Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Another angle from Janes Instagram

9 Likes

Wait, Mitch is presenting Sunday’s now according to the promo I just saw

4 Likes

Dodgy imitation of Nine’s setup with clearly less thought given to the technical aspects that make or break a set. Farkin awful image quality on those screens. I was waiting for Youtube to kick up the quality and then realised that’s how it was actually broadcast…

Static opening shot and straight to a closeup is much less dynamic than the competition also.

4 Likes

The average viewer might not critically analyse every little detail like we do here but they absolutely do make viewing decisions based on the look, feel and tone of different bulletins.

Obviously the best set in the world won’t save you if you’ve got a terrible presenter and/or poor content but equally you could have the best presenter in the world and the most amazing content and people wouldn’t watch if it wasn’t visually engaging. Presentation matters.

I think in this case we’ve seen Seven do the bare minimum whereas Nine recognises that there is sometimes value in spending money on things that don’t necessarily impact directly on ratings/revenue.

6 Likes

Perth has the new Opener Graphics, Caps:

And a slight glitch when the mini Super Graphic shortened a little too early before the next transition:

6 Likes

First line complaining that it is an (dodgy) imitation of Nine
last line complaining that it’s not imitating the opposition at nine

Poor buggers can’t win :persevere:

ps. not having a go at you in particular KVZ, if you look thru today’s posts it has been done all too often.

ÂżQue?

Dodgy imitation means the imitation was defective. Seven’s set is much more rigid technically than Nine’s, which is his point.

3 Likes

If Seven News really insists on using blue in its graphics package I suggest they make the blue darker almost black mixed with grey like I’ve done below.

I’ve always wondered who is responsible for deciding that there needs to be new graphics packages, whether it comes from the graphics department who get bored with it or head of news…

Because If I was responsible I would make one whole new look not just minor tweaks here and there which makes the whole package look out of place.

6 Likes

I can’t believe you’re all fixating over new sets and headline graphics when we could be discussing the radical change to Sydney’s weather graphics tonight…

Thursday

Sunday

Frankly I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the turning point Seven has been waiting for. Peter Overton will likely be out of a job by the end of the year.

11 Likes

Aside from the tweak to the look, it has to be said that the information we’re getting from Seven’s Sydney forecast has changed slightly too!

Removed from the map: Ryde, Oran Park, Castle Hill
New additions to the map: Springwood, Woy Woy, Hornsby, Blacktown, Liverpool, Bringelly, Camden
On both the old & new versions of the map: Gosford, Mona Vale, Terrey Hills, Manly, Bondi, Mascot, Cronulla, Campbelltown, Bankstown, Parramatta, Penrith, Richmond, Katoomba.

Presumably in a few years time, there’ll be enough weather stations due to the temperature differences across the Sydney metropolitan area to have the forecast extended so all parts of the viewing area are adequately catered for! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

While I’m at it, I wonder if there’s been locations added or removed from the state and national maps that are part of the Seven News Sydney Weather experience?

I don’t know if one can ever be 100% neutral but as someone who is not directly connected with any broadcaster, I dish out the praise and criticise to all TV news services whenever I personally feel it’s warranted.

4 Likes

A TV station in a market of 4.7 million people in Australia (7 Melbourne) gets far, FAR more viewers than a TV station in a market on 4.7 million people in the US (say NBC Atlanta, or CBS Boston) This is because FTA still dominates in Australia an the US market is so much more fragmented with dozens of local channels and 95% cable penetration.

I’ve seen local news ratings for cities the size of Sydney and Melbourne in the US (say Miami / SF) and they are a third of what 7 and 9 get. In fact ABC7 NYC which is one of the most watched local news’ in the US gets about the same as 7/9 Sydney - in NYC a TV market with 21 million people.

So when comparing markets of the same size, Australian stations get double, triple the ratings. So if you are building a set for a market the same size, that is getting 3x the viewers - why are or sets so bad? I don’t think it’s NOT funds - we are not comparing network US sets to our local sets - but rather local for local. Our sets (largely) just suck. I think it’s lack of vision, lack of creativity, lack of competition, lack of passion, lack of skill and lack of desire to shoot for something good. Australian stations have the funds - just not the desire or know-how. (NZ proves this theory)

And I agree - this 7 Melbourne set is really dated and lacks any design or thought.

The trend towards sets in Australia low quality video walls and a desk plonked in front is really lacking.

Stations in the US with video walls are doing them in 4K now. This one looks so soft and pixelated - it barely looks SD.

No multiple presenting areas. Not options for different shots. Nothing dynamic, It feels so dead and flat and basic - yet it;s brand new. And whoever said rural Ohio is right - I’ve seen sets in small US markets the size of Adelaide or Gold Coast that blow this away.

7 Likes

And while we all know sets and design and graphics do NOT affect ratings - that does not meant that stations get a pass when they pt hideous things like this to air. There are designers, art directors, news directors, graphic designers, macerating people, promo people - and people with (supposedly) great design minds, attention to detail working at each network - who should be able to do much better than this. Just because a set or graphic might not make ratings spike - des not mean that they should not be done well.

Also, if ‘The Crown’ had brilliant writing, brilliant acting, brilliant storytelling - compelling drama in every way - but sets and aesthetics were lacking - to say it doesn’t affect the appeal of the product is wrong. Likewise for just about everything consumers buy (hotels, homes, cars, appliances)

We don’t just want the best car, the best fridge, the best phone - we also are drawn to products that look nice.

To think that TV news - which viewers watch night n night out for decades - is completely immune to such consumer habits, I think is wrong.

4 Likes

Montage of tonight’s bulletin in HD:

@NewsKing the different sounding theme is at 4:58

7 Likes

Not really relevant to the topic at hand but just out of pure interest: Would you say that the Australian TV market still being relatively healthy compared to the fragmented market for TV in the United States might be one of the reasons why CBS decided to purchase Network Ten?

Although I may not always agree with you, I do rather appreciate your knowledge of the industry KICK-IT! :slight_smile:

So with Melbourne getting a new set…why is Perth the only one with a cheap CGI set??

1 Like

Because Kezza relocated Seven News to a broom cupboard at the West Australian headquarters in an industrial park with no proper studio facilities.

2 Likes

Yes, I think so - As low as Ten’s 12% share of the Australian market may seem, remember

That is about double CBS’s market share of the US - at about 6%

Smaller population base aside. Australian FTA compared to the US market - is still stronger.

In LA, TV market 18 million or so - how many viewers dos you think the #1 news at 6 (ABC7) gets? It’s about 150,000.

1 Like

needs a non-static opening shot, and get Pete a nice pen not a multi coloured biro.

Morning News will not air today due to the Grammy Awards airing from 11.30am.

2 Likes

This was the most stupid move ever and their excuse was cost-cutting. Give me a break, the studio should never have left Dianella!!!