Seven News Spotlight

According to News Corp, Peter Bol’s Spotlight interview is part of his two-year contract with Seven, which was only signed last month. That contract also includes appearing on the upcoming season of SAS Australia.

Sorry if it has been mentioned before, but was last night’s Spotlight the first time it was just a half hour episode? Or did it appear last year as both a 30 minute and a 60 minute edition, depending who the guest was?

7News Spotlight returns next Sunday 23 April at 8.30.
Promo introduces Liam Bartlett as new reporter on the team.

2 Likes

Nine’s loss is Seven’s gain, again

5 Likes

5 Likes

Award-winning reporter Liam Bartlett joins 7NEWS Spotlight

Star power added to Seven’s flagship current affairs program returning this Sunday for its fifth season

The Seven Network today announced that acclaimed journalist and broadcaster Liam Bartlett has joined its flagship current affairs program 7NEWS Spotlight.

The award-winning investigative reporter radio personality will make his 7NEWS Spotlight debut at 8.30pm this Sunday on Channel 7 and 7plus.

A graduate of the University of Western Australia, Liam earned his reputation as a tenacious reporter and skilled presenter across television, print and most recently on radio.

Over a 30-year career, his resourceful and relentless investigations have set the agenda, breaking major stories including the public disclosure of $30 million in taxpayer funds being secretly funnelled into Rothwell’s Merchant Bank through the State government’s insurance commission – ultimately leading to the Royal Commission into what was known as WA Inc.

7NEWS Spotlight’s executive producer, Mark Llewellyn, said: “Liam Bartlett is a razor-sharp interviewer and a brilliant journalist. It’s a huge coup to have him join the team.

“We’ve been friends for many years and what you see is what you get: Liam is larger than life. He’s fearless, forthright and fun, but most of all, he gives a damn.

“He’s passionate about his craft and determined to make a difference. And he’s going to make a real difference to the people – our viewers – he fights for,” he said.

Liam Bartlett said: “I’m very excited to be joining a cutting-edge current affairs program that is prepared to push the boundaries and go the extra distance in the public interest.

“I’ve always loved the challenge of an effective interview and 7NEWS Spotlight will give me an enormous opportunity to dive into interviews that try to deliver the answers to questions that all our viewers are asking.”

2 Likes

The Denham Hitchcock replacement. Good gain for 7

1 Like

I’m disturbed :joy:

2 Likes

Sunday 23 April
Hellsong

An investigation into the megachurch empire built by Brian Houston and his family. Amid allegations of tax evasion and fraud, Spotlight track Houston down in the U.S. as he attempts a career revival.

I would have thought that the season premiere would be something not done to death, especially by 60 Minutes

The promos have me interested.

I mean, it’s essentially 60 Minutes 2.0 with Musher and Liam Bartlett on the show. If they get Ross Coulthart full time then there’s essentially no difference between the two.

Wasn’t Ross Coulthart previously on 7’s Sunday Night? As was Mike Munro.
As well as Mike Willesee.

2 Likes

Yes to all 3

2 Likes

3 Likes

From Hillsong to Hellsong, shocking new revelations about Brian Houston’s megachurch

Victims speak out in 7NEWS Spotlight’s season return tonight

It was once hailed as one of the most influential religious organisations in the Western World, a global megachurch, preaching a rock’n’roll brand of modern Christianity.

But just as quickly as Hillsong and its controversial leaders became superstars and super powerful, child sex abuse scandals would bring down its founder, Frank Houston, implicate his son, Brian, and dirty the faith’s squeaky-clean image.

Now, in an explosive season return of 7NEWS Spotlight 8.30pm tonight on Channel 7 and 7plus, guest reporter Tom Tilley lifts the lid on shocking new allegations of abuse and corruption that will shake the church to its core.

Tilley, author of the best-selling story of Pentecostal perversion, Speaking in Tongues, partners with investigative journalist Liam Bartlett to track down Hillsong’s disgraced leader, Brian and his wife Bobbie in their new US bolthole, as the couple try to resurrect their personal fortunes and stage their own “second coming”.

Also on tonight’s program, as a nation mourns the loss of a global superstar, 7NEWS Spotlight pays tribute to the late Barry Humphries and the comedic characters who made him an icon.

1 Like

5 Likes

What was the Humphries interview recycled from?

From a 2012 Sunday Night interview

6 Likes

Did they cut it up or was it republished in full? It was a very well done thing with the three interviewed at once.