Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Oh dear God…it’s almost like someone has revived Sydney’s old Seven Nightly News set from the Late '90s/Early 2000s and has slightly modernised it for 2016!

Hopefully it looks a bit better on TV, although knowing Seven’s track record I’m not holding my breath!

1 Like

The only I don’t like is the background. What is wrong with a live shot of Sydney?

1 Like

My thoughts exactly !!!

3 Likes

All capital city news services, where technology allows, should use a live shot
It gives a feel of being current as said above.
7 Perth’s looping background where nobody is ever on/using the river pathetic.

2 Likes

My guess is that they want to have a point of difference from Nine* and their liveshot of the Harbour. I wouldn’t mind a backdrop loop if it looked classy (see ABC News), but neither the old or new backdrops from Seven are doing anything for me.

*Of course there are plenty other things that Seven News should be doing to have a point of difference from Nine ( * cough * presenters * cough * ), but that debate is for another time…

Agreed!

2 Likes

That new set looks awful!

1 Like

Mel Doyle just posted an instagram of the behind of the set with this caption:

melissadoyle7 “Renovators delight. Can’t wait to unveil our new @7newssyd set tomorrow night @mark_fergo

So confirms tomorrow night BUT… does that imply she will also be there tomorrow night or am I reading that completely wrong and she is just meaning that it is “her set” on weekends?

3 Likes

I actually thought the same when reading that tweet.

An hour of Fergo and Doyle… might not be as bad as just straight Fergo.

Why would Mel be Instagramming about the new set if she wouldn’t be able to use it until Friday at the earliest? It certainly seems quite intriguing, that’s for sure…

Also, I wonder what the chances are of Seven doing a major promotional push for the news during the tennis tonight ahead of the full relaunch tomorrow? Personally, I think that they’re quite high.

1 Like

The 7NewsSydney Twitter profile description reads that way.
But surely if a Doyle/Ferguson doubleheader was starting tomorrow it would have been all over the Sunday papers to promote it.

1 Like

When was the last time you saw a newspaper ad for any Sydney TV news service? It’s been quite a while now!

She is just sharing it with her followers, no different to what Sam is doing with the Sunrise set. I really wouldn’t read into it, she would be directly hinting it if she was moving to weeknights.

It has always read that way.

1 Like

There’s just one minor difference though, the likes of Samantha Armytage and Mark Beretta will be seen on Sunrise tomorrow because they’re part of the regular weekday team so you could perfectly understand them posting about Sunrise’s new look.

Mel Doyle most likely won’t be seen on Seven News until next Friday, so unless there’s something we don’t know about (highly unlikely IMO) then why is she posting about the new look for Seven News when she won’t be part of it on Day 1?

Because she has a decent social media following and Seven are trying to harness that to get word out?

Maybe she will be the one giving us a sneak peak/tour of the new spaces?

3 Likes

Bizarre. She’s probably doing troubleshooting this weekend, and is just doing her job promoting the network.

1 Like

In front of a green screen for the last time hopefully.

2 Likes

Since the new set is able to coexist with the sunrise set, I wonder if the Early News will be from there or green screen?

2 Likes

Most likely the set.

1 Like

Ferguson is so terrible. Did anybody else see him fluff that introduction ‘ah 200 people’.

1 Like

Theme in that opener sounds crap. All over the shop…

2 Likes