Seven News Presenters and Reporters

Well the bulletin was planned to go to Perth only. So maybe that’s why.

4 Likes

Sunday Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne reports that Rebecca Maddern joining Seven is coming closer and closer, with all signs pointing to her starting with Channel 7’s weekend news team ‘within weeks’. Whilst Bec is expected to start early in the new year, there is speculation she may read on weeknights with Mike over summer.

It’s understood work will be getting underway in coming days to reconfigure the studio’s lighting and camera positions, and altering the desk, to accomodate both Amor and Maddern.

Seven is yet to comment on any changes.

8 Likes

Incorrect time showing in Sydney. It was showing Perth time on the screen lol

2 Likes

Mike Amore will likely read up until 23rd December and return on Monday the 3rd January. Blake / Jacqui will most likely read between Christmas and New Years.

Bec could start (with Mike) on the 3rd January if a contract can be agreed to and set changes can be made quickly.

4 Likes

7 let Mel Doyle go and take Rebecca Maddern back… making some poor choices still.

7 Likes

Saturday (11.12.2021): Georgie Chumbley presented Brisbane’s weather.

Sunday (12.12.2021): Katie Brown is presenting sport in Brisbane tonight. It’s her first time on 6pm.

9 Likes

Not quite equal. Mel commanded a bigger salary and lives in Sydney. There wasn’t anything for her to do in Sydney after Sunday Night was canned. Bec is in Melbourne where there ia clearly a need for her skills, and her salary would be far less.

5 Likes

Do we think Seven reportedly signing Bec is a good move? There seems to be a lot of negative comments on social media and news articles to the tune of ‘Won’t be tuning in’ ‘Will switch to Nine’.

I’ve always thought Bec is better hosting than she is at reading news, but I hope I’m proven wrong.

2 Likes

Completely disagree. She was a fantastic newsreader and it’s an excellent move by Seven.

1 Like

I personally think hiring her is a waste of money. There’s no open role, they’re putting her in one that doesn’t need someone.

Money could be spent better.

2 Likes

Same could be said with a lot of the talent in Sydney.

1 Like

They’ve managed with one newsreader anchoring the bulletin since the Johnston/Fulwood combination was dumped over 20 years ago. Not sure why they need an additional head at the desk two nights a week. It isn’t as if the stupid Ken and Barbie weekend news experiment in Sydney has made a significant impact on the news ratings in that city. Dumb decision for a network that is supposed to be in cost cutting mode.

5 Likes

Absolutely. Long gone are the days where talent made the bulletin. You could easily dump Usher and keep Cox and the ratings wouldn’t drop.

I don’t understand hiring Maddern for weekends at all.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind them hiring Bec but they don’t need her to be paired with Amor. Either Amor stays on weekends and Bec moves to Afternoon News full time or vice versa.

2 Likes

But they don’t need her? Why waste the wages on her when arvos are fine as is?

Like I said there is no real opening for her.

3 Likes

Moving Bec to Afternoon News seems to be a “downgrade” for her, unless Seven has more programs for her to do in the future.

2 Likes

Shes well liked in Melbourne and popular. I’m sure she’ll be doing more than weekends. Expect her to work over a few platforms within the network.

Seven Melbourne (also) needs a female presenter to add much needed diversity to the station. They currently have Peter (1st) Mike (2nd) and Blake (3rd) as news presenters.

2 Likes

If Bec never left Nine then it’s safe to say Mike would continue to read weekends solo indefinitely. This role has obviously only been created to accomodate her specifically.

I mean Bec’s a great talent, but it goes to show how management play favourites. Wonder how the under-utilised talent at HSV-7 feel about this.

3 Likes

They do. They don’t have anyone on the books who is remarkable or adequate enough for when Mitch and Amor retires. Jacqueline Felgate is still very average and Blake is still not very Melbourne. Bec is someone who could work well as she did previously until management made her eat a poo sandwich.

Compared to Nine’s lineup of Alicia, Dougal, Brett (when he returns), Laura Turner etc, Seven’s lineup is very underwhelming and they’re heavily reliant on Mitch/Mike to carry the bulletin. Bec on the other hand would break up the beefcake nature of their lineup.

With the greatest respect to some of the talents, those who had potential wouldn’t have stayed at HSV if they wanted to thrive (Emily Angwin, Laurel Irving etc).

You’re right though that Seven management plays favouritism in Melbourne. It’s pretty evident with the likes of Jacqueline Felgate and Sean Sowerby over superior talents like Bec, Michael Felgate and Nick Etchells before they left.

4 Likes

They knew that though when they added Mike to weekends and made Blake 3IC instead of Jacqui. That was their own doing.

I just think for a network that is allegedly needing to cut costs and the currently free to air environment that they don’t need her and having 2 readers is a waste of money on the weekend.

2 Likes