Seven News Presenters and Reporters

Interesting to note that Matt Carmichael was addressed as Seven’s Sports Editor on Weekend Sunrise’s Sport Talk segment yesterday morning, but when Basil Zempilas appeared on The Latest a few weeks ago, Michael Usher called him Seven’s Sports Editor too.

Not that it’s a big deal to the average viewer, but it seems strange, perhaps the role is shared.

4 Likes

Sunday 27 September

Michael Usher is presenting in Sydney filling in for Mark Ferguson.

10 Likes

Fergo did sound a bit sick towards the end of last week IIRC.

4 Likes

Seven News Melbourne ‘kept it in the family’ tonight, using former reporter Emma Power as an interview subject.

13 Likes

For those we aren’t aware Emma was with Seven from 1994 until 2009,she then moved into the corporate world taking on media relations/communications roles in management.

10 Likes

Angie’s return from maternity leave was mentioned in the Sunday papers.

Screenshot_20200927-204110~2 Screenshot_20200927-204218~2

9 Likes

Ryan Phelan spoke to Ben Fordham on 2GB in Sydney this morning, speaking out after his domestic violence charges were dropped.

1 Like

Monday 28 September-

Mark Ferguson is back presenting in Sydney tonight.

6 Likes

Wonder if Mark has signed a new contract yet? I seem to recall significant newspaper coverage of his current five year deal back in mid-2015.

2 Likes

Most likely, given how much Seven seem to love him.

Unpopular opinion, but I personally hope that Mark still stays in the main chair in Sydney for some time yet. IMO there’s no one else at Seven who could takeover from him.

@FootyKick I would say Michael Usher could easily take over from him one day!

1 Like

Speaking of Mark Ferguson, today I came across an article about him written in March this year.

Apparently it is said he did have elocution lessons - but that was to soften his quite country accent at the time.
Something also interesting was that he begins from 2:30, and says he gets home around 8. (out the door by 7:30)
1 Like

Personally I don’t particularly rate Michael Usher as a 6pm news reader. He seems to frequently stop and start mid sentence and seems uncomfortable in front of an autocue.

But I think he’s great on The Latest and is also great on breaking and rolling news coverage.

I wouldn’t mind any of the two in the 6pm chair, to be honest.

1 Like

Not sure, but I can think of a few reasons why Seven may have decided to avoid making as big a deal about Fergo’s contract status this time around…

Agreed! In the long run, I think Michael Usher would be more competitive in the ratings against Peter Overton than Fergo (who is often outrated by fill-in presenters on Nine) is now.

Worth remembering too that Michael Usher regularly gets beaten by Georgie Gardner on Fri & Sat nights, and was also beaten by Mark Burrows too last night.

But in saying that, the one week that Seven Sydney beat Nine Sydney in 2019 was when Michael Usher was filling in for Mark Ferguson in July.

1 Like

I still think Seven’s best chance at a surge ahead in Sydney is by luring Georgie across to front a revamped bulletin.

Could be an opportunity to poach if she is coming off contract at the end of the year (will be three years since she signed her Today contract).

Not a chance. I’m not even sure Georgie would be Peter Overton’s replacement if he left. She works well as the weekend reader and fill-in but not sure she’s main anchor worthy.

2 Likes

Monday 28th September-Thursday 01st October:

Amanda Abate presented Queensland’s Afternoon News from the GC bureau.

Tina Altieri presented Perth’s afternoon news and Amelia Broun presented Perth’s weather.

7 Likes

Tuesday 29 September & Wednesday 30 September-

Andrew McCormack is presenting sport on Afternoon News in Melbourne.

7 Likes