Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

i think they did if my memory serves right

Yes, BCV always had local news. In 1994 it was merged with GLV’s news before being axed.

In the early aggregation years Southern Cross went from local bulletins for Bendigo and Gippsland to a combined Ballarat/Bendigo/Shepparton bulletin with Gippsland staying local to Bendigo and Gippsland separate, then combined.

Also messy with changes to national news - two attempts at “SCN/Southern Cross Eyewitness News” at 6.30pm before they bit the bullet and took Ten Melbourne at 5pm.

2 Likes

@JasonF there you go mate. Answer solved.

The bulletin you must of remembered wasn’t a Prime edition but the Southern Cross edition broadcast from Bendigo.

2 Likes

There was a video, long since deleted on YouTube, that “welcomed” Ballarat and Shepparton viewers to Southern Cross News.

I think Southern Cross originally envisaged a local Ballarat bulletin, but like Prime’s plans for local bulletins in Victoria, it never eventuated.

2 Likes

yep and thank you for that and @TheMoreYouKnow also thank you i knew it from from somwhere but i didnt remember where but what you said about bendigo did triger my memories and i do now remember wathcing it on southern cross

But for a short time in Ballarat (western Victoria) viewers we’re getting a combined bulletin broadcast from Bendigo? I would say this was around 1991-1994.

It was a bizarre three years from Southern Cross - easy to confuse things, especially nearly 30 years on :+1:t3:

3 Likes

well maybe when things get back to a new normall and yes i dare say convid-19 will still be around , maybe this might be time for prime7 to start looking at doing local news for central and western vic

Don’t hold your breath, Prime is struggling to do decent local news in some of the places they’ve had bulletins for decades.

Plus HSV news still rates well in regional Victoria, or it did the last time I saw numbers.

4 Likes

Yes, in 1992 once aggregation was in Victoria. Not sure how long it lasted but by 1994, it was back to BCV and GLV with news only.

A bit like how Ten Capital expanded its news coverage to Wollongong but ended up canning that and just showing The Simpsons, which is what Southern Cross did in Victoria outside of Gippsland and Bendigo.

1 Like

im not holding my breath . but i do belive that the new world we are in things are going to change. and weather local news on tv is still going to be relevent who knows. i was only saying about prime7 to give sc9 and win news some competion

@JasonF it would be great to see, but unfortunately in today’s climate (and even after this pandemic) it’s very unlikely we will see local edition return. The advertising revenue and money just isn’t there.

It’s more likely we will see WIN axe it’s local news.

4 Likes

I’m surprised Win’s Victorian bulletins are still going. (less so Shepparton)

I believe ratings for the WIN bulletins were strong in Western Victoria, but is dwindling in resent times.

But who knows if WIN did vacate the time slot, it could open up an opportunity for Prime to move in. But doubtful

2 Likes

yes you are right win bulleteins were strong here in western vic and the ratings are slowing going down

Bendigo particularly has never been “strong” to be my knowledge; Seven News always rated best at 6pm.

Not sure about Gippsland.

1 Like

But was because of win recording the news in Wollongong and no longer here.in Ballarat.but that’s.for the win news.thred

I think it’s more to do with WIN changing from Nine to Ten content in resent years. Also WIN now has direct competition from 9 News Western Victoria.

4 Likes

But when you’re removing 19 minutes of advertising a day, that is a HUGE cost in itself.

1 Like

I wonder if Seven might utilise the secondary channels long term for regional variations if it did become owners of prime7. If you look at 7qld, they also screen local news on 7two.

I think ,7 should do some changes during the day, remember when 7 didn’t just screen made for tv movies in the 1980s when Ivan Hutchinson used to introduce them and a 2 and a half hour movie on Fridays?

Seven needs to be less of a clone of Nine. But ideally as far as news content if 7 buys prime7 either in the interim or long term, 7 should try local news in regions that currently have no prime news presence.

2 Likes