Seven News Presenters and Reporters

Off topic, and IYKYK but I always read Ann’s name as ‘Ann Sandblast’ :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Ann only presented the evening bulletin for about a decade though, didn’t she? Long-serving newsreader for sure, but it’s impressive for anybody to remain in a single job at the top for 30+ years.

2 Likes

Didn’t Ann only come to 7 in the early 90s?

1 Like
1 Like

BC?

4 Likes

Gold. :+1:

1 Like

I’m going to have to agree with those saying it’s not that easy for Bec Maddern to simply return to Seven. I do agree long gone are the days of network talent being bigger than the network itself. As we’ve seen in recent years with Mel Doyle, Natarsha Belling etc just because you’ve left a network doesn’t mean there’s room at others.

We are living in a different media landscape now. One that doesn’t rely on purely network talent. With dwindling free to air ratings the talent should expect decreases in wages at each contract renewal.

I would say Kyle and Jackie O might be the last ones on big money now. Once they’re gone or radio dwindles too, whichever comes first, radio talent will also loose their big dollars.

4 Likes

Isn’t Ross Stevenson and Neil Mitchell on big contracts at 3AW.

1 Like

I’m honestly surprised that Seven didn’t hire Tarsh for the Sunrise newsreader gig back in March.

1 Like

Because they already had/wanted to promote Eddy.

3 Likes

Whilst Eddy is a very good newsreader, she could have stayed on entertainment. The role of a newsreader and that of an entertainment presenter can be like chalk and cheese (one minute she could be talking about COVID deaths, the next she’s telling us all about the latest A-list couples). The two roles really need to be separate, as they were in the Sam Armytage days.

Alternatively, they could have gotten Tarsh in to do entertainment news, freeing Eddy up to focus solely on the newsreader role.

Maybe that was the original plan but there was no budget for the role, but I agree it’s not the best look.

2 Likes

What was the Sydney anchor timeline in the 90s?
Was Ann solo? When did Roger Climpson leave? Where did Ross fit in? Who did weekends?

1 Like

It’s the other way around. Seven News needs Bec. She is sensational at News, Melbourne presenting lineup needs some serious attention at the moment. Weekend team in Melbourne all need to go. We need to rewind the clock about 10 years and go back to what 7 News was.

4 Likes

I thought Jennifer Keyte hosted the weekends at that time.

1 Like

Holidays?

2 Likes

audience research found she was very icy - not much connection with the audience

3 Likes

Maybe she didn’t want it. Plus she had a job already with SCA/Listnr.

2 Likes

Bec’s a bit hard around the edges reading news IMO. Much prefer her hosting shows like Weekend Today or hosting sport coverage.

She’d been on 3AW a few times to discuss news of the day with the program host and did quite well.

1 Like

I didn’t know that…still, a lot of journos manage to combine TV and radio work (Rebecca Morse in Adelaide was one notable example)

1 Like