Seven On-Air Presentation 1999

The 90s was a dark period for Seven, not least in Melbourne where its news ratings were nothing but a joke.

In 1990, Seven News was no better than second in all markets, including Perth where Nine News was the top-rating bulletin - until the pulling power of Rick and Sue on Seven proved too much.

1 Like

Unfortunately Australian tv shows on Wikipedia are rarely based on citations. This is no exception.

1 Like

Caps from Seven Melbourne - November 28, 1999

‘Jurassic Park’ Break Bumpers:

PRG/Watermark:

Ident:

Promo Endtags:

5 Likes

Yep, you’ve got the month correct. Sunday the 28th, to be exact.

Judging by the Promo Endtags, it was probably the first night of the 1999/2000 Summer non-ratings period.

1 Like

Caps from Seven Perth - Friday 26/11/1999

Ident:

The Sound Of Music Movie Break Bumpers:

PRG:

Promo Endtags:

4 Likes

These idents feel outdated in 2020.

The last of the split 7 logo (launched in 1989) and the five colour bar used for the first time with the slogan “The One to Watch” with the latter 2 used until 2003.

Anything designed 21 years ago probably would

6 Likes

For what it’s worth, I actually think Seven’s 1999 On-Air Presentation has aged reasonably well compared to the packages that other Australian FTA networks were using at the time.

3 Likes

I’m generally not one to upload stills from YouTube uploads, but I think I’ll make an exception for this batch from uploads of the afternoon gameshows on Steve Rutherford’s channel - 10/5/1999:

Of course, the Sydney News Updates were presented in the newsroom using those short lived supers which I’ve discussed before - no doubt there’s a rather interesting story yet to be told about the changes Seven made to the On-Air Presentation of their news service (and the network generally, I guess) back in 1999 because it seemed to be all over the place that year!

7 Likes

I’m sure @zampakid won’t mind me uploading these.

From Channel Seven Sydney - Friday October 22, 1999:

Only five endtags I know, but at least it’s stuff not already posted. There’ll probably be a point in the future when just about every notable Promo Endtag from this era is covered, especially from around October & November of 1999! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

Caps from Seven Perth - Wednesday 1/12/1999

Lineup:

‘The Colours of Perth’ Ident:

M Classification:

The Midday Movie Opener:

‘The Midday Movie’ Break Bumpers:

PRG/Watermark:

Promo Endtags:

6 Likes

Caps from Seven Perth - Friday 21/5/1999

Ident:

The Midday Movie Break Bumper:

PRG:

Promo Endtags:

AFL

5 Likes

one of my favourite eras of programming

I’m sure @Zampakid won’t mind me dropping these caps here.

Seven Perth - Wednesday October 13, 1999.

Promo Endtags:

Telethon, “3 Days To Go” Promotional Sting:

Now that more footage has surfaced, I’m now starting to think it was just the “Nobody Knows News Like Seven” Promos which were updated in November.

This 3pm update from October 13 clearly shows that TVW were using their own variant of the graphics seen in Sydney & Melbourne bulletins at the time:

By contrast, caps from the 1pm Update on May 21, If nothing else, this is evidence that Seven Perth also adopted those slightly updated super graphics that only lasted a maximum of two months or so in Sydney & Melbourne (seemed to last somewhat longer in Adelaide, while I’ve got no idea whether or not they were used at all in Brisbane) before they moved onto the red graphics:

…and just for what it’s worth, a quick comparison of the “Tonight At Six” Promo/Update Endtags used in May & October respectively:

4 Likes

Channel Seven Sydney - Thursday 5/8/1999

M Classification:

The Thursday Movie Opener:

Movie Break Bumper:

PRG:

Ident:

Promo Endtags:

4 Likes

One of my favourite looks of any network, this era. It looks garish now, but it was great at the time. I miss the circle 7.

2 Likes

I miss it too. I wanted it to last a bit longer.

You’ve got to be kidding. It’s one of the ugliest logos to ever grace Australian television screens and will always be associated with the disgraceful Skase era of ownership. It was staid and offered zero versatility when it came to adding to elements of the network’s presentation. They had to add the multicoloured band to make it pop. It used to shit me when the lines in the 7 would bleed into each other on the RPG. It is only surpassed in ugliness by the American ABC7 style logo they briefly used in the late '60s.

5 Likes

Which wasn’t even an original idea. Channel 5 in the UK had something almost identical in their On-Air Presentation during the Late 1990s/Early 2000s, except their multicoloured band had pink instead of Seven’s trademark red.

Not the only UK broadcaster Seven took inspiration from either. There also seemed to be BBC-inspired elements, especially when it came to the news branding.

That said, Seven’s 1999 On-Air Presentation was certainly different to everything else on Australian TV when it first launched. Ten must’ve liked this look too, because they decided to replace the “Turn Me On” graphics with a package infused with Seven-esque swirls/squiggles (including in their logo to some extent) by the end of 1999.

1 Like