Seven Sport

Mel to host you’d assume. I wonder who will call.

1 Like

European teams bringing off-season friendliest to Australia really is an absolute grift.

Embarrassing that anyone in Australia can be involved with a straight face.

1 Like

I dont understand why they’re doing it at the end of their season too

1 Like

Guessing before the Euro 2024 window?

1 Like

The friendly will be on 7two in Sydney according to The Sunday Telegraph today.

3 Likes

Possibly

It’ll be on the main channel in Perth

1 Like

I believe the reason why 10 didn’t bother to take a look, as they would be busy covering the Matildas friendly that night.

2 Likes

do you know that for sure.

I forgot about that. That means there will be two football matches on the same night, on two different stations.

Matildas v China kicks off at 7.40pm Adelaide time (8.10pm AEST).

AC Milan v AS Roma kicks off at 7pm Perth time (9pm AEST).

4 Likes

Will be a rare occurrence with football on two commercial channels that Friday night

1 Like

It will air on main channel in Perth, 7mate in Melbourne and Adelaide, and 7two in Sydney and Brisbane.

5 Likes

Flashback

While trawling YouTube, came across this infamous moment from 18 years ago on Seven’s since defunct Sportsworld, where then AFL star Justin Koschitzke collapsed live on-air, while being interviewed by a perplexed David Schwarz at Docklands and cutting back to a shocked host Johanna Griggs at Epping (I think it was?)

Clips (apologies for quality but they are originals from nearly two decades ago):

•Seven News Sydney report with Matthew White (coincidentally also a host of Sportsworld):

•Raw footage from the Sportsworld broadcast:

Schwarz and Griggs’s reactions are priceless! And seriously, to the former, not the greatest job guiding him safely to the ground, got to protect that 7 mic!

Includes a rare “7Sport” (2003-2011) translucent watermark in bottom-right.

[Videos and caps courtesy: “DoctorGonz0” and “mitchiev91”, YT].

Side notes:

This was early-mid 2006, which would be the final year of the long-running weekend morning sports show.

White was on-location for the 6pm news, in what looks like a night the Socceroos were playing for the FIFA World Cup qualifiers in an iconic period.

This year Seven News Sydney were dominating the ratings with the decades-long shake-up team of Ian Ross, Matthew White and Nuala Hafner (who’d depart at the end of that year) and had been for a year or two, also at a time the whole network was getting on top and probably would’ve been No. 1 this year if not for Nine’s AFL and Melb Comm Games.

David Schwarz would remain with Seven, becoming the key expert commentator alongside returning Tim Watson from 2007, upon regaining the AFL broadcast rights.

Griggs had successfully hosted her first year of Better Homes and Gardens in 2005, when the show moved to Fridays after Home and Away and dethroned Burke’s Backyard. This would be her second year, as well as Sportsworld and other Seven Sport events such as the 2006 Australian Open, Torino 2006 Winter Olympics and 2006 Melbourne Cup.

Around this time and progressing over the next 24 months, Seven would vacate the 50 year old Epping studios and move to a new facility at Eveleigh, becoming final in 2009 with demolition in 2010, while executive, admin and other office departments had moved to Jones Bay Wharf in Pyrmont by the Harbour and news and current affairs and some other teams had moved to Martin Place in the CBD a couple of years earlier, with play-out/transmission, tape library, presentation and Seven Sport based in Melbourne at Docklands since 2002.

4 Likes

I think around that time Sportsworld was broadcast from Martin Place.

3 Likes

It was a significant studio or back-drop, wonder where they shifted/stored it inside Martin Place, knowing how notoriously cramped that site was

1 Like

Good question. I think they could’ve used either the area that was later used for live performances on Sunrise (near the entrance) or the area that would become the Today Tonight set when Anna Coren took over from Naomi Robson as the show’s host, and production moved from Melbourne to Sydney.

2 Likes

LVI Golf next week on Seven

3 Likes

6 Likes

Any info about whos in commentary for that match etc? Are they going to take an external feed or is 7 producing it etc?

1 Like

Don’t think anything has been released. Presumably Mel will host with a couple of freelance experts.

1 Like