Seven Network - Programs and Schedules

Why does it have to be reality television?

I wish the networks could move on from these multiple night shows. There is way too much choice to be able to commit to a show for so long.

Bring back drama, comedy and variety. Would love to see good Australian drama airing at 7:30pm.

4 Likes

I agree that Seven needs to look at something different for the final third of the year but I can’t see that suggestion working. Recent ratings results strongly suggest that viewers come back to formats that they know and at times they are used to. Seven has put a huge amount of effort into trying to get people to watch new formats to no effect. If they change the time of year for established programming viewers are likely to abandon them as they already have favourites to watch on rival channels. That first quarter is particularly weak and I’d see Seven running third on many nights plus they would lose the platform to promote the next two quarters.

Anyway back to the schedule above; not one first run Australia program after 7.30 and look at the 7.30 programs - another Royal program and a repeat on Wednesday; while on Nine and Ten first run Australian at 7.30 and at many 8.30 timeslots.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I still think MKR should be moved to the third quarter. Whether something else airs the first quarter is totally acceptable.

I do not agree with the fact that viewers wouldn’t follow it to the third quarter. The third quarter is very weak and The Block is calling out for some competition. It is a missed opportunity.

1 Like

MKR still help them win every week in the first quarter and sets them up for most of the year. Why would they change that and risk destroying everything?

Lucky you’re not a network programmer. You would bring the network down. :joy:

3 Likes

What you are suggesting is the equivalent of a footy team holding their best player until the second half because they think he can have more of an impact there. Meanwhile the opposing team gets a head up without that best player on the field in the first half.

Well I am the first to admit some of ideas and predictions are shockers. However, I do believe every programmer needs to take risks and MKR did not win its timeslot in the first quarter against Married. It looked flat and stale this year and I could see it continuing a downward spiral. That is why I am suggesting a move. It would give it a slight rest and inject some much needed stable content into the third quarter. With the cricket Seven has an opportunity to build a new successful 7:30 lineup.

What? That is not the same at all! That is a terrible comparison.

1 Like

MAFS dominated in the second half of the season but MKR still won early weeks and then won again once MAFS ended.

But then their first quarter would have new shoes that struggle so MAFS and I’m A Celeb cpuld grow bigger. Then MKR would struggle against established hits The Block and Survivor. Also, they’d be waiting for MasterChef to finish before they could start MKR.

Plus there is greater risk of cooking show fatigue later in the year.

1 Like

Fair enough. You post good arguments. I don’t believe we will ever find out anyway as Seven tend to play safe.

Which is probably why they keep winning every year. While they would love to win every week, you have to remember that the objective is to win the whole year. So they can afford to lose a few in the second half of the year, just as long as they keep winning the whole year.

I am not just talking about winning total people though. They also struggle with the demos. It was beaten quite easily in the demos in the first quarter and seven are clearly struggling in the demos in quarter 3. Again its just my opinion. I understand your views just don’t really agree with them.

2 Likes

Seven have tried that in the 2nd half of this year and we’ve all seen how that’s turned out…

1 Like

Sorry, where are the Australian drama, comedy and variety shows in Seven’s schedule?

1 Like

800 Words, Take Me Out, Dance Boss.

2 Likes

800 Words if you’d cared to notice? The good doctor starting Tuesday? A number of US dramas returning?

I’d be onboard with trying a 2-3 week season of Celebrity MKR in the second half of the year. They need to create some momentum coming out of House Rules.

Seven would be much more exposed to a resurgent Ten than Nine given their focus on total people and dated lineup.

1 Like

Maybe you’d care to notice what I actually wrote. AUSTRALIAN drama.

Man, you’re rude.

1 Like
  1. Fair enough, read your comment too quickly.

2. Rude how? You clearly had no idea about 800 Words they’ve been airing for a month or more, which has had a 3 year run and was once a top rater.

@killy06, no.

I do know about 800 Words but didn’t bother to mention it as it isn’t even in the schedule after next week as it’s finishing up and the fact it’s on at 9:30pm.

My comment about wanting Australian drama and comedy is about the 7:30pm slot where most programs are reality television.

I thought we’d moved on from the days of members taking offence to every negative comment about Seven.

Just sayin they don’t have much happening this end of the year.

3 Likes

Hi Channel Seven,
I just wanted to say that I support “God Friended Me”. Please can you let me know when this show will air as it has already started in the USA. I think it will be both funny and serious.
Regards,
Deidra

Hi Deidra, Media Spy is a website where members such as yourself can discuss TV matters. As such, you’re probably better off contacting Channel Seven directly to get an answer to your question

5 Likes