Seven News Content and Appearance

What’s with the different supers in Adelaide? Other states seem to know how to make them not be so big when they don’t need to be.

Not sure if the opener for Seven Queensland was intentionally different. After the shot of the set from the side a camera that usually stays centred on Max slowly drifted to a wider shot that highlighted the live backdrop. I suspect it was an error because before the bulletin started there were a few seconds of back screen.

Later it was back to normal. Ironically I thought it was a great innovation!

6 Likes

I’d say the robotic camera was accidently programmed for a screen graphic.

1 Like

Or for the framing they use when theres two presenters.

2 Likes

I don’t really mind this shot

3 Likes

I much prefer it to their afternoon news angle.

1 Like

Melbourne seeing Sydney’s 4pm news with Chris Reason. Complete with a Sydney weather bulletin with Angie.

5 Likes

Mike Amor did an update before 4pm; must be issues.

4 Likes

Looks to be a national bulletin going also to other markets. Strange that Chris describes it as Sydney’s news.

Timing of this caption was ‘suboptimal’ . The location was shown on screen when Steve Hart was reporting from the studio.

2 Likes

Must have been a late change to a national bulletin, and no one thought to change the autocue or weather.

Adelaide still had local news at 4pm, issues in Melbourne only?

2 Likes

How embarrassing that this happens every year.

Typical Sydney-centric attitude.

3 Likes

I think the plan was for it to always be a combined Sydney/Melbourne bulletin given the national backdrop, but they mistakenly left Sydney in the autocue/weather graphics. At this time of year it’s not uncommon to have national bulletins when many staff are on holidays and newsrooms are short staffed. Mike Amor was probably just doing updates and then preparing for 6pm.

2 Likes

Get used to it. When revenue for free to air really drops off, the networks will be forced to make cutbacks. I’m sure there will eventually be a move to only providing national/timezone broadcasts eventually.

2 Likes

I agree. Look at the US, UK and NZ. They have all national bulletins. I am surprised Australia has more localised ones.

US local bulletins air at 11pm before either Jimmy Kimmel’s, Stephen Colbert’s or Jimmy Fallon’s respective late night shows

1 Like

in the US affiliates generally supplement national bulletins with local ones.

1 Like

I don’t think you can really compare the US or UK. They have many affiliate local broadcasts.
The US especially have more local bulletins throughout the day than our states do.

4 Likes

And the UK is about the same size as Victoria but has nearly triple the population. While the US has more than 13 times the population of Australia.

Nevertheless, they will eventually have to cut back too when revenue disappears.