Seven News Spotlight

Sunday Night.

1 Like

Meghan Markle’s fractured US family pleads for reunion with rogue royal

7NEWS Spotlight set to rock Coronation with bombshell new interview

As the world prepares to watch the Coronation of her estranged in-laws, rogue royal Meghan Markle will need to keep her eyes on this week’s 7NEWS Spotlight for a fresh attack closer to home.

On the eve of King Charles III and Queen Camilla’s big day, it’s her fractured US family who threaten to steal the show.

In an explosive and exclusive new interview to air 8.30pm this Sunday on Channel 7 and 7plus, the “dying” dad of the Duchess of Sussex makes a desperate plea to his once-devoted daughter: please make peace with me before it’s too late.

Showing signs of having suffered a stroke, Thomas Markle Snr joins his son Tom Jnr and daughter Samantha for their first reunion since the former Suits star married Prince Harry and “iced” them out of her life.

Grilling the Markles is 7NEWS Spotlight’s Liam Bartlett, who joins the tabloid-loving trio at Samantha’s Florida home, where they throw a few shrimps on the barbie and their famous half-sister under another bus.

Sharing “treasured childhood videos” of Meghan, including never-before-seen footage of the Hollywood star as her high school’s homecoming queen, the Markles accuse her of swapping her regal role for the full-time job of “hurting” her sickly father and allegedly lying about her life before marrying into the monarchy.

Responding to claims made by Meghan in her Oprah and Netflix specials, Samantha, or “Bonnie” as her family calls her, hits back at her half-sibling over what she calls a “co-dependent” and “toxic relationship” with Prince Harry.

Under-fire Palace officials will cringe at the latest airing of Markle dirty laundry, as they attempt to cleanse the image of an already embattled King and his wife.

7NEWS Spotlight host Michael Usher also reports the latest Coronation news from London, where one royal watcher drops yet another Prince Andrew bombshell.

Don’t miss a salivating second of this royal soap opera, only on 7NEWS Spotlight.

7NEWS Spotlight 8.30m this Sunday on Channel 7 and 7plus

Not on board with this.

Pretty disrespectful of Seven to be honest.

1 Like

So far Spotlight not offering anything different…

Only caught the end of last nights episode which seemed to be about the Kings coronation. I presume this was separate story to the Markle story? Seems the last couple of weeks they’ve added something “current” at the end of the episode … last week a tribute to Barry Humphries. Both have meant the program runs over the hour.

1 Like

Sarah Greenhalgh to join 7NEWS Spotlight

Seven’s esteemed Europe correspondent set to return to Australia for prime-time role

The Seven Network has confirmed its Europe correspondent, Sarah Greenhalgh, will join the flagship public affairs program 7NEWS Spotlight.

Based in London since 2019, Sarah has been recognised for her extraordinary reporting, most notably after the death of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II last year and for her compassionate coverage from the Turkey-Syria earthquake in February.

After breaking news from around the world for Sunrise, 7NEWS and The Latest, Sarah will join 7NEWS Spotlight host Michael Usher, executive producer Mark Llewellyn and investigative reporter Liam Bartlett later this year.

As she prepares to play her part in Seven’s extensive coverage of King Charles III’s coronation over the coming days, Sarah said: “It’s an absolute thrill to be joining Mark and the 7NEWS Spotlight team, including Michael and Liam, whom I’ve long admired.

“Away from the adrenalin rush of breaking news, sharing people’s personal experiences – good or bad – has always been the biggest motivator and privilege. I can’t wait to dig deeper into these stories."

Mark Llewellyn said: “Sarah is a rising star of Australian television news and will be a tremendous addition to 7NEWS Spotlight . She loves journalism, isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty and is committed to telling her stories with truth and passion.”

3 Likes

Great addition for Spotlight - Sarah is a brilliant reporter.

3 Likes

Let’s hope that Spotlight will actually produce and air some decent stories this year instead of the Meghan-bashing rubbish we saw last week.

We really need an alternative to 60 Mins who’s turned into a one-dimensional, tabloid, hawkish slop about billionaires, Ghislaine Maxwell, China, the latest viral sensation and true crime.

2 Likes

The Markle interview featured on Entertainment Tonight. Unfortunately they missed Spotlight from the program name and just said that it was on 7 News.

2 Likes

Don’t think they care.

Who doesn’t care? Seven or ET?

2 Likes

Both I’d say tbh.

Had the 7 News.com.au watermark

2 Likes

But isn’t Spotlight just sporadically shown? Like from memory it’s purpose was not to be locked into a schedule and shown consistently. Because that’s what Sunday Night was, and that program was axed as a cost cutting exercise.

Although I can’t help but feel at the moment, that Seven is bolstering the program’s reporting ranks to make it more of a mainstay in the schedule.

1 Like

That was the point but if that was really the intention then I really don’t see the point myself. It needs to be consistent and hard-hitting compared to the alternative to build the brand.

2 Likes

Entertainment Tonight seemed to care because they featured a fair bit of the interviews. I think Seven don’t do a very good job building Spotlight into a brand. They just make it look like an extension of the news and would probably have more viewers tuning into it, if they made a bit more of an effort.

1 Like

Sarah is excellent. A great addition to Spotlight.

2 Likes

Then really they should have just continued with Sunday Night without a presenter, and still kept the name and maybe half the reporter’s.

3 Likes

Unfortunately SN’s brand was already tarnished and something had to be done as ratings were terrible in its final year.

Though I wish they still kept Mel Doyle for Spotlight. A wasted opportunity there by Seven.

4 Likes

Excuse my ignorance, but what tarnished Sunday Night’s brand?

I mean a certain 60 Minutes report a few years ago made headlines for the wrong reason’s, with calls to axe the program over that report. But the program is still going strong.

4 Likes