Seven News Presenters and Reporters

It’s all a bit of a mess. Why did they take Mike off the road in the first place? What’s the point of dual anchors on weekends? Clearly it was not a succession plan as was suggested. Why make the change now? Why replace him with Will Goodings? Why release a statement if you hadn’t worked out what was happening with Mike?

To make matters more questionable, Will’s first bulletin is this Friday.

4 Likes

Maybe Sunrise will have local news?

From the point of view of the occasional 7 News viewer, the co-presenters doesn’t work for me personally. Rosanna is strong enough to hold her own, and Mike is a great political, special events reporter and presenter but having them both there didn’t add anything, especially when there wasn’t much news to report given it was a weekend. When Jessica Adamson did weekends for all those years, she was solo and it worked pretty perfectly because weekends aren’t as intense as the week.

I do wonder what they’ll do with Mike, maybe a possible replacement for Jane Doyle when the day comes, she has been around at 7 on the 6pm bulletin for as long as I’ve been on the earth and would have to be close to calling time. Also very keen to see how Will goes this week as well, didn’t really watch 10 when he was on it then but his work in radio is great.

Nope. See my post tonight in the Sunrise thread.

So Jane is being scaled back to four nights?

Interesting. Presumably if Rosanna is doing 6pm 3 days a week, she will do the daytime bulletins less often. Maybe Mike will do them 5 days a week but not sure why they wouldn’t just announce that now.

Liz Cantor is off on maternity leave. Announcement of a replacement to be made this week.

“Leaving you in safe, informative and entertaining hands on Monday night; stay tuned all will be revealed.” Steve Titmus then said “later in the week”.

Strangely the on top of the audio from the live cross you could head what sounded like Sharyn Ghidella and Max Futcher making comments largely unintelligible.

1 Like

Could it be Tim Bailey? IIRC he lives on the Gold Coast these days?

Is he locally popular? What’s the appeal in dumping someone as experienced as Mike just as the ratings started to settle? It’s obviously the name, but it’s not like he’s close to the newsreader that Graeme was.

1 Like

He hosts 5AA breakfast with David Penbarthy and in the last survey their breakfast show was No.1 so he’s definitely got some profile in Adelaide.

I kind of think that Mike prefers to be out on the road, he sort of gives off the Chris Reason kind of vibe.

At the time, I criticised taking one of their most experienced off the road. But since the announcement the other day, I went back and read an interview Mike did a when he joined weekends. He alluded that he was expecting to finish his career at the desk. I really don’t think this is his call.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Saturday (01.10.2022): Steve Titmus is presenting in Brisbane tonight.

6 Likes

Saturday 1 October -
Mike Amor presenting solo in Melbourne tonight.

3 Likes

Will Gooding was a bit deer in the headlights for his first weekend at 7News. Certainly more like a radio presenter trying to read the news rather than an actual news reader.

Still very keen to see where Mike ends up, maybe he will just read the daytime bulletins til he’s sorta ready to retire, Ann Sanders style.

3 Likes

02/10/2022:
Katrina Blowers is presenting the 5pm news.

7 Likes

Saturday 1 October -
Mike Amor presenting solo in Melbourne tonight.

Bec back tonight.

2 Likes

Abbey Gelmi revealed at the end of sport segment in Melbourne tonight that she is expecting her first child, with partner Kane Lambert (three-time premiership player for Richmond in the AFL, who retired in July this year).

EDIT 1: the pregnancy explained why Abbey had to stay away from Seven’s Commonwealth Games coverage for a few days due to illness.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/abbey-gelmi-kane-lambert-reveal-theyre-expecting-first-child/news-story/827a8d6f9e27ec26bb6dd739accb9922

EDIT 2: Here is the announcement

5 Likes

What are peoples thoughts on Abbey? I’m not sure what it is, but I don’t feel she fits the news sports role.

4 Likes