Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

The ‘average viewer’ doesn’t decide what news service to watch based on the set, whether particular elements of said set are similar to particular elements previously/currently seen on sets used by another network, how much of one color is used in the background, whether one plasma is different to another, (insert complaint not mentioned already) and most relevant to today’s (in parts) hysteria - whether Media Spy users like it or not…

8 Likes

The ‘average viewer’ doesn’t decide what news service to watch based on the set, whether particular elements of said set are similar to particular elements previously/currently seen on sets used by another network, how much of one color is used in the background, whether one plasma is different to another, (insert complaint not mentioned already) and most relevant to today’s (in parts) hysteria - whether Media Spy users like it or not…

Finally someone with common sense
Well done Sir

4 Likes

Melbourne opener, first story and weather preview. Credit to anthony78977 on YT.

8 Likes

Fuck. Those headline graphics are shocking, I liked the other ones better and thought they were innovative and something different on Aus Tv

6 Likes

Seven News wtf…ur joking.

1 Like

Brisbane headline and coming up graphics

2 Likes

I generally agree that most people choose to watch a particular news service for the presenters/reporters they know and trust the most. It’s absolutely no coincidence that the most popular 6pm news bulletins (certainly in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney at least) are the ones with the newsreaders which have been in their respective positions the longest.

If On-Air Presentation was a major problem, Nine sure wouldn’t have smashed it in the Sydney 6pm news ratings during the Late '90s/Early 2000s (one could argue that it took Roscoe joining Seven for Nine to really bring the image of their Sydney news service into the 21st century) when they had a top presenter/reporter lineup but considerably inferior and outdated On-Air Presentation compared to what the other channels had at the time.

Personally I think the worst of the updated elements are the tacky transitions which honestly reminded me of something you’d probably expect to see in a bad mock - not broadcast quality IMO!

1 Like

Full caps of the headline / coming up graphics in Sydney (the coming up ones don’t look like they are in HD):

4 Likes

Both 7 & 9 are scheduled to begin at 7.30 (at this stage) due to sport tonight.

4 Likes

…which is why news bulletins are presented in front of a curtain with presenters wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

Stop excusing laziness. Other countries do far better at news presentation, despite continual insistence that it’s “worthless”.

3 Likes

Still, I think Perth could be trying A LOT harder with their set and presentation. I do agree that you need presenters/reporters that you know and can trust the most. That is exactly the reason why I always watch any form of Seven News over Nine News any day of the week. But it can’t be ignored that the set and presentation of a bulletin is integral to its quality, as has been proven with the Melbourne set refresh today. Thus the Perth bulletin is far far from perfection.

But my view of Rick and Sue is the same. I just don’t like them, maybe it is because the quality of the bulletins they are forced to present is so s**t?

By the way, thank you @pelican for reinforcing what I’m trying to say. Good presentation is key to the quality of anything in my views.

I hate Nine and Seven’s indecision to use the secondary text either as the location the event occured or as a secondary headline; really inconsistent.

2 Likes

Someone mentioned earlier that Melbourne used a different theme for Tattslotto and the throw to the weather tonight? Did anyone capture that on video?

Very weird why you watch perth news but don’t like the pretenters!!! Why watch!!!

I personally don’t think Rick and Sue are bad, I just think they aren’t given enough time to have a bit of banter between sport and in particularly weather with that abrupt closer that doesn’t even feature Rick and Sue.

5 Likes

I don’t really watch it but I keep an eye on what’s happening like who’s presenting each night. I like their reporters too, more the national and international ones if you know what I mean, Mark Riley, Mike Amor, Hugh Whitfeld etc. Even some of the local Perth reporters are not very good and I do believe someone else mentioned this before too. As I said before, I more often watch Sydney’s news for these stories and the good presentation, rather than Perth’s.

I’m not excusing so-called ‘laziness’ nor saying set design is ‘worthless’ - in fact, I agree with what you’ve been saying about how Nine & SBS have sets which are designed in a way to provide various presentation choices.

SydneyCityTV articulated perfectly what I’m saying - people decide to watch a news service because of its presenters/reporters, story selection, content priorities, etc. As much as we believe having modern sets which are comparable to other countries should be a priority for every channel, the priorities which the viewer holds in deciding what to watch are much different

2 Likes

Perth’s “After The Tennis” Graphic during a Tennis Ad break:

4 Likes

Well what do you know, the News might actually be on at the scheduled time! Awards are wrapping up! :stuck_out_tongue:

No it won’t. It was scheduled for 7:30 and it’s after 8:00 now!!