Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

“The voice of The New England” - I’m not local, but does anyone actually refer to the area as “the New England”?

1 Like

I think technically that is correct, as it’s a regional name, not a town name… so it’d be similar to “The Voice of the Central West”.

2 Likes

People say “I live in the Central West” or “I live on the (North) Coast”, but would they really say “I live in the New England”?

1 Like

I doesn’t sound right. I’m sure someone here would be able to explain it, but for me ‘the’ works for areas of a place. Like ‘the Southern Slopes’ or ‘the North Coast’. The (area of) (a place)

The New England is weird because I think it emphasises the word New in the wrong way. It doesn’t need ‘the’ to separate ‘New’ as if it’s only a part of a wider region called ‘England’. Or something to that degree anyway. I’m not entirely sure how to explain it. I just know it isn’t right.

3 Likes

Would they say “I live in the New England region” instead?

It’s sort of the worst of both worlds, isn’t it. “I live in New England” compared to “I live in the New England”, they both sound off.

3 Likes

:+1:

yes

1 Like

Those two are geographic regions, as is New England so the “the” is used consistently

Granted, it’s not a great name, but the alternatives arent much better either - doesn’t help the bulletin’s coverage area is geographically diverse enough to cover several regions.

2 Likes

I think North West could be a better option.

Tamworth and Moree are more North West Slopes than New England anyway (which is more Armidale and Inverell).

1 Like

Maybe now they’ve got the financial backing of Seven the budget might stretch to a tin of paint or some new blinds to brighten up the background.

4 Likes

I mostly hear New England as a suffix to the Hunter (as in “Hunter New England”), so I’ve never heard it by itself without being referred to as “the New England region”.

2 Likes

Even a god damned screensaver slide show of some 7 News logos would improve it ten fold.

1 Like

8 Likes

Looking at those I can see where “The New England” comes from. For me “The Voice of New England” seems better.

4 Likes

Noodle news update opener now updated.

15 Likes

Any updates from regional Victoria, Ballarat, Bendigo?

I have posted some from Bendigo up in the thread from yesterday, look up

3 Likes

This afternoon’s Illawarra noodle update rebranded with the Seven News opener:

3 Likes

The new opener looks very yuck to me. Couldn’t they just use the normal one?

5 Likes

I agree mate. They need to fix it. Even 7QLD is better than what we have. Come on seven, wake up.

1 Like