Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Which I didn’t think was in use anymore?

Viewers must of been disappointed when Australia’s Cheapest Weddings/Formal Wars was cancelled so they are making it up with the Quick Cash For Your Clothes story.

4 Likes

Yep, correct. I guess it’s still the same font family though. The text on it would look better in the heavier font on the backdrop…

I noticed Seven Queensland afternoon news used a report from 7 Local News Sunshine Coast yesterday.

4 Likes

4 Likes

The extended version of the Melbourne promo for Peter Mitchell. Pretty decent promo I think. Great use of shots and drones etc,

5 Likes

This is new? They need to do this for all OTS graphics during sport! They have the screens, why not use them?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

Yes I noticed the new graphics in sport tonight, they look okay but 7 news Sydney does seem to be going backwards again both with a busy set and the overall quality. They did seem to be improving at the beginning of the year…
Usher needs to replace robotic Ferguson asap

5 Likes

Great promo, and an honest tagline.

Seven News: Melbourne’s News, instead of the generic “Australia’s No. 1” endtag.

1 Like

& the ratings are weak again too - they were picking up last year/start of this year and they are low

It really goes without saying that Seven News Sydney need to “Usher in” their current Friday/Saturday newsreader to the main Sunday-Thursday presenting position ASAP.

Seven News Sydney will probably pick up a bit again in the ratings in October & November, but I still think Nine News Sydney will remain #1 in the market for 2017 regardless.

I agree with ditching Ferguson but I don’t think Usher is the answer. With Ten’s future uncertain, I’d be flashing the cheque book at Sandra Sully or if she’s not keen, Hugh Riminton.

I’m not a big Jim Wilson fan but he’s far better than Mel McLaughlan and should be moved permanently to weekdays.

2 Likes

I don’t think they would go with Sully solo on weeknights but what about a Sully/Usher double header? I’m not a huge double header fan but Seven seem to be struggling to find one person who brings profile, credibility and character to the role so maybe it’s time to try having two people instead. Also I think Usher would work far better with Sully than Riminton ever did, he just has a slightly more open personality (on screen at least) and seems to be able to take himself less seriously at times.

Prefer Usher to Riminton personally…I don’t think Riminton would fit well on Seven at all.

1 Like

Don’t think Sully would leave despite the future of TEN. Riminton is a better bet but it’s too blokey. My preference is (no one’s gonna agree with me), Doyle and Usher. Anyone’s better than Ferguson (maybe not Darren and Alison on QTQ).

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind seeing Natarsha, she’s been thrown around by Ten lately…

Historically, double headed news bulletins have failed and been short lived on Seven & Nine in the Sydney market while those lead by a single newsreader have been the most successful.

That is the reason why I personally believe, neither Seven or Nine are likely to try a double headed Sydney 6pm news bulletin anytime soon even though both networks have newsreaders (think Usher with Doyle…even Peter Overton with GG or Deb!) who if combined a duo, would likely make for a 6pm news bulletin that Sydneysiders would really enjoy watching!

If Hugh left Ten and presuming that he wanted to stay in TV, somehow I think we’d be more likely to see him go to one of the public broadcasters.

What Seven News Sydney really needs to work on is improving the quality of the content which at the moment, doesn’t deserve to be #1 in the ratings IMO. But knowing the histories of Seven’s current director of National News & Current Affairs as well as the current director of Seven News Sydney (previously of Today Tonight and talkback radio respectively, enough said really), I’m not holding much hope for an improvement anytime soon.

3 Likes

Their content was what led to the demotion of Chris Bath and later Melissa Doyle. Seven’s Australia’s No.1…at treating their talents like shit.

Douboeheaders are not Sandra’s strength. Bill Woods constantly looked petrified of what she was going to say, she ad libs a lot, and there was always an awkwardness between her and Riminton.

Riminton is good solo and IMO better than Usher. Deb Knight is another Seven perhaps should try to snag. They should have gone after her rather than Usher in the first place.

1 Like

I personally don’t think that she would leave Nine, especially how she was rewarded by Nine after being sacked by TEN.

2 Likes

If it meant fronting the main bulletin, I believe she would jump ship quick smart. Overton isn’t going anywhere anytime soon and she is behind Georgie.

2 Likes