Seven News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Sharyn Ghidella presenting a special Queensland edition of Seven’s Morning News from outside Dreamworld today.

1 Like

I really hate what the producers do in Melbourne / Sydney…

Whenever there’s a major story of national significance, they never take the report from the journalist on the ground (i.e.) Bianca Stone, but instead use someone like Paul Kadak (for example) to dub-over the report to make it more appropriate for viewers in Sydney and Melbourne.

It makes journalists like Bianca appear as inadequate & Queensland appear as inferior to a 6pm bulletin elsewhere.

It happens on all commercial networks, in any major story, that’s occured outside of Sydney or Melbourne! :expressionless:

1 Like

There are occasionally hyper local references that only make sense to viewers in the story’s original market. Interstate viewers might be interested in the story, but don’t need to know the suburb or street, rather that it was in South-west Brisbane etc. Making the right content seems like a logical approach rather than a one size fits all take.

6 Likes

There are plenty of great news reporters outside of the two major media markets, but there’s a very good reason that the networks do this (particularly Seven and Nine). Viewers here in Sydney would be much more familiar with someone like Paul Kadak than Bianca Stone, for instance.

Same thing happens with Nine to the point that when it comes to major news in Northern NSW and South East Queensland, they’ll get a Sydney reporter like Damian Ryan to go up North (like he did just last week with that Gable Tostee case) rather than using QTQ or NBN reporters.

1 Like

I must here state that the last post I made about Seven and Nine’s coverage of the dreamworld tragedy was a complete mistake. I only thought of it because Seven and Nine had almost the same coverage on the Gable Tostee trials, which many members on MediaSpy called ‘copying’. However, this story is much more different and the comments I made about both their coverage is not correct, as both networks would realistically send one of their anchors to the location of this tragedy yesterday.

1 Like

But does it really matter? It shouldn’t.

I’d rather see someone like Bianca (who was clearly LIVE on the ground), than a different journalist I’m not seeing at all.

FYI, Bianca Stone has been around for years, dating back to Ten News’ Gold Coast bureau around 2009/2010, also covered the Brisbane flood disaster in 2011.

Both Bill Macdonald and Sharyn Ghidella anchored the bulletin live from Dreamworld tonight.

Good effort by Seven.

1 Like

Bill McDonald presenting the Queensland edition of Seven’s Morning News from Dreamworld today.

2 Likes

Did you capture video ScreenTower?

Seven has done very well this year in Sydney, and with Michael Usher’s appointment two weeks ago, Seven is gaining more grounds on Nine (winning two fridays already). However, something that I should also note is that Mark Ferguson has also won on some days against Peter Overton (outside olympics), could this mean that Michael Usher won’t become Seven Sydney’s head anchor anytime soon?

1 Like

Here it is.

6 Likes

Has he though? You could probably count the number on one hand.

Please don’t. I have stopped watching Nine’s bulletins and Seven Afternoon News completely since they have become localised.

I agree. I hate having to sit through an hour of fake Felgate in Melbourne. I’d much rather see Ann Sanders presenting national content.

1 Like

Why would you do that? Don’t most people want local stories over national and international stories

[quote=“William_C, post:1172, topic:149, full:true”]
Why would you do that? Don’t most people want local stories over national and international stories
[/quote] As I have said before, on Nine Queensland for example we get 2 hours of local news, all of which is recycled for more local news on the 60 minute flagship bulletin. And it is not as if all the news is local. I would much prefer sit through Ann Sanders presenting the news over juniors (who aren’t even good IMO) like Kendall Gilding.

BTW, I don’t think it would be a problem to have both Nine and Seven live into Queensland during daylight savings and even if it means they fill the extra hour with the local Afternoon News. Obviously, Western Australia is different and I hope both Seven and Nine invest more into that market.

Chris Reason is in the US for the election.

2 Likes

Who is going to present tomorrow’s national news?

Probably Angie Asimus

1 Like