Seven News Content and Appearance

“The monarchs have been named” but not by Seven in their bulletin tonight.

6 Likes

How awkward. As if anyone seeing the footage don’t know it’s Hitch :rofl:

Bit of course they wouldn’t celebrate a industry legend for 3 seconds on air :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Unless if it was Mitch or if Hitch worked on Seven instead of Nine :wink:

2 Likes

It’s just sad that the only time they will reference a major media personality who may be on an alternate channel, is when they die. It’s sad.

5 Likes

Such childish and petty behaviour between Seven and Nine, you’d never see this sort of thing between networks in other countries.

13 Likes

New Zealand is somewhat similar in this regard, smaller protective markets I guess?
The US and UK are definitely more embracing and acknowledging of other networks talent.

2 Likes

Did 9 ever give Moomba extensive coverage when 7 were the sponsor?

2 Likes

What sort of coverage did 9 give Jane Bunn when she was Moomba Monarch?

4 Likes

Pretty sure Nine did mention the King and Queen of Moomba pretty much every year and by name. It’s a city event it’s not “seven” or a “nine” event. They are just a media partner.

Granted they probably didn’t, though Bunn has only been on metro tv for about 8 years. I’m not saying either network is any better really. However Hitch is an industry icon and the nicest man you will ever meet.
My point was that the only times people of rival networks are mentioned by name is when they die. It’s childish and immature. Heaven forbid we mention the name of a person who might not be on our payroll!

Especially now when the city needs events like this to revitalise. Media should be doing the best to unite rather than continue this rift in pretending the other doesn’t exist.

They wouldn’t have an issue mentioning a radio presenter who would be given the honour, why does it have to be different for a TV network that’s not your company? All media companies are rivals these days no matter the medium.

1 Like

I mean, Moomba’s pretty basic. I used to live walking distance from the parade and I think I caught the end of it once.

It’s not that big a deal in Melbourne - there are many other events that bring Melbourne to life moreso than Moomba throughout the year… So I’m not sure why it is even broadcast, to be fair.

1 Like

I agree 100%, If Moomba gets a telecast, then why doesn’t the Royal Melbourne Show etc. get coverage?

1 Like

It’s mostly because of the history of the Moomba parade. It’s a festival and dates back to 1955. It’s a celebration of all things Melbourne. The parade is the only thing that’s telecast outside of news reports.
Which is floats, ethnic groups etc.

May be a basic festival but we need anything that’s community based and engaging now to revitalise the Melbourne CBD as it’s a ghost town. Sure it’s not something you’d see overseas but it has significance in the city.

3 Likes

I disagree, not surprisingly. And given the location of the parade, I’m not sure how many CBD businesses will benefit from it.

I just paid my City of Melbourne rates and so I can think of better things for them to be doing to get people back in to the CBD.

Equally, I can think of better things for 7 to spend their money on. No big loss for them.

1 Like

International Grouch Day was yesterday, not today. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

The CBD may be quiet but the suburbs and suburban shopping strips are thriving - why force people to one part of town if they’re happily spending money closer to home? CBDs need to adjust to the new reality of 2-3 days in the office in a best case scenario.

Anywho, Moomba is a bit embarro and I didn’t even know there was a parade despite living here for 10+ years. Most people I know simply take the long weekend and spend it with family and friends. There’s no marketing, no one seems to care.

2 Likes

That’s fine. We can disagree about the importance of the festival.
Again, my main point was it’s childish - the network rivalries that you won’t even mention a persons name because they are on a rival network. If it was anyone else they would have. It’s a shame.

I believe that is what will happen with 2-3 days a week, but we can’t just let the city die. The amount of business that have already gone and we can’t let that continue to happen. There are huge office buildings in the city. Do we just let those sit dormant?
They need to try everything they can to encourage people to go in any any capacity and this is one (if minor and “embarro” ) that can aid toward that.

Anyway getting off topic now.

2 Likes

Last time I checked there’s not many shops on birdwood Avenue

2 Likes

People don’t just magically drop in at Birdwood avenue out of thin air do they? They get transport in, might go for a drink or lunch first. Or go for dinner or drink after being at the festival. If you’re in the city you’re more likely to go off and wander to do other things after being there.
That’s like saying “there isn’t a cafe in my building” (even though most do/did)
People if at work in the city will then go and wander to get lunch / coffee etc.
Let’s not turn this into a splitting hairs debate and you’re detracting from my point, which was initially about Seven News report…

1 Like

It’s hard to imagine Seven News not mentioning Bert or Graham during their reigns in the past.

2 Likes

Yep, the only time they were mentioned is if they were out of contract at a network.

1 Like