Seven News Spotlight

It’s boring. It’ll be lucky to rate higher than MKR or POO did.

Are there any more Seven News spotlight specials to air this year?

New promo for Spotlight special Ivan Milat: Buried Secrets aired tonight during Seven News Melbourne.

In 2021, 7NEWS Spotlight presents Ivan Milat: Buried Secrets, a ground-breaking true crime series revealing new evidence that Australia’s most notorious serial killer, Ivan Milat, was responsible for many other murders that have remained unsolved for decades. The country’s leading crime professionals, forensic anthropologist and criminologist Dr Xanthé Mallett and criminal psychologist Tim Watson- Munro, re-open the Milat file uncovering potential new victims and new crimes in this gripping series.

IVAN MILAT: BURIED SECRETS is produced by EQ Media, in association with Bannaby Productions for the Seven Network.

2 Likes

4 Likes
4 Likes

The Australian is pretty much confirming this story, with McLachlan expected to do a 90 minute interview with Spotlight.

2 Likes

Ivan Milat: Buried Secrets premieres next Sunday (March 14) at 7pm, according to promo shown on Seven News this evening.

1 Like

7NEWS Presents Ivan Milat: Buried Secrets

Dozens of other victims. Many more killing fields.

Thirty years ago, in the remote Belanglo forest, Australia’s most infamous serial killer Ivan Milat murdered seven young backpackers.

Now, a year after Milat died in maximum security prison taking his violent secrets to the grave, the search for new victims and more burial grounds is underway.

Australia’s foremost criminal investigative team, criminologist Dr Xanthe Mallett and criminal psychologist Tim Watson-Munro, are convinced Milat killed many others.

In this ground-breaking documentary across two Sundays, Mallett and Watson-Munro present compelling evidence that this year marks the 50th anniversary of the death of Milat’s first victim, 20-year-old Keren Rowland, who was five months pregnant when her body was found in the Fairbairn Pine Plantation near Canberra in May 1971.

Keren’s story is the first in a horrifying list of up to 20 more potential victims uncovered in this gripping investigation.

Case by case, Mallet and Watson-Munro meticulously plot a timeline of unsolved murders and disappearances against known locations and confirmed sightings of Milat, the deepest any expert criminal team has ever dug into the serial killer’s hunting ground.

As the search for new clues is launched using state-of-the-art laser mapping technology, the true scale of Ivan Milat’s crimes is finally laid bare.

Ivan Milat: Buried Secrets steps inside the mind of a true psychopath, covering Milat’s strange rituals, his forbidden life, why he killed and killed again, and an unforgettable twist.

Hear from two survivors who share for the first time their terrifying near-death experience at the hands of Milat.

For the families of Milat’s victims and the dozens of other families still living with the pain of not knowing what happened to their murdered or missing loved ones, all are searching for one thing – closure.

Forward by Dr Xanthe Mallet, Criminologist

Ivan Milat died in October 2019 and took his violent secrets to the grave, never confessing to any of his crimes.

Among these secrets were, I believe, details of the other crimes I have no doubt he committed over his criminal career.

This includes murders that are currently listed as cold cases, or long-term missing persons cases. Tim Watson-Munro and I wanted to reinvestigate as, even though Milat is dead, we believed opportunities exist to solve them, even those that are decades old.

To do this, we sourced new technologies and expertise that could aid us in our search for potential victims and help us narrow down a list of the many possibilities to those we think are most likely to be Milat victims.

We discovered over 20 young people who may have fallen foul of Milat.

I have worked with many victims’ families over the years and they all tell me the same thing: they just want to know what happened, and why. Not knowing causes so much ongoing pain.

Having met the families of the potential Milat victims, I am more driven than ever to help bring them answers and hopefully some peace. That’s the only way we can get justice for the victims. The time is right to do this, as the dust has settled on Milat’s death.

Our investigation did not want to focus on the violent predator that harmed so many, but rather to shine a light on the other potential victims, to see if we can help to bring justice to those who have waited so long to learn what happened to their missing or deceased loved ones.

There is no one with whom I would rather investigate these cases. Tim Watson- Munro has over four decades’ experience as a criminal psychologist and has interviewed and analysed many of the most violent criminals in recent Australian history.

More than that, he is also a man who feels deep sympathy for the victims and their families, with a strong sense of justice and a passion for finding the truth.

Forward by Tim Watson-Munro, criminal psychologist

Ivan Milat, for me, has always been a person of significant forensic and clinical interest.

Subsequent to the discovery of cadavers in the Belanglo State Forest and prior to his arrest, I was approached on several occasions by media in Australia to provide, at a distance, a profile regarding the possible offender.

I suggested that he was bad not mad, intelligent, a marauding psychopath and a person who likely lived proximal to the Hume Highway.

When he was eventually arrested, these dynamics were more or less confirmed.

It was not until I became involved in the production of Ivan Milat: Buried Secrets that the true extent and horror of his evil ways became apparent to me.

Although I have dealt with many thousands of psychopaths, including murderers, hitmen, rapists and others, nothing prepared me for Milat. I was truly astounded by his cruelty towards his victims.

Like Dr Mallett, I have always had particular empathy for victims of crime and in addition to my assessment of offenders, I have over the years treated many survivors of brutal criminal incidents, as well as the families of those who

had not survived.

I have also dealt with families who for many years, if not decades, have not known how their loved ones have been killed, as their bodies have never been recovered.

The crippling angst which these individuals endure, never leaves them.

Consequently, I have been very pleased to work with Dr Mallett on this exciting project, with a view to bringing Milat to posthumous justice for other crimes, which as the series reveals, he unquestionably committed.

New promo aired on Seven News Melbourne tonight, featuring an unshaven Craig McLachlan.

The end caption says his interview special is “coming soon”.

1 Like

Craig McLachlan uncensored

7NEWS Spotlight: Horror Show

Coming soon to Channel 7

A major 7NEWS Spotlight documentary months in the making.

• New evidence.

• New eyewitnesses.

• Never-before-seen footage.

• Explosive revelations.

3 Likes

UPDATE: there was a second preview clip featuring McLachlan and partner Vanessa Scammel.

1 Like

The video diaries filmed by Craig McLachlan will form part of the 90-minute special.

UPDATE 8/5 6.30pm AEST:
The special will air next Sunday (May 16) at 7pm, according to a new promo shown tonight during Seven News in Melbourne.

He couldn’t have rotated his phone 90°?

What is this new evidence and who are these new eyewitnesses? If McLachlan had this, why didn’t he use it during his recent trial, and if he has held it back why not hold it back for the defamation trial?

1 Like

7NEWS Spotlight Presents: Horror Show

Craig McLachlan’s tell-all documentary

Back before the allegations, the life of once-acclaimed actor Craig McLachlan and his long-time partner, Vanessa Scammell, was perfect and their future looked bright.

Overnight, that all changed.

From mega-star to alleged monster, in January 2018 press reports put McLachlan in the frame of multiple sexual harassment allegations against female theatre actors.

Soon after McLachlan sued for defamation, a case that’s still to be heard. He was charged and would face trial on 13 serious indecent assault and common law assault offenses against four women on the set of The Rocky Horror Show in 2014.

The public vilification was instant and unforgiving against the backdrop of Harvey Weinstein and the international #MeToo movement.

McLachlan’s career was dead: he was stood down from The Rocky Horror Show and The Doctor Blake Mysteries and hasn’t been able to land a job since.

Just before Christmas last year, he was acquitted of all crimes, but McLachlan’s fight to clear his name is far from over.

In this confronting and emotionally-charged 7NEWS Spotlight exclusive documentary, McLachlan opens up for the first time about the case which has dominated the past three-and-a-half years of his life.

Fearful even of trips to the local supermarket, McLachlan self-exiled to a shipping container on a remote property to escape the public glare. He reveals at the height of his despair being admitted to a mental health facility and a failed suicide attempt.

Nothing if off limits as he details his stratospheric fall and the depression that ultimately saw him hit rock bottom, featuring hours of never-before-seen, unfiltered confessional videos shot by McLachlan over the course of his ordeal.

Above all, this is a love story between McLachlan and his leading lady, Vanessa Scammell: how their relationship survived allegations that would have destroyed most couples.

7NEWS Spotlight Executive Producer, Mark Llewellyn, said: “I’ve been working on thisdocumentary for months and in that time, I have been witness – in the most confronting of ways – to the catastrophic effects public humiliation has on a person, and those who care for them.

“This is a side seldom seen. It’s raw emotion. It’s real pain. It’s what happens when your career, your reputation, your life is taken away from you.

“Like most Australians, I knew Craig from his Logies wins and his television stardom. I knew little about the case, but what this investigation reveals – new vision, new witnesses and new information – is beyond anything I ever expected to uncover.”

7NEWS Spotlight: Horror Show premieres 7pm this Sunday on Channel 7

https://twitter.com/7NewsSpotlight/status/1392659212954595331?s=20

Seven seems to be extremely obsessed with these ‘tell-all’ interviews. What about some actual news that a large majority of the mainstream audience actually care about?

1 Like

I was about to say that. I really don’t think anyone actually cares about the bloke. I don’t think it’s going to rate any good either.

Usually these interviews don’t overly reveal much at all. In fact it probably makes things worse. His got claims against him. Unless he can’t completely prove they are all fake his got no hope of wining anyone over.

Does not seem to be much sympathy about for these people, even if they are innocent. Christian Porter isn’t overly favoured anymore, comments last week on his re appearance in Parliament across socials weren’t great.

Personally I think it’s a good move by Seven to try something else on Sunday nights in place of Big Brother. BB has been beaten by Lego Masters and Masterchef for the last few Sundays.

I think the upcoming Craig McLachlan special should rate well.

1 Like

This documentary might have aged like cheese left out of the fridge even before it goes to air

5 Likes