Seven News Content and Appearance

Probably because of the Winter Olympics coverage, more exposure for the news brand.
If Michael Usher was doing it, it was probably pre-recorded given he’s also doing Sunrise.

1 Like

Adelaide last night:

8 Likes

The Australian reports that Seven News Brisbane has a new philosophy of going ‘aggro’ on Annastacia Palaszczuk. The word around the Brisbane newsroom is that getting tough on the Queensland Premier is a potential ratings winner formula in the market where Seven are struggling.

On Tuesday, Seven reporter Emily Arnold travelled on the Queensland Premier’s VIP jet with a pool of reporters from other networks to Bundaberg where Palaszczuk was holding a press conference. Arnold interrogated the Premier with 12 questions, with Palaszczuk challenging her to name any integrity issues, when Arnold replied “There are many issues, I don’t think I need to explain them to you.”

Arnold’s news bosses were thrilled with the feisty exchange, as Seven News Brisbane just beat Nine News Brisbane across the hour by 3500 viewers in the capital on Tuesday night.

2 Likes

That approach has not worked for them in Melbourne throughout 2020 / 2021.
I’d argue that part of the reason they’ve focused so much on the return of Bec is to soften the reputation they’ve built up over the last couple years when it comes to the agenda that Seven Melbourne was pushing in relation to management of COVID by the Victorian state government.

I’d hope they’re not making decisions based on the ratings achieved on a single weekday bulletin.

7 Likes

Sounds like they are just copying Nine Brisbane that have had that approach for years. Time Arvier is the reporter that fulfils that role for Nine and has many “feisty” exchanges as media conferences.

3 Likes

As a viewer, I’ve actually noticed this change. Though Ben Murphy isn’t your answer.

1 Like

Breaking news during Super Bowl

3 Likes

white doesn’t work there, a little hard to read

6 Likes

Only because of the background picture at the time, that is what happens when scrolling text has no background itself.

3 Likes

Why was this not able to wait until an ad break?

1 Like

Considering the number of weeks Seven News Melbourne won increased in 2021 (though still trailing Nine significantly), don’t think you can definitely say that:

3 Likes

What a stupid philosophy if true. It didn’t do much for Bianca Stome previously.

3 Likes

And this ties into what I was saying a few months ago.

9 outstrip 7 in terms of sensationalist content and 10/ABC outstrip them with their straight down the line reporting. I think I said then that 7 were stuck in a middle ground where they had the odd sensationalist report but mixed with solid stories, and were not committing exclusively to either approach.

It’s a shame that BTQ have chosen to follow the formula of QTQ, which although a ratings winner is not what a flagship 6pm bulletin should be (which probably is more of a reflection of the SEQ viewing market than 9)

3 Likes

Looks like more than one nurse… :thinking:

4 Likes
4 Likes

Man wrongly named Cleo Smith abductor by 7 News reaches settlement with the network.

4 Likes

Wonder if 7NEWS Melbourne will acknowledge Peter Hitchener being named Moomba King…. Will be an interesting report to see

1 Like

Twister metal was iconic!

1 Like

I’ve said this before as it’s slowly made it’s way across to the regional news.

1 Like

Gold Coast Update:

2 Likes