Seven News Presenters and Reporters

Thursday 8 October-

Jacqui Felgate is presenting sport on Morning News again today.

Andrew McCormack is presenting sport on Afternoon News in Melbourne today.

8 Likes

Friday 9 October-

Samantha Brett will be presenting weather on Morning News today.

6 Likes

Friday 09th October-Saturday 10th October:

Matt Carmichael is presenting sport once again this Friday/Saturday, filling in for Matt Shirvington who’s in Queensland filming Holey Moley.

6 Likes

Rob Scott has officially begun in Seven’s Canberra Bureau, replacing Tim Lester.

Excuse the closed eyes!

8 Likes

Regarding this pic, it looks like not all the text fit in the headline rectangle?

3 Likes

Correct, that seems to be the case here.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but it looks like former Channel 10 Sports Editor Andrew McKinlay has joined the network as a sports reporter. He was reporting last night on the Wallabies and All Blacks rugby game.

5 Likes

Between stints at Ten he was at Fox Sports, although Andrew McKinlay is probably most well known for his lengthy time at Nine.

7 Likes

Wednesday 14th October & Thursday 15th October -

Sean Sowerby presented sport on the Morning News.

Morning News sport roster seems to be:

Monday - Jacqui Felgate
Tuesday - Matt Carmichael
Wednesday and Thursday - Sean Sowerby one week, Jacqui Felgate the next week
Friday - Matt Shirvington (or Matt Carmichael until Shirvo returns)

1 Like

Nothing like consistency.

2 Likes

I guess at the end of the day it’s only just the Morning News sport of all things, it’s not like it’s the newsreader for a flagship bulletin.

3 Likes

Tim Lester is now in the US. He was reporting on Sunrise this morning.

9 Likes

Moving some discussion from the Sunrise thread into a more relevant topic.

I’d probably go one step further.

At the risk of making me sound like one of those “Everywhere” promos from 2014, Seven (and indeed, all television networks) should be aiming to win the hearts and minds of viewers in every city, at every time of the day and night. At the moment, Nine is probably Sydney’s “default” network so to speak.

Unlike Sunrise where national ratings do need to be taken into consideration when it comes to presenter choices, whether or not Mark Ferguson should be presenting Sydney’s 6pm bulletin is something that should determined by ratings in that market alone. How Seven News rates in Adelaide or Perth should be completely irrelevant when it comes to making key decisions (such as presenter choices) in Sydney.

But since we’ve gone on about this topic more times than I care to remember, it’s pointless arguing about it because Seven News seem to think their current position in the Sydney market is “satisfactory”!

2 Likes

I definitely agree with you that each market needs to be looked at closely to aim for success in each market, of course.

What I was saying wasn’t necessarily my point of view, more how the news directors would look at it. The way they see it, with Seven on top nationally and typically having their 6pm news half hour being the most watched program every day, they’re probably thinking something along the lines of “if it’s not broken, why fix it?”, which I agree is the stance that they shouldn’t be taking.

After Seven’s Morning News is aired, I assume this is correct

3 Likes

Former 7 News presenter David Johnston was on the Melbourne 4PM news today to reflect on the 50th anniversary of the West Gate Bridge disaster.

16 Likes

Yes I was surprised no one else mentioned this. Great to see this legend of a newsreader back on our screens. A lot of the younger members probably can’t remember him from the original 4.30 News.

12 Likes

From memory, David Johnston presented the 4.30 news for maybe a couple of years? Of course being a Sydneysider, it wasn’t until I really started to become interested in TV/media that I learned about his significant historical contributions to television news in Melbourne! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

He basically launched the national afternoon news service (Seven News @ 4.30) from 2003-2005. It was a very highly regarded national bulletin at the time. This was his final send off before Rebecca Maddern took over.

From memory he also launched the Ten Morning News @ 11.30am (out of Melbourne) around 1994 and hosted Meet the Press. He was reasonably well known nationally.

12 Likes

I wish more from this era had survived at Seven. Such a classy news service for the time.

11 Likes