Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

11 people being injured by a car is a lead news story, Covid-19 or not. Would it have led perhaps in the first, soul-sucking week of this crisis as everything shut down? Probably not.

9 Likes

The set is poorly designed in terms of displays. The whole main display needed to be curved similar to Nine News. 75% of the display is flat which leads to these awkward presentations and the anchor trying to face the screen without snapping its neck.

I’m confused about why the display behind the sports anchor is square. Surely a standard widescreen would’ve been a better option. This would also allow for more room to position the desk. I think the set is just oversized for the space leaving little room to do different presentations.

When I see this set I think of the shoebox where Today Show is being presented currently.

5 Likes

That ridiculous gap between the two screens is also quite jarring. Surely they could’ve made it flow better by connecting those two screens as one curved screen (like Nine and 1 News NZ)?

There’s also limited opportunities for different presenting positions on the set, which means that we’re usually stuck with the same angles or those really bad looking ones.

3 Likes

According to Seven Sydney’s Afternoon News on 21/5 (recorded by @SamSamTV) , they finally have gotten rid of their watermarks. Took way too long to make the change.

1 Like

The upcoming news at 6pm segment on 4pm news (Sydney - 22/5) - different backdrop was used?

Compared to

And Adelaide still using old 7News.com.au endcard?

Nearly forgot - thanks @SamSamTV !

2 Likes

Well to be fair the end card used by Adelaide does look much more better. TBH I miss the original end card with the Australia backdrop and that voice: “7NEWS.com.au: Happening Now.”

The backdrop has been around for a while so nothing new

I don’t remember that voiceover, must’ve just missed that.

I think they got rid of it when they introduced the end cards - the one I mentioned above

1 Like

I didn’t say that, I just mentioned that it was different but no harm done

I prefer it. When The Latest is slotted in at 7pm, Adelaide sometimes gets a second or so of the ‘new’ one immediately following the old one. A before and after, if you will. When you see them like that, the old version wins hands down.

3 Likes

Agreed the new one is hideous

2 Likes

Look at the two different photos. What happened to the first with the watermark? @SamSamTV

what do you mean?

The tease had the footage cropped into the center of the action. The story itself, particularly that shot, featured the CCTV footage uncropped. Since the action now is focused at the top of the screen, 7 slapped their watermark up there.

2 Likes

Nice explanation, thanks :+1:

Was referring to the abnormally different positioning of the watermark on the first.

Last night for Seven News Perth the opening shot, for the beginning of the news, the “lovely” green screen displayed moving images of the storms that have been battering Perth, instead of the usual city skyline at night. Just something different from usual.

11 Likes

Different, but still absolutely terrible.

Have I mentioned that desk sucks?

5 Likes

To be fair I guess the design is fine but it is too big and doesn’t fit properly with the green screen surroundings?

3 Likes

no :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like