Seven News Content and Appearance

We all know how some viewers can be adverse to change, and look what a disaster the sudden change in set and graphics was for Sunrise back in 2016. Just giving them a heads up could be a good move.

3 Likes

That’s true, though at the time I saw it as a revolution in how Seven produced its news bulletins and other public affairs programs, in the sense that the public could “watch” the news while it was being delivered live, and the Sunrise personalities could engage with the public outside after the program (though this was discontinued after COVID, save for the occasional appearance by Sam Mac or James Tobin outside the studio).

My theory is that Seven would’ve seen how the NBC produced Today and its nightly news in New York and modelled their move to Martin Place on that.

I also remember when Seven first moved in, the Morning and Sydney 6:00pm news had a background in which the viewers could watch the bulletins being produced live, but there also lied the opportunity for someone to do something silly.

3 Likes
3 Likes

At this time (August 2004) was seven the number one bulletin in Sydney?

Not quite exactly, but the Ian Ross-led product was making significant inroads on Nine’s (then) dominance led by Jim Waley. Nine News still won the year with 27 weeks won (out of 40), a result deemed not good enough by Nine bosses.

The following year (2005) Seven won all but one week, after Mark Ferguson replaced Waley at Willoughby.

How long did that set last? It looks ridiculous for a 6pm bulletin with people gathering behind the newsreader. Not sure that really thought that through.

Only about five-and-a-half months from memory. It was in February 2005 when a permanent set (the twisted metal one that would later be rolled out around the rest of the country) was installed; by this point bypassers would be able to see the newsreader front-on as opposed to behind him/her.

In those early days, Seven would show shots of Martin Place and/or the studio on returning from ad breaks.

Credit: Matt01video

4 Likes

Oh yes I think you’re right. Wonder why it was canned.

1 Like

Sydney breaks into programming

3 Likes

Maybe I am cynical but does that warrant a break into programming?

5 Likes

Surely it was just during an ad break?

Even so, like surely regular updates and the next bulletin would suffice.

Could be part of building a reputation/perception in the market for the best news service - they could use this in an “only Seven News” campaign.

Edit: Looks like this will be the number one story in Sydney tonight - so Seven can go with “First on Seven” if they wish.

2 Likes

After a brief mention earlier, Seven has now switched to live coverage of city fire. Providing rolling coverage, with no adverts.

4:50pm still continuing with coverage, no ads. Excellent coverage from Seven.

First on the scene

Coverage continuing past 5pm.

Seven finished coverage at 5:10pm.

8 Likes

According to the Nine News page, 7 were about 10 minutes behind. Why was that? Don’t they share the chopper these days? Or did 9 have exclusive pictures before the chopper?

That’s correct on Seven’s rolling coverage starting 10 minutes after Nine’s. Seven were just covering other stories - even went to a break before picking up the coverage. Nine’s only pictures came from the pool chopper. Once Seven got going, though, they were very good.

6 Likes

Up on the Sunshine Coast, and the editing of the Brisbane bulletin from 60 mins to 30 mins looked a bit clunky tonight… seems like Max and Sharyn were reading “coming up” previews then they crashed part way into Sharyn reading the next item… is it normally like this? If so, I imagine Albury is similarly affected with the editing of the Melbourne bulletin.

1 Like

I have seen bulletins where they read the first two headlines then abruptly cut to the opener

1 Like

The move over day is in early June.

8 Likes

Out by EOFY as predicted

1 Like