Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

I don’t think it matters that much if it wasn’t live, if it was done in the last 15 minutes or so before going to air, I think that’s current enough.

2 Likes

They used giant LIVE transition on screen

Normally when it’s not live that transition is just a prime 7 logo

1 Like

i would expect that will happen in time.

There was no presenter acknowledgement in that cross so I thought it might have also been used/recorded for other bulletins or markets as well. I was thinking Sydney 4pm but checking on 7plus it had dedicated crosses. Either way it is good to see more resource sharing and coordination creeping in.

2 Likes

Tonight’s Central West bulletin - Maddie presented solo and also presented the weather due to Kirstie being sick. Phoebe Deas presented sport.

2 Likes

They usually set up a separate presenter for sport segments outside the North Coast. Local sport, given that they’re not time-critical, is pre-recorded first. That’s how I observed in recent years for Prime7, which is still known not to do a 7QLD or WIN News in producing multiple editions at once.

2 Likes

I was surprised they covered a Walgett news item when it’s not serviced by any Prime7 market.

3 Likes

Not officially but if you have an Apple device, the imagery on Apple Maps Look Around for Walgett shows that it seems that both CWN6 and NEN9 were receivable there. Whether the digital signals from the respective transmitter sites make it there now remains to be seen.

2 Likes

I bet prime will do a WIN and not bother with updating graphics for a long while. They will say its too expensive to do it now

The difference here is Prime is now metro-owned. They’re probably upgrading their software behind the scenes to make everything compatible with metro.

Then it would surely be a simple matter of sending the templates and files?

4 Likes

The old analogue CWN6 signal used to go a very long way across the flat plains up that way.

1 Like

I think it was 400kw too, one of the most powerful VHF signals in the country back then.

1 Like

Perhaps some of the people out that way have one of the better aerials considering they are in a weaker reception area. With how flat it is out that way, they could potentially still get the feeds from NEN and CWN.

1 Like

They’ve been covering a few “out of region” events in recent time too - they sent a crew from Tamworth to do a story about the issues to do with the Queensland border closures during Covid

Did Prime do that too? NBN sent Jess Worboys up there a few months ago to do that.

1 Like

The ancient MySwitch site says “no” to digital from Mount Cenn Cruaich (the CBN signal), 170 km away…but only just.

But that suspects that fortuitous reception from Walgett via analogue may have been possible, and those in nearby towns like Coonamble (1h15 away by car) and Narrabri (2 hrs away) may find -some- interest in what is happening in the next town across. Plus those with VAST satellite can access the local news feeds though how much Prime would care about that I dunno.

It’s not much, but it’s also not entirely isolated - a Google video search has popped up four stories mentioning Walgett on Prime Central West news in the last six months.

It’s definitely a public service thing to do as they wouldn’t be getting any local content points at all for that, from my understanding - Walgett not being in the same licence area, let alone sub-market, unless it’s a pan-regional story with other local content.

1 Like

The question is, where does the Central West (old CBN licence area) and North West (old NEN licence area) cut out. Potentially it could be say 20 or 40km out of Walgett, so people that live closer to Walgett than other localities would be interested in Walgett events.

Ultimately, do the stations that are said to cover Walgett ( Imparja and Southern Cross) even provide even the remotest news service to Walgett?

Looking up the maps looks like it’s no more than 50km to the East (Nthn NSW) and the South (Sthn NSW), and both boundaries are closer to Walgett than the next biggest towns.

Prime also have the historic presence of a translator site in Cobar, which would imply in theory the CBN license area might be different to the standard Southern NSW one?

Cobar is just a historical anomaly isn’t it? I can’t find any specific reference to a separate CBN licence area, but under the Southern NSW licence area description it does mention Cobar . For whatever reason this is not reflected on the map - but it probably just goes back to CBN having that historic presence.

within the Local Government Area of Cobar (A); Collection District Numbers 151901, 151902, 151903, 151904, 151906, 151907 and 151908

According to myswitch both Prime and 7 Central rebroadcast in Cobar but I’ve no idea if this is reflected in reality, but I’m sure someone else around here does.