Sunrise

Sunrise is now coming 3rd in Melbourne? Clearly Sam is no longer resonating with the audience here. Her opinions need to be brought in line from 7 management.

10 Likes

I just can’t see Sam being removed, since she’s clearly popular enough/resonates with the audiences in Sydney, Adelaide and Perth as proven by ratings, for them to keep tuning in (although Perth and Adelaide to an extent have their TV’s stuck on Seven so may have nothing to do with Sam).

3 Likes

If Seven keep falling into 3rd spot within the Melbourne market, she’ll be gone.

2 Likes

I don’t necessarily agree with this.

I believe that at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter where Sunrise sits individually in each of the five-cities, it’s where they come overall in the total people from the 5 cities (similar to Seven News who don’t win each individual five cities but still come first nationally on total people, which explains why Fergo is still Sydney’s newsreader). As long as they pull more total numbers than Today and News Breakfast, then Sunrise is still #1 Australia wide and in come the advertising dollars.

1 Like

One of the reason why Mel was moved on from Sunrise was because she didn’t resonate well in Melbourne, but Lisa did.

Melbourne also has a large add revenue for the network.

8 Likes

I don’t think that should be good enough for Seven. She needs to go or they risk losing the entire country in the long run.

Seven needs to be aiming to win every single city by every single measure. With Sam that will never happen.

5 Likes

I agree with that, however I think that moving Mel on was mostly because Michael Pell wanted Sam as the host.

3 Likes

I disagree with that, shows live and die by how they do in Sydney and Melbourne. While winning nationally is great for bragging rights, the fact is that a huge % of ad revenue is in those two biggest markets.

2 Likes

I get what you’re saying but I’m still not quite sure.

Take Seven News for instance, if Seven lose nationally, then Mark Ferguson would probably be moved on, but as long as they keep winning nationally, there’s no reason to move on Mark if they don’t need to, and they get more advertising dollars than Nine.

Not sure if they get more advertising dollars than Nine because Mark Ferguson is in the chair. Plus Nine News wins the demos so they’d easily get more advertising dollars than Seven.

I still maintain my point that Sam (and Ferguson) needs to be moved on from their respective roles. At the moment they’re both massive liabilities to the network.

2 Likes

Partly, but that wasn’t the main reason. Sunrise struggled in Melbourne for awhile. Melbourne and Sydney is where most of the add revenue comes from for the network. If you loose one of these markets… expect changes ASAP.

2 Likes

That wasn’t exactly my point though - as long as Seven win nationally, they could put Mel McLaughlin in the news chair (but I’d hope they wouldn’t) for all they care if they were to still come out on top.

Correct, I forgot about demos, which Nine win.

As much as I consider what I’m about to say repetitive, I really do wonder what Sunrise’ ratings would’ve been like had Nat or Kylie succeeded Mel or if Mel was still in the role today. Surely they’d be rating a LOT higher than Sam is right now?

3 Likes

It’d be hard to tell TBH.

Worth remembering that for every Sam hater out there, there is a Sam lover too. She does get lots of messages on her social media of people encouraging her to persist with her agenda on Sunrise and speak up for them.

How long Sam’s “agenda” is sustainable for in the long-run, well who knows.

I find it really hard to believe that she is the sole reason for the shows decline in Melbourne. People just aren’t watching 7 in Melbourne full stop and I think thats having an effect on every show, particularly news.

So very dramatic. They can’t just get rid of her tomorrow to please you, a full plan needs to be in place and in fact removing her may just cause public backfire and make the situation worst (particularly to the loyal viewers). Everyone called for Karl to be removed, so they removed him and it made it worse.

If Sunrise was to do the same, you’ll then get on here and complain why they aren’t winning and the show is more of a shambles. Seven needs to work with her more not remove her.

3 Likes

On what basis? When Sam first started and for many years continued high levels of ratings. Its only in 2020 where there’s been a narrow gap in ratings.

They surely must think that her personal opinion resonates with enough viewers to keep pushing it hard, much in the same way that Seven News in Melbourne has pushed some very very questionable COVID coverage.

5 Likes

True. Seven have completely sacked its Melbourne publicity department and most of Melbourne productions have been axed or stopped.

3 Likes

I think I am the only one to disagree.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if you agree or disagree. This is totally unacceptable broadcasting in Australia - you cannot openly endorse or encourage illegal activity.

It’d be completely different story if they got an epidemiologist on and they were the ones to make such claims, or to wish the store owner “best of luck for the future” at the end of the cross… but I would daresay there will be backlash from ACMA in the very least. Even if ACMA are completely clawless.

6 Likes