Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

They’ve started using the Sunrise plasma background wall again in Sydney.

Opener

Weather start and end

5 Likes

Doesn’t look too bad, but the graphics still look shit.

Isn’t the area in front of the sunrise plasma the marble tiles, does that mean they bring out the black floor tiles every evening just to cover that up?

3 Likes

I would have thought that wall is just a set piece they move there for the 6pm bulletin?

That 7 day graphic is appalling, took me five minutes to figure out what it was all supposed to mean. What exactly was wrong with the old horizontal format?

And they really, REALLY need to get a bigger plasma for that space. Something that fills the whole frame would probably be big enough to do the entire forecast from and possibly some standing segments during the daytime bulletins.

The whole studio has marble flooring - they have to lay out the glossy tiles anyway so it’s not really any extra work.

1 Like

I completely agree.

Seven News really needs new graphics. Definitely for the weather, but also in general.

2 Likes

The truth is the first casualty when it comes to promotions. If you believed most Seven & Nine promos recently, (insert event/drama/moment) on (insert show) is the biggest/greatest/most dramatic thing this year/this century/since sliced bread.

2 Likes

Lemme try
“PROSH 16 on INSIDE STORY is the most dramatic thing this year since sliced bread”
How’d I do?

2 Likes

[quote=“Abesty, post:1157, topic:103”]
They’ve started using the Sunrise plasma background wall again in Sydney.
[/quote] I actually prefer that but surely it is much easier and will look better to use a video wall (they have 2) even if they David Brown has to stand on the other side.[quote=“eddel, post:1160, topic:103”]
And they really, REALLY need to get a bigger plasma for that space
[/quote] Behind the Sunrise couch, they have a video wall with invisible lines so you don’t have black lines. The screens are there they just don’t know how to use the set.

God I miss David Brown in Melbourne. Good to see his talent is being appreciated in Sydney though.

3 Likes

So something along the lines of this?

@nationalnews @eddel @Abesty

3 Likes

Pretty close ratings in Brisbane and Sydney last night. The Chase much improved in Brisbane too.

1 Like

Since the videowalls are on the opposite side to the Sunrise plasma seen in the weather report, I would have David Brown on the right of Mark Ferguson.

I would actually love to see the side plasmas that just sit there as light boxes on the news set, actually be used. Use them as 2 way boxes for crosses. Integrate them into the bulletin than just letting the bridge background burn into them.

3 Likes

Yes and IMO, the very Western suburbs-centric approach of Seven News Sydney is possibly hurting it in the ratings to an extent.

Sure, Western Sydney is a growing area but I don’t think it’s particularly good idea for Seven to specifically target only one area of Sydney when like all TV news bulletins in this market, it broadcasts to the entire metropolitan area. And I’m pretty sure that most people who do live in Western Sydney aren’t totally disinterested in news that happens in other parts of the city.

1 Like

With the above in mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if Seven News Sydney moves their news studio to Parramatta, as well as changing their backdrop to that of Parramatta instead of Sydney, sometime in the future, whilst ABC, Nine & Ten stay close to Sydney CBD. :smirk:
But that would decrease Seven News Sydney’s ratings further, and that would mean local news from other parts of Sydney, particularly the Northern Beaches, Eastern Suburbs & Southern Suburbs, would get neglected, unless something really big happens there.

That being said, it’s worth noting that Seven Sydney’s original home was located within the Parramatta LGA, in which their studio was located at Mobbs Lane in Epping.

1 Like

7 Perth opened with Basil at the desk tonight. Bit odd seeing he didn’t actually do anything.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how the 7 Afternoon News is rating compared to 9? Is there a regular winner nationally? In each state?

I was thinking they were going to go to straight to bas has first story but didn’t
he could have sat at the desk once the first story went to air
bas appeared after a couple of stories to talk about Leicester city winning the premier league

[quote=“spw68, post:1173, topic:103, full:true”]
Does anyone know how the 7 Afternoon News is rating compared to 9? Is there a regular winner nationally? In each state?
[/quote]You will have to check with @TV.Cynic but here is what I know:

Nationally- Seven’s Arvo News has beaten Nine for years, I doubt the trend has changed.
QLD- I am almost certain that ever since Nine’s local edition began it has been number 1, and beats Seven’s local edition quite easily.
Melbourne- I have a feeling for some reason that Nine’s Afternoon News beats the local edition.
Perth - Seven’s local edition has always been number 1 I think.

2 Likes

Seven News is broken down into Seven News at 4 and Seven News at 4.30 pm. Nine News is “Nine Afternoon News” and “Nine Afternoon News at 5pm” (which for the purposes of comparison doesn’t count).

Last week
Seven News (averaged across 2 entries) won nationally by 60,000, Sydney by 3k, Melbourne by 6k, Adelaide by 15k and Perth by 41k. Nine won Brisbane by 5k.

But overall, the numbers are not very large and very volatile.

1 Like