Seven Regional

Openshop finished a while back.

1 Like

They should do what 7 does in Regional QLD

LCN 7 is the default, but LCN 6 is used for the markets immediately adjacent to Brisbane.

They could easily do that in NSW too.
Use LCN 6 for Newcastle and Wollongong, and LCN 7 elsewhere.

To me it just doesn’t make sense to have “Channel 7” on Channel 6 - it’s stupid, and should be reserved for the overlap areas

2 Likes

Are LCN’s still relevant now days?

1 Like

www.yourtv.com.au hasnt removed it from the tv guides lol

That is what they currently do in Newcastle / Central Coast and Wollongong. I am pretty certain they will maintain the status quo, on the EPG Prime Wollongong has been changed to 7 Wollongong, and still is on 6, 60 etc.

Does Australia do virtual channels or not like the US

Yes

1 Like

I don’t see them changing anything either. The fact they also launched 7MateHD in regional areas in line with the current LCN’s seems to confirm no change for now.

Has there been any promotion of the new 7mate HD service in Prime areas or are they just hoping that viewers will stumble across it while channel surfing?

2 Likes

I agree. If it works up in The Sunshine State why wouldn’t it work everywhere else. Only thing is for most people in Victoria atleast it would be Channel 6 as most of the Regional Population resides in Markets adjacent to Melbourne

2 Likes

Yep!
Plenty of people still turn on the TV and push the button on the remote.

I’ve modified the numbers on my TV so 7 is 7HD, 9 is 9HD, etc. and that’s still the easiest way to get to those channels

Really, at this point, with the majority of people owning HD and even 4K TVs, LCNs should be adjusted nationwide to make it intuitive so that ABC HD is on 2, 7HD is on 7, 9HD is on 9, 10HD is on 10, etc. but none of the broadcasters will bother

6 Likes

Yep, and as one of them, often in a hotel room if I’m staying somewhere metropolitan I will still press 5, 6 or 8 out of habit before realising my error.

Wouldn’t changing LCN numbers that people have been clicking out of habit for decades, just make things more confusing?

2 Likes

Except Seven in regional Queensland, which does not have a SD simulcast of their main channel IIRC.

I imagine it’s the same as any other change to the LCN setup or changes from SD to HD or MPEG 2 to 4 (or back again). No consumer advice at all.

For an industry that is all about promotion and is funded by advertising, commercial television really has no idea how to keep its viewers informed about this sort of thing.

Correct LCNs 7, 70 and 71 all point to the 7HD stream albeit MPEG 2.

3 Likes

Still seeing no updates on most tv guides.

@WAtvVideos 's xmlepg is the only one I’ve seen that has updated to Seven.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Proud of your work, @WAtvVideos :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks mate!

1 Like

Yeah same as the Prime7 Gold Coast & Lismore stations so it doesn’t cause interference with the Brisbane metro stations