Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Yep 7 TWO.

2 Likes

Calling for our bulletin to be axed, that there’s no business point to it, questioning our holiday leave and blind assumptions about our work isn’t “constructive feedback”.

Other SCA members on this forum have left because of the increasingly nasty atmosphere towards us, regardless of whether or not posts have been deleted or an apology has been issued.

We are real people who care passionately about our jobs and we take our time discussing BTS info, but many of us are having second thoughts about coming here.

7 Likes

Isn’t being a representative of SCA on this forum a risky game, not only for your own sanity but for the your role in the company?

I get customers bagging out my employer on socials every day. I never take it upon myself to address each issue and defend the company.

I really admire you being on here and I think it’s an important reminder that you are people and are proud of the work you do rather than just some brand. But I feel that that comes with a lot of risk.

8 Likes

I thought so, as a former employee of SCA (I left two years ago)

lots of us lurked on this forum when I worked there, although they remained in relative obscurity/anonymity

I didn’t want to say anything specific about working there until I had left, didn’t want that to come back to bite me in a negative way

3 Likes

Similar things have been said on this forum many times, and by lots of people over the last 30 years who want news for free without paying for it.

In the current landscape it’s just not viable for most regional areas unless the federal government were to step in and fund it. Regional TV can barely sustain itself financially as it is for the most part. In general viewers don’t care anyway, they’d rather have metro programming from 7/9/10 coming from the major cities.

Where it’s not otherwise feasable commercially, I could see a case for having one local news service per sub market across the country, funded by the government, airing on the ABC. That’s what a public broadcaster should be for.

2 Likes

Yep, this is pretty reasonable. Or tender it out to the highest bidder ABC Asia Pacific style.

1 Like

The way SCA seems to turn nasty on its staff, I wouldnt be admiting anything about anything on Socials

4 Likes

What’s happened in the past?

1 Like

No, I’m using it as an example I was easily able to find of how the show used to have a bit of creativity and is now just very bland. It’s almost like it’s going backwards. I used to watch it regularly, now when I am up there I hardly notice it’s there seeing as it’s on a secondary channel at a funny time.

I don’t think anybody wants to see it axed, it’s more surprise that it hasn’t been yet, given a clear lack of interest from the network in improving nd resourcing the bulletin.

Nobody is questioning you having holidays, it’s that the station would just yank the show off air for five weeks.

Nobody is taking pop shots at you personally, you’re certainly reading into something that’s not there. The criticism is towards a company which admits its not really into producing tv, which treats its viewers with contempt. Nobody doubts how hard you work, nobody doubts you enjoy your job, but as a casual and occasional viewer, I do doubt whether many people are watching and thinking ‘wow this is great.’ We know the team are entry level reporters cutting their teeth in remote offices where they’re essentially one-man-bands, what’s obvious, and clearly different from Win or Prime, is a lack of experience behind the scenes in helping to form a better product.

I applaud your hard work, but I wish the organisation would throw some cash and resources behind it.

6 Likes

It’s different but he has grown on me and to me he just seems like an excitable, energetic young guy trying his best and doing quite a decent job even if he does remind me of an excited puppy. He does seem to be quite popular though I think and has a bit of a cult following I think like John Hunt which is pretty cool. Nice to have some different and unique styles that people obviously still watch.

Makenna Baily presented the Christmas Day bulletin, with Chelsea Freestone on weather.

YT Credit: Nightly News 7 Tasmania

3 Likes

A funny moment though when Tom Johnson brought out the Santa Hat which didn’t go well with the green screen and just looked weird before his throw back to Makenna. Chelsea made a joke reference to it again when she held it up again during the weather too.

5 Likes

Where is the bit with Tom and the hat? I’ve skipped through a few times and can’t find it.

Was it a shorter bulletin or is has it been edited down?

1 Like

It didn’t make it to the YouTube version unfortunately. All the bulletins are edited to remove the national 7 stories and only keep the local 7Tas stories and they remove most of the crosses.

They even removed the cross from Makenna doing sport last night to the 7 News reporter at Constitution Dock for the finish of the Sydney to Hobart race, but they usually keep other live crosses in there to their own reporters - last night there was Tom Johnson covering the bushfire at Rosebery who they crossed to a couple of times.

4 Likes

Why can’t this 7 Tasmania bulletin use local Tasmania imagery on the backdrop like ABC NEWS

Video of Tom and his hat here:

7 Likes

Is this a requirement from Channel 7 do you think? Eg: they can’t use Seven content anywhere other than broadcast or are they just going for the hyper-local angle online?

1 Like

I’d say probably the former, it might not be as strict as that but they might just do it that way to play it safe. It does make it easier to catch up on just the local stuff though when I can’t watch the bulletin because the kids are around - sometimes I watch but there’s a lot on there they don’t need to see or know about in the world just yet.

3 Likes

Exactly. Plus, most national news reports are covered by 7News through their own socials and on Youtube, so removing the 7News stories for the Tasmania bulletin’s YT is justifiable.

3 Likes

The annual blooper reel from all of us at 7 Tasmania News. Happy new year! :tada:

12 Likes