Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of Prime 7 News at 6:30 is? Wouldn’t it make more sense to just rebroadcast the news out of Sydney? Keep local news 100%, but why the 6:30 Prime News? Especially after the acquisition?

3 Likes

Probably considered a bunch of scenarios with regards to viewership, impact to revenue and so forth

maybe it will change if it makes sense to do that (do regional viewers really want to watch metro news at 6:30? I’m sure they’ll do some research on that)

Sydney news is basically over at 6:30 anyway, it’s just sport/weather at that point which isn’t news

1 Like

No relaunch for the local news here in North West NSW

The only option would be to put the 6pm Local News at 5.30pm or have the painfully truncated 7 News at 6 to go at 6.30 (like what Prime7 Albury-Wodonga does).

There’s also a number of Sydney-centric stories (no surprise there) that just aren’t relevant to regional audiences

1 Like

Im not exactly surprised. There isnt blue in primes graphics

1 Like

The same guy who ‘leaked’ the Seven refresh says Prime7 and GWN7 will be refreshing too.

If Prime and GWN are to be “refreshed” graphics-wise, does that mean the Canberra facility needs a new software (or even tweaking their current one) to make the Seven News 2022 graphics compatible?

Probably not, it might just take longer to roll out and test.

1 Like

It allows Prime to present a cohesive and tailored (in terms of the crosses Seven News reporters do for the 6:30pm bulletin) bulletin that features broader state, national and international stories rather than:

• a) Air a bulletin that will promote stories/features Prime viewers won’t see (assuming they only air the first half of the 6pm bulletin); or
  • b) (As DJPizarro mentioned) Have to do broader scheduling changes.

I think if they canned the 6:30 Prime “National” news, they’d need to do some tweaking of the 7 News Sydney… I imagine they’d need to make the first half hour heavily focused on state/national news, then focus on Sydney local news in the latter half hour. I’m unsure if the local news should then air at 5:30 to lead into the 6pm sydney/state news or at 7pm… I feel like viewers would have dropped off by 7pm… and “The Chase” lead in to the 6pm slot is a money maker… So perhaps 7 News (Sydney) live at 6 across the state… then local editions from 6:30… somehwere in the link they will need to do a smooth opt out for regionals/prime locals… Ideally they’d have pre-recorded a handover… Thoughts? (Side note… it means no need for the 6:30 Prime News Team / enabling redeployment into local market)

Sydney won’t make changes to accomodate regional viewers. So there are two options…

1. Keep going as is, creating a 6.30 national bulletin. Or
  2. Take a leaf from 7 Queensland and edit down break 1 from Sydney, and take sport/weather live.

Once Prime is folded in to the 7 News brand, 7 could do a half hour bulletin to run across regional NSW and QLD.

1 Like

:scream:

(it was a regional news segment in 7’s Afternoon bulletin)

6 Likes

That idea is stupid. Viewers then won’t get to see national sport. 5:30pm is the only option for Prime7 News if they want to show Seven News in full.

Why are you being so rude and disrespectful?

9 Likes

What about VIC?

2 Likes

Little bit harsh to call it stupid, don’t you think?

7 Likes

I probably wouldn’t go as far as calling it stupid, but this wouldn’t be a great idea at all.

1. As mentioned above, you would lose the national sport segment.

2. As far as competition, everyone else does local news first, then the national. WIN has their local news at 5:30, then the national bulletin in full at 6. NBN has all their local stories in the first block (granted, sport and weather are done later in the bulletin). People would likely tune in to see their local news at 6, see Fergo, and assume they are just getting the metro bulletin.

3. You would lose The Chase lead in to local news. If The Chase rates as well in regional areas as it does in the metros, it’s very important that they captialise on the eyeballs.

Oh well, nothing happening over at Prime7, for now at least.

5 Likes

Damn it, such a stupid mistake

I might do some mocks for it anyway tomorrow with the new graphics package

1 Like