. Good on SCA for keeping the bulletin and not axing it since they first picked up the station, even know it was moved to 7TWO.

Lets hope 7 Spencer Gulf News continues for years to come.

5 Likes

Not just SCA. Many people in the media industry read these forums; it’s all about taking the feedback onboard and improving the product where you can with what you have. It’s never fun being told your product isn’t up to scratch or pointing out your on air mistakes, but it definitely keeps those in the industry on their toes!

2 Likes

Settle down Daniel, like I said, it wasn’t a criticism of anyone or anybody, but a general statement of how I view the news service. I shouldn’t have to state my credentials or experience here but I’ve spent a bit of time with a camera on my shoulder doing Student exercises, and if I can get it right, so can a VJ.

It’s amazing how improved lighting can enhance the story, mainly visually. I remember seeing a shot on SCA’s bulletin recently of an Interview in which an antenna or flagpole, something of a circular shape was on the interview subject. The VJ in question could’ve simply asked the interview subject to do another shot on a different angle if they had the time, if not that’s OK. But the small efforts to improve the story visually make the Journo (And the news service to a larger extent) look like they’re going the extra mile, and as a viewer I appreciate that.

4 Likes

Viewers I believe in the most part will forgive presentation issues if the content is good and relevant to the area. In my view it should be a requirement of having a broadcasting license that you must present local news of significance to the region. Presented from the region. It is the advantage that traditional media has over new media. If it can be presented cheap using VJ’s so be it. 6 news proves to me what can be done and achieved with a very low budget. If they can do it there is no excuse that WIN Seven Regional can’t.

3 Likes

The amount of likes given to some of these posts is pathetic. A media professional who can’t take constructive feedback is apparently more wortthy of praise than the feedback itself. Mind-boggling.

5 Likes

The Spencer Gulf bulletin was relocated to the Hobart studios way back in 2018. Hobart had and still has the current Tasmania bulletin graphics (based on the previous Seven News package) which Hobart uses for the Darwin and Central updates.

Not to trash on the bulletin, but we’ve been waiting for graphics for the past 4 years.

2 Likes

Forgive my ignorance

Is the spencer gulf bulletin still shunted to 7TWO or is it back on the main channel?

1 Like

7two I think

1 Like