Seven Network 2021

Australian idol returning is a big deal. For most people watching that would have been the first they were hearing about its return. Seems like an underwhelming way to announce it.

It seemed to dominate all the coverage in the media about Seven’s Upfronts so it wasn’t the first announcement at all. It’s not happening in 2021 anyway so shouldn’t need a bigger announcement.

2 Likes

They mentioned cricket, Supercars, Tokyo but not AFL??

2 Likes

AFL was kind of mentioned all night…

5 Likes

Yes but if the promo is played any other time, it’s not included is it?

To be honest… it was a good promo. The network looks fresh and exciting for next year. I think 7 are going to do well. Unless Viacom invests more money into Network 10, I think they’ll struggle against Seven and Nine.

1 Like

Seven have come a surprisingly close second this year, despite their two major flops in MKR and HR, and the impact of covid.
They just need to turn around the fortunes of Sunrise on the east coast, and boost their news a little.

Why does everything about this promo feel so Channel Nine? Even the ‘Bring it On’ tagline has syllables similar to Nine’s ‘Welcome Home’. Terrible.

1 Like

What may work well overseas (or even on MTV & Nickelodeon, which seem to have semi-decent presences in Australia) mightn’t be the best strategy for a major Australian FTA network? Yeah, I think we all know that! Whether Ten’s parent company does is something which remains to be seen…

It’s pretty obvious which co-presenter of Sunrise needs to be moved on!

As for the news, to me it’s pretty obvious (especially since they’ve already done sets, graphics, theme music along with sports, weather and secondary presenters to limited success) they need a new main presenter + director in Sydney & Melbourne. But I’m not holding by breath for anything that will seriously challenge Nine in our two biggest cities for any extended period of time in the foreseeable future.

Yep, there’s a definite early-mid last decade Nine feel about that promo from both a graphical and programming (cricket, AGT, Farmer, The Voice, Big Brother) perspective!

We’re comparing the number of syllables now to suggest they are a copy? :laughing:

1 Like

And 9 will use “2021” in their promo for next year too. Clearly 7 have copied that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No problem with it.
No one wants to be reminded of this terrible year.

1 Like

And of course in 2008 with Get Ready, 7 must have copied the 9 Welcome Home promo from the following year 2009. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

They seem to copy the year every year. It’s outrageous!

When American Dramas rated well on Aussie TV.

1 Like

Quite interesting to see so much scripted drama front and centre in the idents from the 2000s. Seems like a century ago now, when we had many shows to watch rather than just one reality show stripped across multiple days of the week.

3 Likes

Just saw the “Bring on 2021” promo during an ordinary ad break on 7mate.

Channel Seven appears to be run by nostalgia geeks now.

1 Like

Prime version of 2021 promo

2 Likes

For anyone interested, Seven have made their full upfronts presentation available to watch online

1 Like