Seven (Southern Cross)

Really, for half of the stations, it won’t be so much of a rebrand as a return to Seven branding.

GTS/BKN is the first exeption, as it was known as Central GTS/BKN from the 1974 merge of stations until 2005. Southern Cross had earlier purchased the station in 2001. Never network branding. Though could somebody help explain why it was called “Central Television Network” in the 1990s and its logo covered NT and parts of NSW and VIC if it was independently owned?

And the flagship TNT has, like GTS/BKN, also never used network branding, having been known as Southern Cross since the split of TasTV and purchase by Southern Cross.

If Wikipedia is accurate, then the rest of this is true:

TND was known as Seven Darwin until 2005 when it took on dual Seven and Ten affiliation after Ten programming was dumped through 2003-05 by the now Nine-owned NTD. 13 years since network branding.

QQQ was known as Seven Central from its adoption of Seven programming in 1999 until purchased and rebranded by Southern Cross in 2001. 17 years since network branding.

2 Likes

I have still heard people talking about programs on TDT when they were talking about shows which are now on WIN or talking about shows on the new Channel Nine when they mean WIN (yes, they mentioned the new Channel Nine but it was a Channel Ten show).

1 Like

Southern Cross still retained Seven branding well after they acquired it. Something like 2008 is when they rebranded to Southern Cross, probably due to Imparja dumping Ten programming. So ~10 years since network branding.

Seven Central’s PRG from late July 2008:

wmv%20-_00002
wmv%20-_00001

Plenty of people, particularly those within the satellite equipment and installation business, still refer to it as Seven Central. The acronym ‘SCTV’ in use on the EIT and the North watermark could easily be mistaken for Seven Central TeleVision.

5 Likes

I can. Central Television was a sales alliance - not to do with ownership. It included SES, GTS/BKN, RTS, and Imparja. The idea was that advertisers could book all those stations with just one sales rep. Kind of like Seven Affiliate Sales.

GTS/BKN was the only one of the stations in the alliance that adopted the Central Television branding for the station.

2 Likes

Central Television started in the 1990s - the station was known simply as GTS/BKN for about 20 years.

1 Like

GTS/BKN7, SC Nine and SC10 have 2 separate feeds for local ads, upper Spencer gulf feed and the Port Lincoln/Broken Hill feed.

Channels 7TWO, 7mate, 9Gem, 9Go, One and Eleven all have 1 feed which have ads from all markets.

3 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

My Dad sometimes still calls WIN Channel 8, despite that fact WIN took over SES-8 in October 1999.

2 Likes

Was the Pac-Man branding from the late 90s through early 2000s part of the sale alliance, which dissolved afterward? Or did the alliance end before Pac-Man and GTS/BKN wanted to carryover the name for brand consistency?

Nah, the pac-man logo came about around 1996

That’s not what I asked. Did the Pac-Man logo come before the sales alliance ended, or after? And when did the alliance end?

A lot of people here in Port Pirie still call GTS/BKN Channel 4 and the ABC as Channel 1.

2 Likes

Dirty feed with clean feed graphics at the same time:

6 Likes

Why not air the multichannels as dirty feeds with local ads (as I presume WIN SA do)? They don’t have even a mediocre graphics package.

How do they do in Tasmania?

What market is that from? And I take it the dirty feed is the Seven metro looking one?

@Sully from Tasmania, it looks like Seven’s graphics.

@Nick at the moment they use their own graphics, like the ones in those 7Two caps (right side PRG text and larger rating classification symbol), and this for 7mate:

4 Likes

Anyone know what the transmission (EPG) titles are now on Tasmania’s TVs?

(e.g.) SCTV Hobart > 7 Hobart?

5/51 - Nine Tas
50 - 9HD Tas
52 - 9Gem
53 - 9Go!

6 - SCTV Launceston / Hobart
60 - SCTV HD Launceston / Hobart
62 - 7TWO
63 - 7mate
64 - SBN
68 - RACING.COM

WIN is the same as other areas.

2 Likes

Wonder if Southern Cross will take a dirty feed from the three 7 channels from July 1 when they rebrand Southern Cross to Seven?

Here in Spencer Gulf at the moment, SCA transmit:

GTS/BKN - Clean feed 7 Adelaide
7TWO - Clean feed Adelaide
7mate - Clean feed Adelaide

SC Nine - Dirty feed 9 Adelaide
9Gem - Dirty feed Adelaide
9Go! - Dirty feed Adelaide

SC10 - Dirty feed TEN Adelaide
ONE - Dirty feed Adelaide
ELEVEN - Dirty feed Adelaide

SCA also broadcast Racing.com, SBN and TVSN to Spencer Gulf.