Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Or, in this instance, 10 thousand, which is dangerously mixing the two.

It’s a subject of quite a bit of debate. I do typing for my day job and for any number ninety nine or below, we’re supposed to type it out using letters. 100 and above should use numerals. However, news organisations’ style guides (at least in Australia) dictate that numbers between one and ten should be written using letters, whilst 11 and above should use numerals.

At 10,000 however, there’s no debating that it should be numerals, at least in print and online journalism anyways. I wonder if that screenshot above is in violation of Seven’s style guide (assuming they have one and use it, of course)…

1 Like

I agree with this…

Letters below 10, numerals above.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t it be $10,000 anyway, as you should use numbers rather than letters for a monetary value?

4 Likes

I agree, One Hundred And Ten Percent!!! :smiley:

4 Likes

Don’t you mean per cent? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

New promo airing in Sydney tonight:

Not bad at all (interesting to note the inclusion of “most awarded” given discussion here a few months ago) though really it would be better if Mark’s involvement was limited to just standing there smiling.

4 Likes

They are more trustworthy than The Daily Telegraph? I’d agree.

Something a bit Mike Moore Frontline with that promo

Can someone please tell Seven that the “We’ve got the news” and “You can’t miss the news” type promotional lines are rather pathetic and unoriginal?! And I’d certainly like to see the “Most Experienced” and “Most Trusted” claims get Fact Checked!

Aside from that, the promo is OK-ish but definitely nothing particularly amazing IMO.

While it’s quite arguable that Mark Ferguson is the Mike Moore of Seven News Sydney, I still think that you’d be hard pressed to find a more Frontline-esque promo than the “She’s in your lounge room, even your front yard” Tracy Grimshaw promo for ACA! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

“Switch to the number 1 news in the country”

Well what the hell is the number 1 news in the city then?

6 Likes

I think we all know by now that “Australia’s #1” (and derivatives of it) is the slogan that you use when you’re not rating #1 in your local market…

4 Likes

Welcome to branding 101, where any opportunity to boast and spin must be capitalised on.

So does “[insert city name]'s Number One” pretty much mean you’re number two everywhere else? :slight_smile:

There are some good parts to that promo but overall there is something not right. The " into the storm- into the chaos" is just weird and cringeworthy. However, I personally like the line " you’ve got the news". Is it just me or would this promo be more suited to the tagline " That’s why Sydney is making the switch, to Seven News…" with the “most awarded”; “most experienced” and the “most trusted” lines? Mark isn’t authoritative in the promo nor is he making want to watch. If I were Seven News Sydney, they need to sell Mark a little more (obviously don’t have to if you are going to replace him).

When you’re basing your whole news service around local news it is probably just as good to be the number one in a city.

1 Like

Well I think I speak for everyone when I say I hope Seven News has enjoyed their two week run at being #1 in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. I’m sure they’ll be #1 again some day. Perhaps during the 2020 Olympics.

3 Likes

My favourite part of this promo is David Brown teaching the fire brigade about the weather.

2 Likes

7News has been number 1 in Brisbane for a few months now, not just during the Olympics.

Jane Bunn does the same!

1 Like

I’d love to see an Australian network try using a little irreverence to sell their news service. The 1980 Jana Wendt / David Johnston Eyewitness News promo is a classic piece of news advertising yet we haven’t seen anything like it attempted since. Granted, Seven would need to invest in acting lessons at NIDA for Ferguson and McLaughlin should they attempt anything like that.

I adore WPVI 6’s “there goes another Action News van” campaign. One terrific promo features some teens respraying dad’s SUV in the Action News livery and driving through the streets of Philadelphia fist pumping as they sing the Action News theme. Seven would have no problem finding fan boys happy to replicate that promo for them with a Seven News flavour.

EDIT: Found the promo on You Tube.

7 Likes