More Promo Endtags

“Australian Drama” Promo/Ident Logo Animation:

5 Likes

“Jurassic Week” On-Air Presentation tweaks

PRG:

Jurassic Week Promo:

"Jurassic Week" themed Promo endtags:

7 Likes

I’m sure @Zampakid won’t mind me saving him some time by adding these caps. These are also from November 1996 recordings or to be more specific: Recordings from Sundays the 10th & 17th of that month in/around Mrs Doubtfire and Jurassic Park - both of which were high rating movies for Seven at the time. Anyway…

“40 Years Together” Ident - this one featured snippets of classic Channel Seven Idents and Programs (along with more current/recent footage for the time towards the end) set to a cover of the Men At Work classic “Down Under”:

Generic “Everyone’s Home” Ident, think the other one (caps at the top of this thread) might’ve been first used in Early 1997:

These bits before the “Next” Promos might also count as Ident? I presume many of these were made/aired with different network personalities but for now, caps of the versions with Ernie Dingo and John Wood:

Promo Endtags, notably including one for the infamous “Chase For Skase” report on Today Tonight:

…and finally, what could possibly be the earliest example of customised promotional credits on Australian TV:

With Australian commercial networks usually going for over-credit voiceovers or maybe split screening the credits of movies back in 1996, I’m going to guess that Seven might’ve only done this style of incorporating the credits & promos in a split screen format for their premiere airing of Jurassic Park. But it’s to my understanding that the concept was inspired by US television, NBC in particular (where for decades, Seven has gotten quite a lot of their branding ideas from of course) had been doing this sort of thing for a while by then.

6 Likes

Behold, the birth of split screen credits, NBC 2000 (launched in 1994/1995):

It looks like Seven emulated what NBC was doing at the time.

6 Likes

Saving @Zampakid a bit of time, here’s some from Channel Seven Perth, 16/4/1997:

The two most notable local programming variations here are “Scratch ‘n’ Win Telespin” (What was that all about?) and Kavanagh Q.C at 9.30pm on Thursdays while the East Coast seemed to be running Thief Takers.

As for the content in the network-wide promos, Concentration with Mike Hammond looked like an obvious Channel Seven response to “Burgo’s Catch Phrase” on Nine (Which one came first, BTW?) while repeats of Full Frontal from the previous year (likely edited for the timeslot/PG classification, one would imagine) were airing at 7.30pm around the same time new episodes for 1997 had just started airing in the 8.30pm Monday timeslot.

While I’m here, examples of Update & Promo/Update graphics from Seven Nightly News Perth:

7 Likes

The “Everyone’s Home with Seven” era which was a popular jingle lasted until May 1999 with the launch of “The One to Watch” 1.0 and the introduction of the 5 colours.

One of the better on air presentations in the 90s.

2 Likes

Tie in with the then WA Lotteries Commission where you could purchase a scratchie that gave you a chance to win a spin on the telespin wheel on air. Lasted a couple years, it was as long as a typical lotto draw on air (2mins or so)

2 Likes

Caps from Seven Sydney 1/1/1998:

Promo Endtags:

Seven Sport Promo:

Nagano 1998 Promo:

5 Likes

Yep, these are from January 1, 1998 (AKA, New Years Day).

Surprised that a couple of the endtags were still using the original/1996 look (with the clouds and fabric, etc.) by this point in time. I thought that part of the look was phased out partway through 1997!

2 Likes

Caps from Channel Seven Sydney - 13/10/1996:

PRG:

5 Likes

Caps from Seven Perth - Saturday 2/8/1997

‘Perth’s home with Seven’ Ident:

PRG:

Promo Endtags:

'Must See Sunday (3rd Rock From The Sun) Promo:

6 Likes

With thanks to @Zampakid, some more caps which this time are from Sydney and September 7, 1996.

Another version of the original “Everyone’s Home” Idents:

Promo Endtags:

I suppose the most noteworthy among this batch are a “Smiling” version of the Today Tonight Sydney Promo Endtag with Helen Wellings (compared to the more “Serious/Concerned” look seen earlier) and one for Talk To The Animals at 5pm which was probably the replacement for Seven’s short lived 5pm bulletin with Peter Ford & Naomi Robson.

Speaking of the news, here’s another promo for the Sydney 6pm bulletin (with the official 2000 Olympics logo launch being the biggest story of the time):

As far as I’m aware, this weeknight News/Sport/Weather presenter lineup only remained intact for a full year. Adam Digby would move to weekends for Brian Bury (who was Sydney’s weeknight forecaster from January 1997 to October 1998 - by the time Digby returned to weeknight forecast, he would’ve been handing back to both Ross & Ann at the desk!), while I believe that Neil Brooks replaced Gary Wilkinson on Sport. That said, I’m pretty sure that Gary Wilkinson was a weekend/fill-in newsreader for Sydney until Chris Bath was promoted to that position?

Anyway, there’s one last thing of interest from the recording and it’s this brief “You’re Watching Channel Seven” Ident before the “Next” Promo which I presume was from a network personality of the time:

Can anyone put a name to this person? My best guess is that it’s an actress from Home & Away.

4 Likes

That’s Isla Fisher. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Channel Seven Adelaide - Sunday 2/6/1996

Idents:

Home Alone 2 Break Bumper:

PRG:

Subtitles Unavailable notice scroll:

Promo Endtags:

The Drama’s Promo:

7 Likes

While the caps are obviously much appreciated as always, shouldn’t that batch be in this thread (which probably should be renamed as “Seven On-Air Presentation 1995-96” with this one being “Seven On-Air Presentation 1996-98”)?

2 Likes

I would’ve posted it on the other thread, but seeing this particular airing was using the 1996-98 styled Movie Opener I thought I’d post it on this thread.

2 Likes

Ahh, fair enough. I guess the Movie Openers for this look launched before other elements!

2 Likes

Channel Seven Sydney - Thursday 4/7/1996

Lineup:

Atlanta Olymoic Games Ident:

The Midday Movie Opener:

PRG:

Seven Nightly News Scroll:

Promo Endtags:

Weekdays Promo:

11 Likes

“We’ll appear in this promo end tag…totally nude!”

5 Likes