Seven News (Regional Qld)

Ok, so the answer was there. Conversation done.

Here he makes a valid point (sort of, hear me out here). But on public holidays bulletins can be statewide.

Then we descended into a debate about the importance of news bulletins compared to supermarkets and petrol…

2 Likes

Jesus, last night I thought they confirmed Bec Maddern joining Seven News with 31 posts,
And tonight I thought Rob Brough might’ve retired with 20 posts.

11 Likes

:man_facepalming:

This topic was automatically opened after 9 hours.

Liv will be off for the Christmas/New Year holiday break, so here is his final weather segment for 2021. Expect mostly sunrise-sunset pics from next week, with Rosanna expected to fill-in for the holidays.

(from the live Sunshine Coast feed)

4 Likes

Here:

3 Likes

Here’s the Regional Queensland Christmas ident: Channel Seven Queensland - Christmas Ident (December 2021) - YouTube

Odd how they didn’t get Rob and Jo to deliver the Christmas message at the end of the ident. Instead they got Sharyn and Max to. People in Regional Queensland would be way more familiar with Rob and Jo over Sharyn and Max, since hardly anyone (including me) would watch the cut down Seven News Brisbane bulletin in Regional Queensland.

Simple: Regional QLD ratings helped Seven News Brisbane to be No. 1 statewide despite losing to Nine in the South East of the state. And, they still watch it even if it’s condensed on weeknights. Let them be. That’s the end of the matter.

1 Like

This is an interesting point, and one I’ve wondered about before. I doubt it’s advertised to people in regional QLD that the metro bulletin they see is a cut down version of the real thing. If you didn’t know this, it makes so much sense to watch a bulletin that has at least a few local stories in it and then watch the metro one with national and statewide news.

It’s the best of both worlds, which aside from the bulletin’s longevity I would assume is the main reason that 9 never stood a chance with their composite bulletins.

It really is the perfect combo, at least in theory. The execution is a different story.

2 Likes

A Merry Christmas wink from Rob

8 Likes

It is not advertised that way at all.
Seven even cover up the clock that is shown on the live bug in the corner. So instead of saying “Live 6:01pm Southbank” for example, the regional bulletin gets a coverup which just has the 7 News logo with “Live” written underneath (even though it’s not actually live).

99.9% of viewers would have no idea and wouldn’t be able to tell that the bulletin is cut down. There are a few minor things you notice as someone who knows about the format, but most people wouldn’t have a clue.

It’s definitely the best of both worlds. Viewers get half an hour of their own local news, sport, and weather, then get the “national” bulletin with all of the irrelevant Brisbane centric stuff cut out of the news.

5 Likes

Better view of the studio Christmas tree

4 Likes

I wonder if this is helped by Seven proactively doing it for the Brisbane News, knowing it’s going to be cut down, using that to help structure their hour.

I’m sure people in Albury watching the cut down Seven Melbourne news would find it a bit more obvious, as I’d expect that’s basically just yanking 30 minutes out of the middle of the bulletin, hence them taking the strategy of the bespoke half hour in NSW.

1 Like

I’ve started to watch the Brisbane news after the regional bulletin, however I noticed that the regional news seem to be desperate for content as they always go running to the opposition for an opinion which is always a winge fest

1 Like

As long as they don’t cut stories off mid sentence it’s fine. Which is what I remember Prime doing in the past.

2 Likes

Townsville receiving the Brisbane bulletin tonight due to COVID-19 exposure.

7 Likes

Dang, not the way it should be. Since last year, a CNN-branded channel in the Philippines (my home country) had to shut local production for disinfection purposes; gladly it wasn’t 2020, when the channel had to shut off twice after detecting positive cases.

1 Like

7 News Townsville not airing again tonight as a staff member has tested positive.

News article from Townsville Bulletin:
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/townsville/7news-townsville-has-closed-due-to-a-staff-member-testing-positive-22-new-cases/news-story/f309f0ba84a59de940d67922da3d4dbb

3 Likes

Gives WIN News a free kick. Oh wait :grimacing:

I guess no Freelancers to cover?

1 Like

The station is out of action due to COVID cleaning. Easier to just air the Brisbane news than try to run a bulletin entirely with freelancers. It’s not just the on-air people, it’s also the behind the scenes staff.