Seven News and Current Affairs

Probably the first time I’ve seen a full version of Sydney’s “Presenter Rollcall” Opening Titles from that era. Did any of the other cities (aside from Perth, who hung onto the concept for ages after it was dropped here) have a similar Opener for Seven Nightly News back then?

6 Likes

Melbourne had a David Johnston-only one with a “news for Melbourne” tag in place of other presenter names. Not sure if that was the only version or some kind of reboot.

1 Like

The original talent opener from the 90s - nice! We didn’t have this in Brisbane.

2 Likes

Really loving the full bulletin uploads from this Seven News Vault channel. They seem to have a fair bit in the archive, so it’s great to see it being shared!

8 Likes

There was also a cold open style opener with David Johnston and Anne Fullwood with the 1999 opener, though I have read it was short-lived.

And another with Peter Mitchell:

6 Likes

Slightly different to the Sydney edition of Seven Nightly News in 1999, who had that quite derided “Ann walks to the plasma while Ross sits at the desk” thing after the Opening Headlines which one SMH Guide letter writer even compared to Brand Power ads!

5 Likes

Perth’s opener in the 00s featuring the presenter roll-call.

8 Likes

Prior to the roll call, in the 1990s TVW used a “live” (pretending to be live but actually prerecorded) shot of the 4 presenters at the desk with the VO saying “This is Seven Nightly News … with Perth’s number one news team”.

A nice and easy way of not needing different openers for all the presenters. I never got any recordings of that but would love to see it again some day.

6 Likes

3 minutes of different TVW openers (audio only)…

6 Likes

In 2006 TVW also kept the original “chopper” opener with the East Coast stations using a modified opener until the 2010 relaunch.

Also the “live from the studios of Seven (insert city) this is Seven News with (insert presenter)” was retained which was used in Melbourne too.

7 Likes

A short open with Paula Voce and the late Chris Mainwaring. Did East Coast bulletins had a short open during this era?

5 Likes

I’d say that the generic Seven News titlecard would’ve been used whenever the East Coast bulletins needed one for a short bulletin/updates or technical difficulties.

6 Likes

Putting aside why we’re interested in them (from a presentation POV) for a moment, they’re fantastic time capsules to see the stories which featured in each uploaded bulletin

8 Likes

The chopper! Loved that sound in the intro

9 Likes

Same here, it was quite a unique touch too! Whenever I would hear the 2004-2016 ‘The Mission’ theme before the Perth News would begin, it meant authority, professionalism, and urgency to me. The current theme doesn’t have the same charm imo.

6 Likes

Funny that that 15+ year old set looks better than their current one :rofl:

9 Likes

Perth kept their set despite the East Coast moving to the twisted metal set around 2007

Couldn’t have said it better! :helicopter:

3 Likes

OK, they’re going deep in the archive now!

ATN7 Seven National News bulletin from 1966 1970 (see post below), with commercials. Newsreader is Barrie Freedman.

YouTube: 7NEWS Vault

10 Likes

These are great uploads.
Hopefully we see some stuff from HSV7 etc.