Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

We can probably rule out Seven News Brisbane/Gold Coast and Perth immediately. Personally, I find Sydney and Adelaide’s the ‘best’ of the lot, each having good and bad elements.

1 Like

I find there’s nothing wrong with the Gold Coast set (other than the fact that it was heavily influenced by the Brisbane set), and if Perth’s can put a live skycam of perth on the background we can probably say it’s ‘one of the better ones’.

1 Like

I actually don’t agree with most people that say that nine Sydney’s set is better than seven Sydney. I was watching 9 the other day and the set looks soooo dated, whereas I find 7’s looks a lot fresher, modern and a lot more versatile. There is one major downside, and although I love the desk, you cannot have more than 2 people. For example, last US debate, Chris Reason was on set and some other bloke was in the newsroom due to not having another spot at the desk.

In saying that, the average viewer (that is anyone not on media spy) could not give a shit about the set.

Obviously that’s all my opinion so don’t shoot me.

5 Likes

This maybe true, but viewers will very much care if the set has a lot of sloppy stuff and looks all messed up in front of the presenter, and this will make the network lose reputation within the city (this doesn’t happen a lot).

1 Like

That’s one of the brilliant things about Media Spy, the differing opinions that people have! :slight_smile:

Another major downside to Seven News’ current Sydney news set compared to what Nine uses: They still have to do chroma keyed presentation for weather, because the screen that they have on the right of the set isn’t big enough to allow for that sort of presentation and legible weather graphics (especially in SD). The other networks in this city have for some time now been presenting weather in front of a screen/videowall since it allows for better On-Air interaction, so I think Seven could do a lot worse than doing a slight tweak to their Sydney/national news set to allow for a larger sized screen or videowall for weather presentation.

I do agree that Nine Sydney’s current 6pm news set starting to age and could do with an decent update (and by that, I do NOT mean a Perth-style set - it’s bad enough that we now have that new look for graphics IMO), but that’s a debate for another topic.

2 Likes

I thought Adelaide’s weather was presented from a green screen as well.

Does that mean Brownie and Angie move from that plasma to the green screen during the report? I thought they just stood there and got the weather out on the spot! Also is that plasma screen they use the same as the Sunrise screen?

I was referring to the other networks in Sydney, but I thought Seven News Adelaide presents their weather in front of a videowall…unless that has been changed recently, of course.

From what I’ve seen, Brownie & Angie present the start/end of the forecast in front of the plasma but the rest from the green screen.

Yes, I believe that the plasma screen is the same as the one Sunrise uses. In any case, a larger screen on the set could probably benefit both the news and breakfast TV!

2 Likes

I just remembered. A bulletin of Seven News Sydney leaked the green screen. When brownie finished his weather, the glossy floor reflected the green screen next to the plasma. Sadly did not get a snapshot though :frowning:.

1 Like

The way weather is presented hasn’t really changed much in the past 40 years or more. It’s just someone standing in front of a display of some sort with a couple of maps covered in numbers. Followed by some pretty graphics to show a forecast.

Mike Bailey in 1983

3 Likes

Although in the old days the forecast only looked as far as the next day. None of this 7 and 8 day forecasts like they present now.

4 Likes

Seven News Melbourne is the only one in Australia that currently does 8 day forecasts though, right?

In any case, it’s to my understanding that some of the local stations in the US these days do wait for it…10 day forecasts! :open_mouth:

possibly, I’m not sure.

There was a forecast for the next day then an outlook for the next two.

3 Likes

You can see the reflections most days, both on the floor and on the silver border around the plasma.

1 Like

Which Seven News studio is your favourite

• Seven News Sydney
  • Seven News Queensland
  • Seven News Gold Coast
  • Seven News Melbourne
  • Seven News Adelaide
  • Seven News Perth

0 voters

It’s this Jane Bunn thingy that Melbourne is trying to do. On Saturdays and Sundays when Jane isn’t presenting, the forecast is a normal Seven Day Forecast by Jennifer Keyte.

1 Like

And if you can be bothered analysing it, she’s almost always wrong on the eighth day. In summer by up to 20 degrees!

A pointless attempt at finding a point of difference from the others.

1 Like

Jane has been presenting weather on Sunday’s for a long while now.

1 Like

Why the hell is Victoria getting coverage of the Gable Tosspot court case? It really is not that high profile. Totally unnecessary. I would argue rolling coverage is not even required in Queensland. It’s just shameful.

As a news buff I enjoy it, but why don’t they just have a 24 hour news channel. The average viewer probably thinks what the hell and why the hell am I seeing this.

6 Likes

[quote=“NewsKing, post:2526, topic:103”]
why don’t they just have a 24 hour news channel
[/quote]That could be in the works. If the deal of buying out Sky goes through.