Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

You talk so much rubbish, so often. I haven’t watched Seven News in at least a year, but they’re used every other day - and have been for years. Secondly, on what basis do you say that no news happen in Perth?

Actually, more specifically, I’ll put it to you like this: please tell me what news events happen in Melbourne, that require a chopper, that don’t happen in Perth?

Yeah, we know that. You don’t have to bamboozle us. We’re not stupid. We read your statement. The chopper in Perth is hardly ever used, and no news happens in Perth. Wrong on both counts. But then again, you’re always wrong.

Shorter bulletin? What, does the Melbourne bulletin have an hour of news articles brought to you from the chopper that just magically darts from location to location every two minutes? They’d be used once per broadcast no matter how long the bulletin is.

As for lower ratings, Seven News in Perth barely rates that much lower than Seven News in Melbourne or Sydney.

It is. I don’t know why some of the children here watch it so obsessively.

5 Likes

How embarrassing.

4 Likes

They might as well just have the Perth feed then.

I thought Seven news was on an amazing track this year. Amazing relaunch of the mission, amazing set in Sydney. very nice graphics. Then they launch that horrific globe as the backdrop. Ay ay ay

Seven recording another pretend ‘live’ cross – his fake nodding is interrupted though:

5 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but why the TEN-10 SYDNEY slide at the end?

1 Like

Most likely networks were pooling the feed / link and as a result was sent to Ten Sydney before being played out to the rest of the networks

5 Likes

You do realise “simsats” or “look lives” are standard across the industry -from 7, 9 10, ABC, CNN, BBC etc… Lane Calcutt (the 9 News reporter seen in the first frame of your video) also recorded a simsat.

4 Likes

Yes, I realise that. I’ve seen them from several different networks. It seems more common with 7 compared to the other Australian networks though, from what I’ve seen on the satellite feeds.

As an example, from the full version of the posted video, I don’t think Lane Calcutt or any of the other reporters were trying to make it seem live. Only Mark Riley did the nodding at the start and the “back to you” at the end of his report.

Read_It_First is correct – it’s a pool feed and all the networks used the same camera crew.

Edit: Here’s the full video, if anyone’s interested. It shows all four networks’ reporters recording their stories:

5 Likes

Sure but other networks don’t pass it off with a fake live compete with head nodding.

Choppergate anyone?

Seven’s entire afternoon news is done like that. It’s not presented as being live (ie there’s no question off the top, no split screen etc) so I’m not sure what the problem is.

…and I’m pretty sure that Nine do similar pieces for their national bulletins as well.

1 Like

They did split screen to Riley on the weekend.

are you kidding? these are done all the time. they don’t say it’s live.

I wasn’t saying they did in these instances, I was referring to when 9 Brisbane pretended to be live on location in the chopper and they were actually on the helipad at the station (I think it was).

2 Likes

they were live in the chopper… the chopper just wasn’t where it said it was.

Correct

which is lying. a live-like cross is standard practice and not lying.

2 Likes

Seven News Perth, which has gone crazy downhill over the last 2 years with silly reports every day about Nic Natanui, a West Coast Eagles footballer, is going one better tomorrow.

Now that the football season is just about over, and they can’t harass Western Australians about actual football news any longer, we have a puff piece “Nic Natanui vs Daniel Ricciardo” being promoted. As in, the F1 racing driver, driving against Nic Natanui.

Separately, one of the Fremantle Dockers is heading overseas. Nat Fyfe. Overseas mission they tell us. Never mind the fact that EVERY footballer on earth travels overseas during summer breaks for training camps etc. We need a special report that he is heading away over the summer.

They’ve simply lost the plot, and are just trolling now. They know most of their viewers are over 55’s (and probably have dementia?) and so just keep bombarding them with the most nonsense news imaginable. Over and over again. The same nonsense, promoting their ridiculous overspend on the AFL rights.

Some journalistic standards board/agency seriously needs to investigate Seven News Perth.

You say that like they’re mutually exclusive. It is standard practice, and it is deceptive to viewers.