Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Mark Ferguson and Seven’s News coverage to date…superb. Keep it up Seven.

It would probably be a bit harsh to say that the entire news department should be sacked, but I would definitely be in favour of new management and replacing Mark Ferguson with someone else.

Dare I say it, Seven could probably do a lot worse than trying to lure over people from Nine. They did it over a decade ago during the old “Make The Switch” era of news & current affairs, maybe they need to do it again.

I completely agree. It’s time for Seven to start being a bit more engaging with the On-Air Presentation by doing more standing presentation, facing the screen to talk with reporters and that sort of thing. I know that Nine News has done it in the past but I think they may have cut back on it especially since the move to automation.

Of course, the content of Seven News Sydney seriously needs improving as well. We all know that Seven News is capable of providing viewers with quality content when the big stories break (as proven by the not insignificant number of awards they’ve won in recent years), but Seven News’ content often leaves quite a bit to be desired on a regular day to day basis. A lot can be said about the often Western suburbs-centric content of Seven’s Sydney 6pm bulletin, personally I think that Seven are very lucky that Nine haven’t yet responded to that with a “We don’t just cover one part of Sydney, we cover ALL of Sydney” type promo.

In conclusion…if Seven News Sydney (although this could probably be said about Seven News on the East Coast generally) wants to become #1 in the ratings again, they need to be winning nights and weeks on a regular basis and to do that, they need to increase the general quality of their Content and On-Air Presentation so viewers are compelled to tune in again tomorrow night and the next night and so on. At the moment, unfortunately I’m not so sure that they’re doing that adequately enough…

3 Likes

Perhaps Seven News Sydney is reading this blog - tonight’s opening was quite different and swish! And that revolting Sydney backdrop was nowhere to be seen. Fingers crossed it lasts!

4 Likes

Let’s hope they are.

1 Like

If you’re referring to the titlecard, Seven News Sydney have used it on an on/off basis since 2011.

Personally, I still think they need to update the footage in the Sydney titlecard like most other cities have done! It’s not as if Sydney hasn’t changed at all since 2011-12 either. For a start, Darling Harbour (which admittedly you’d probably only be able to see if you looked closely enough at the footage, but still) has been and still is changing…

3 Likes

We can only hope.
But a backdrop and title cards don’t make people tune in or stay tuned in.

3 Likes

Was watching the recording of the late night news updates.

2 Likes

They’ve been using those side-on wide shots for a few weeks now, I agree they look quite good.

I’d go a step further and say a whole new opener is needed. I don’t think the current one sets a particularly good tone for the bulletin, especially compared with the excellent opener they were using a decade ago.

4 Likes

It doesn’t suit the new theme song at all. Even on the news updates… It’s just so miss matched.

2 Likes

I completely agree.

As I’ve probably said before, it’s funny (and sad in a way too) how Seven News had better production standards a decade or more ago than they do right now!

3 Likes

Seven led tonight with that the attacker in Hornsby was yelling Islamic slogans, with a report by Robert Ovadia who said witnesses had told him so.

As far as I’ve seen no other media or personal witness accounts have mentioned anything like that.

Might have they got it wrong?

Update: Robert wrote a post on Facebook, standing by the claims and saying they were verified by multiple sources - https://www.facebook.com/RobertOvadiaNews/posts/248340385546719

3 Likes

If Seven did get it wrong, I would really like to hope (to say the least) that it was not intentionally wrong…

2 Likes

Compilation of NSW news intros

9 Likes

the morning show graphics made an interesting special appearance during 7 News Sydney tonight. anyone get caps??

2 Likes

7 News Brisbane has won at least two nights in a row this week. Weekly win perhaps? The Chase Aust very strong at the moment

Weekly results posted here

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/seven-v-nine-news-ratings-comparisons/514/66?u=tv.cynic

Melbourne has a new end board featuring the weeknight team.

6 Likes

Yep. A warmer looking one, basically the same though.
I’ll upload that and the latest Tim Watson, Jane Bunn promos too.

1 Like

No presenter intro voiceover or finance report tonight in Perth.

Sue presenting solo.

3 Likes

No finance because Asx was closed for Queens birthday holiday on the east coast

1 Like