Seven Sport

Wouldn’t ESPN have the rights to this in other markets? Or possibly repeat rights in the US?

It’s great that when it comes to the Superbowl theses days we can just take the coverage direct…

We don’t need an ‘Australian’ package… ‘explaining’ everything for us like the ABC and SBS used to do in the past.

2 Likes

A ‘generic’ Seven Sport intro/ident was used at the start of the Bathurst 12 Hour top 10 shootout today. I haven’t got any footage of it, but it was similar to the cricket intro, except with red cubes falling into the 7 logo against a blue background.

Also 7 are using the same graphics as they have since the start of the V8 Supercar season in 2013. Makes sense considering they only get used for one race per year, but looks out of place against the other 7 sport graphics (Cricket, AFL, Horse Racing, etc).

2 Likes

It’s not uncommon for an international feed to be produced, often happens with the MLB World Series. Often its a public service thing, I know the international MLB coverage is satellited in to US Navy troops on deployment

There generally is a world feed for the Superbowl. Neither of the networks have used it in years

ESPN used a world feed in the past and more recently in 2017

The race is live on 7TWO in WA all day today, with 7mate being used to show prematch and 1st session of test cricket from Canberra.

1 Like

Yeah always incredibly crappy… couple of unknowns doing the call… little to no crowd noise…

I’m not looking forward to Maroon 5… but I am looking forward to the TVCs.

3 Likes

Super Bowl is broadcast in SD on 7mate in 2019…

It’s unfortunate but Seven’s in a scheduling log-jam today with the cricket also going on. The only option they have is to have the live channel streams be in HD like 9Now offers

And? Its being made to sound like its the only sport broadcast in SD this year.
I think each Network should have 2 HD’s like SBS. Yes, aware there’s other issues at play like bandwidth space available but I’d rather see the Test match in HD.

3 Likes

As it’s already been pointed out, it’s unfortunate that the Superbowl has been relegated to SD but personally I think there would’ve been more complaints if the test cricket (which if we’re being honest, is far more interesting/relevant to most Australians) was only available in SD.

Personally I’m just thankful that the commercial networks are now running HD versions of the main channels in the metro & major regional markets. Sure it’s not perfect and we’ve still got a fair way to go before each & every TV market in Australia has access to all main commercial channels in TV, but at least things are better now than they were about four or five years ago!

1 Like

They’ve just queued the seven sport generic filler

Super Bowl entertainment replay on main channel in Brisbane at the moment.

1 Like

Dennis Cometti has received a Lifetime Achievement Award at this evening’s Sport Australia Media Awards in Melbourne.

5 Likes

Hi Mitch, don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure? Welcome to MS :slight_smile:

May I ask what this means?

1 Like

Sport Australia honours Cometti with Lifetime Achievement

Sport Australia has presented broadcaster Dennis Cometti AM with the Lifetime Achievement Award for excellence in sports journalism at the 17th annual Sport Australia Media Awards.

Almost 200 guests attended the Sport Australia Media Awards, with Cometti’s honour the culmination of 14 awards presented at the gala ceremony recognising the best in Australian sports media.

Sport Australia Chair John Wylie presented the Lifetime Achievement Award to Cometti, describing him as a “doyen of Australian sport broadcasting”.

“Dennis’ iconic voice has been the perfect match for so many unforgettable sporting moments - Olympic gold medals, Test match cricket and AFL grand finals,” Wylie said.

“During his career he has brought so many sporting moments to life with his insightful, quick-witted and confident commentary that has always been delivered with impeccable timing.”

Cometti’s media career has spanned almost 50 years. He became the youngest broadcaster to call Test cricket for the ABC in 1973, he was the voice of Australian Olympic swimming during a golden period from 1992-2000 and he called the AFL from its inception in 1990 until his full-time retirement at the end of 2016. He continues to call AFL matches in Perth on radio and work with Channel Seven.

But of all the great moments in an illustrious media career, Cometti recalls the greatest highlight occurred in his very early days, in 1968, when he was as a radio disc jockey at a Perth rock station 6KY.

“It was a job that offered no job security at all but it was a lot of fun. The career highlight for me has been meeting my wife Velia at 6KY. She was the boss’s secretary,” Cometti quipped.

Cometti last night paid tribute to some of the great names he worked alongside, in particular his Channel Seven commentator and friend Bruce McAvaney. McAvaney, a previous recipient of Sport Australia’s Lifetime Achievement Award, was in attendance at the ceremony.

“Trust is a big thing in broadcasting and I don’t think I trusted anyone more than I trusted Bruce,” Cometti said.

“I’m honoured to receive an award like this. Obviously its recognition for myself and my family but also my employers and all the people I worked with along the way.

My first Test match broadcast for the ABC was in 1973. I was 24. I was broadcasting alongside the likes of Keith Miller, Lindsay Hassett and Alan McGilvray. I had to pinch myself.

“I think the only qualification I had for broadcasting the swimming at three Olympics was that I had a pool in the back yard. But I was lucky, it was a golden time for Australian swimming with greats like Susie O’Neill, Kieran Perkins and Ian Thorpe. I don’t think any Australian will forget what they did.”

The Sport Australia Media Awards (#SportAUSMediaAwards) have been running since 2002 and are Australia’s only awards dedicated to recognising excellence in sports journalism, broadcasting, production and photography.

2 Likes

I actually preferred the CBS commentary.

I wonder if Channel 7 are going to take the NFL again in 2019-20 cuz their rights ended this year AFIK. Will 10 take the gamble and air games over 10 Bold.