Seven News Presenters and Reporters

Yvette Mooney presenting Today Tonight in 1996. Not much footage from those years before Monika Kos took over.

Credit: @Cindy Truelove

6 Likes

I am watching a full Seven bulletin for the first time in quite a while right now, and I must say I’m finding Rebecca Maddern really cold and uninspiring as a newsreader.

I really liked her on Weekend Today when she could loosen up and show her personality. I think it’s hosting roles where she flourishes.

But yeah, not really sold on her as a newsreader.

I think Rebecca’s cold full stop. Presenting and straight news reading. Definitely not a warm and welcoming personality at all.

1 Like

The general public in Melbourne seem to disagree with you there and you seem to be the odd one out. :rofl:

She’s an excellent newsreader :+1:

4 Likes

She’s well loved here in Geelong or at least the Geelong Advertiser thinks so. She was on the front page the other day when she did the Big Freeze event.

1 Like

She’s well liked full-stop in the Melbourne market. Seven did well picking her up last year. Money well spent.

2 Likes

Yes. I’ve never lived in the Melbourne market but even watching videos on here going back 10 years ago she was cold and monotonous.

5 Likes

She suited the 4:30 News when she read it after DJ retired when it was still a very serious, hard news bulletin but she doesn’t really suit Seven’s bulletins in the present day.

3 Likes

You sure about that? At least three members on here have agreed with me. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Are they from Melbourne though?

2 Likes

So? I’m not sure why that matters? Rebecca has been a national personality for nearly 20 years. Seven Afternoon News, Sunrise, Australian Ninja Warrior and Weekend Today. I’m sure those of us outside of Melbourne have seen more than enough of Rebecca in order to make a justified analysis of Rebecca’s style.

2 Likes

Very much sure about that… seen Sevens news ratings lately?? :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Haven’t we learnt that what people view and listen to doesn’t really prove anything? Alan Jones and Kyle Sandilands are arguably more disliked than liked around Australia but they win (or won in Alan’s case) pretty much every survey.

1 Like

That an an excellent point David… well done :clap: :man_facepalming:

Whatever. His original comment was about disliking Bec Maddern which is all good and well. BJT2 then said that many in Melbourne disagrees with him and he then said that three people have agreed with him and saying are you sure in response to BJT2’s Melbourne comment so that’s what my response was for.

I’m not inclined to make this into an argument so I’ll see myself out.

2 Likes

Excuse me mate. Don’t whatever me please. You made a comment insinuating nobody outside Melbourne was entitled to an opinion or that if they did have one it didn’t matter because they’re not from Melbourne. I just replied to you mentioning that she’s been seen around the country quite a lot.

Calm down take a breath. Lordy.

No need to get on the outrage bandwagon.

She is very well liked in the Melbourne market.

However I agree with other posts that her tone and presentation seems very cold this time round on Seven. It’s really evident in the “banter” moments where she would once crack a smile and have a laugh. Now it’s all very forced and she’s trying not to crack.

She is still a great talent though.

3 Likes

Bec returning to 7 Melb is the best thing to happen to it in the 3 years I’ve been here.

Mitch is terrible. Anyone who thinks he is the best for 7 Melbourne is deluded. Mike is good but very ‘Mike’ and kind of ‘ in your face’.

Bec is the best presenter 7 Melbourne has at the current time. (and I wasn’t a fan of her on 9 or Today).

9 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

I used to like Mitch but when they did the OBs back in the day it clearly showed his weakness is being off script. Anything he does that isn’t scripted heavily he fumbles and can’t ad-lib.

I feel on air overall he’s worse each as each year passes. Even his “banter” with Tim Watson each night he struggles to get the words out.

It does make me wonder with Alicia being Hitch’s successor when the time comes, how audiences would react if Bec was main news reader up against her…

5 Likes